Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

○ Let's talk music... ○

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ○ Let's talk music... ○

Do you own and/or play any instrument(s)?

Do you listen to music while you play chess, either at home or OTB?

What are your favorite groups/styles/genres?

For me, depending on my mood, Iím fine listening to music while playing chess, but I try not to make a habit out of doing so.

I like everything from classical to old country to hip-hop and rap, hair/glam rock and heavy metal, pop, and just about everything in between. The only things I wonít listen to, generally, are Hispanic stuff with accordions and new country--itís just rock/pop with a twang and itís way, way over produced.

Iíve played the drums since 1993 and I got my very own set in 1994. Iíve been in several bands along the way, and have played in both cover and original groups. I prefer originals by far, but both have their advantages.

Iíve even played Hollywood several times.

I'm picking up a nice acoustic guitar later today because I'm determined to learn. Just determined.

What about you?
    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

I've had three guitars so far, and one keyboard. Sadly, music is one of those fields that I am DEFINITELY weak at, just like visual arts. I used to be able to sing well, but during one karaoke session I think broke something. Now my throat produces excessive mucus, making it difficult for me to reach high notes.

I'm the type of person who usually doesn't like a cappella or instrumentals, so without my voice, only playing the guitar makes me feel incomplete.

I like rock, many forms, but probably the more modern kind. Examples of bands:

1. Yellowcard
    2. Sum41
    3. My Chemical Romance
    4. Mayday Parade
    5. Coldplay
    6. We Are The In Crowd
    7. Motion City Soundtrack
    8. Secondhand Serenade
    9. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
    10. Simple Plan

I am generally interested in "powerful" songs, although not the screamo kind. Heartfelt, emo songs are also in my book.
    Last edited by Rimuel V2; 07-06-2013, 05:15 AM.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
    "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

I've been playing guitar for 8 years now. I own a Gibson Xplorer model just like James Hetfield had. He still has this model but with ESP. I listen to heavy metal, mostly old school bands. Lyrics are as important as music to me so I don't really like death and black metal.

Metallica
      Iron Maiden
      Ozzy Osbourne
      Testament
      Megadeth
      Flotsam and Jetsam
      Helloween
      Gamma Ray
      Grim Reaper etc.

I haven't been in a band. I only play from time to time as angling and chess are taking most of my free time. I play more in the winter as the angling season stops in september here. I also love going to live show of my favorite bands.
      I often listen to music while playing chess on the internet. It covers more annoying noise in my house.I never listen to music OTB as there is no need to cover noise.
      Last edited by Alekhine2000; 07-07-2013, 01:21 PM.
      Regards.
      Best chess lessons:http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/....php?id=1499_2
      My blog: http://attack-inchess.blogspot.ca/
      Looking for a chess coach?: http://attack-inchess.blogspot.ca/20...s-lessons.html

Comment

I play the trumpet in two local wind orchestra and a southern dutch "carnaval" band. I own two trumpets, one for inside, one for marching and various gigs.

Mostly not. For online skittles against friends, I'll put up a song though.

I like some forms of alternative rock mostly. Mainly: Muse, Keane, Kaiser Chiefs, Travis, the Killers.. Older stuff too, Queen, U2, some RHCP, Bryan Adams, Robbie Williams (though not his current album), Blur, Toto..

I like classical just fine too, the heavier orchestral business. Opera and musical music too, so long as they aren't singing with vibrato as if they're on a treadmill operating heavy machinery while having Parkinson's. Some of my faves include the Royal Fireworks and Water Music by Hšndel. Beethoven's 7th, especially the 2nd mvt. Tchaikovsky's 1812 Ouverture and his Slavonic March.. Film music sometimes too.. Hans Zimmer, James Horner, Howard Shore..

Absolute no-no's: R&B, rap, most forms of heavy metal and basically anything that feels like it's monetised but otherwise empty.
        Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
        Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
        Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
        Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
        Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
        Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
        Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
        --Red Dwarf

Comment

Blues harp and vocals, my harp case has twenty five harmonicas in it.

I find listening to music while playing chess to be very distracting.

I play on and off with a couple bands, and blues jams 4 or 5 times a month. I have a couple students that I teach harmonica to and am looking to take on more.

Favorite artists are William Clarke, Paul DeLay, Moreland and Arbuckle, Steve Baker, and Carlos del Junco. Carlos plays very eclectic world music on diatonic harmonica.

My I pod has a few classical albums on it. I find classical and Blues to mix very nicely. Recently, I've taken an interest in jazz and frequent a jazz jam, just to listen at present.

