Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

(humility)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (humility)

I told a company that I would be recommending them... www.amvconverter.net

I have not bought anything from them so I cannot guarantee anything if you do.
    Last edited by GodJesusChristisnumberone; 10-21-2011, 05:39 AM.

I'm always thankful for everything in my life; I'm very fortunate to have the things/people/experiences/opportunities that i do.

Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

My old laptop is 10 years old running ME. I just got a netbook a couple months ago because the old one began acting up about 3 or 4 months ago. I still run the old one now and then.

Yours is 5 years old? It has a long way to go.
      "Slow down and the world comes to you." A Cat in the Hat cartoon

Comment

I was blessed over the last year to get 2 entire computer systems for $26 total.

I've got an old Dell desktop running XP given me by a pal who's a doc when he upgraded to a new system--I shelled out $6 to buy a used keyboard and mouse for it. System works perfectly, though no sound.

I've got an HP laptop I found at a yardsale for $20. I wasn't expecting much, indeed figured I'd probably just wasted my money. Works perfectly, though--sound, everything, running XP. Even has a workable port for a flash-drive. I use it for my writing. (My previous puter was an ancient Toshiba laptop I got 2nd hand for $50 years ago, without cd drive, having only a floppy drive...I figured it was time to mothball it as it was becoming increasingly difficult to find print shops who could or were willing to deal with floppy disks)

We've got one new puter (Mrs. C.'s idea, and I must admit a good one) which is in the common-room, from which I post. It's available to such friends/family as stop by. Sometimes friends will drop by just to use the puter and have a cup of coffee, which is a great inducement to stay in touch with each other and catch up on news LOL

Other than posting here and researching topics online for my writing, I use my offline laptop...keeping the freebie desktop mothballed for future writing useage. (or, to become "one more thing" for my descendants to hoe out when I "go back into the box" )
        Last edited by Celadonite; 10-13-2011, 05:23 PM.
        "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

I’ve had several computers over the years; some were deals, some weren’t. I don’t usually write without having access to the Net, C, because I love the ability to fly to thesaurus.com or dictionary.dom, or to do a quick bit of research on something I’m not sure of before I pen it.

I got my mother’s laptop after she died, and it was so slow and it was running some funky Windows, so I totally reformatted it and made Linux the operating system. It’s still slow, but it works well. Gotta love Linux – it has saved the day many times for me.

I snagged a tiny netbook when they first came out for $200 – a great deal. Eventually, I felt sorry because the woman was looking at such a small screen, so I bought her a $500 one that has a full sized keyboard and much bigger screen. She loves it.

I have a pretty good desktop computer that also runs Linux, but I’m hardly on that anymore because I got me a new BIG laptop last year. It was a cheapie, relatively, but it has all the good stuff like Win 7, a webcam, DVD burner and a 17.5” screen or something. I absolutely love it. But, when Windows decides it’s going to give me a virus, it’s back to Linux for me. The only reason I don’t run Linux all the time is that I can’t run Fritz on it, and that just won’t work.

Now, my netbook is primarily my “bot” computer. I have my computer engine connected to various chess sites, ready for folks to play. It’s pretty cool and works out well.
          Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
            I’ve had several computers over the years; some were deals, some weren’t. I don’t usually write without having access to the Net, C, because I love the ability to fly to thesaurus.com or dictionary.dom, or to do a quick bit of research on something I’m not sure of before I pen it.
            S., check out WordWeb: Free English thesaurus dictionary download

WordWeb is a truly amazing, free, dictionary/thesaurus. I use it alot when I write, especially when tired/lazy and not willing to think long enough for the right word. It has keyboard shortcuts which allow you to look up words in whatever page you're working on/viewing.

Also, something you might find useful: WikiTaxi. WikiTaxi [Delphi Inspiration]

You can download the entirety of wikipedia in one file to your puter, sans images, and wikitaxi will allow you to access it, just as if you were online. Absolutely invaluable when researching while writing (what street was it that Bobby lived on as a kid in NYC?--that kinda stuff.)

As my laptop is offline, and I intend to keep it offline, WikiTaxi is a great utility for my use.

An idea I'll throw in gratuitously, as it might be of use for someone: I set my laptop atop 4 old glass casters on its table, such casters as were once regularly used to protect carpets from indentations of couch/chair legs.

The glass casters allow for an air flow beneath the puter, and quite suffices for keeping it cool, without heat build-up. I've worked using it for 12 hours straight, and the bottom of the laptop will be barely above skin-temps. No expensive cooling-docks necessary, or interuppted writing sessions as the laptops overheating
            Last edited by Celadonite; 10-13-2011, 07:12 PM.
            "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

Working...
            X