Off Topic: I find learning music to be very similar to learning chess.

Victor
          Last edited by bluesman; 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
            Currently an electric guitar, can't recall the name, tho' I play it frequently. It's a cheapo, but has an exceedingly good neck, intonation, fretboard and bridge. Excellent action. One humbucker, two single coils, five-way. Sweet, sweet sweet little cheapo-guitar.

Over long-decades I've owned and played too-many guitars and basses, incl. several Gibsons, a Washburne, Guild, Danelectro, and so on...a ridiculous list.

I also play harmonica, tho' I doubt nearly as well or extensively as Bluesman.

I used to play tenor saxophone, and did stuff like a truly wild version of "Whole Lotta Love" on it, which would have people's jaws-agape. You don't associate sax with Zep, normally LOL

I decided long ago that cheap is good. Find a cheap guitar with good action and pickups, and that's all you need.

Amps are the tickler. I've had various Fender's and liked them. I"ve had Ampeg, Hartke bass amps, and names I don't recall anymore. When I was a kid I started playing using an old Farfisa organ amp...better than nothing, but not by much.

I'm definitely into small wattage amps now. Stacks are impressive-looking but hauling them around is too much like moving freight. And, they're unnecessary for either recording or practice. I use a ten watt practice amp now, with overdrive, and I have to play it on "1" or I'd blow my eardrums out. Absolutely raunchy distortion even at low gain. "Keith is in the house!"

Picked up another small amp at a thrift store yesterday for ten bucks, only to find the speaker was blown when I got it home...back today to get the money back.

Gear is like chess-stuff. It's a matter of whatever clicks with the person using it. I've liked cheap for over twenty years, and I recommend cheap. There's some completely sweet guitars out there that are routinely overlooked by people because they don't cost the mortgage to purchase and their fav rock-star doesn't use them.

Never. Music intoxicates me, so I listen to it responsibly, and rarely--only for study purposes when I'm trying to figure out a riff.

The Who, circa "Live at Leeds". Any non-ballad/non-disco Stones stuff. Early non-ballad Aerosmith, before they hooked up with Geffen. Cheap Trick. AC/DC, almost any of their's, especially live cuts.

JOAN JETT (go Joanie!)

Early Pretenders.

Alvin Lee circa Woodstock.

Tango.

Roy Buchanan. His "Peter Gunn" version is unsurpassed, tho' various performances of it by him were distinctively better than others.

Any New Orleans jazz stuff, marching-band stuff.

Low dosages of Bluegrass, and medium doses of any sort of polka music. (I happen to LOVE anything with accordion in it, even up to Lawrence Welk. )
            Last edited by Celadonite; 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM.
            "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

Oh! I love Alvin Lee’s Woodstock performance. He definitely killed it.

Well, I’m happy to report that I officially own a quality acoustic guitar. Like C, I’m a huge fan of not paying full price if I can. I found my acoustic guitar on CraigsList for a song.

It’s a Yamaha, and a real good one. The action is low, the wood is nice, the tone is wonderful and the volume is LOUD. I bought it not knowing a single thing about playing, and now I can play a few chords on command and the first part of a Lumineers song.

Oh, but this thing is nice...

It retails for three hundred and I paid a third that.

Comment

Haha, on the other hand I have an eye for quality items. My mum once commented that almost everything I bought end up being branded, even though I don't look at the brand while buying!

Because I'm somewhat tone deaf (or maybe my hearing just isn't that good), I had to buy a guitar with a tuner. Currently, that's my Takamine, but right now it's sitting in the corner of my room, collecting dust (in a bag, thank goodness!).

Comment

I don't play an instrument because I do not have the talent for it, just like chess. When I study or play chess, I find "harsh" sounds distracting. Soothing music or calm music or ocean waves crashing is fine, but up beat and rhythmic is too catchy for me to just concentrate on something else.

If I do listen to music, it is stuff by John Williams.

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
                  *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
                  Perfect Your Chess
                  Sharpen your Tactics
                  The Middlegame, Book I
                  ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

I don't listen to music while studying, because it'll end up being a karaoke session.

Comment

I've played different instrument, mostly violin, accordian, guitar. Haven't played much lately because of probably arthritis. I say probably because if I play too much any more my fingers give me problems.
                      I came into some money once, and I "retired" for a couple of years. I Took 4 semesters of music composition and practiced guitar and violin 5-6 hours a day. This included of course some pretty good teachers. All this before marriage.

As far as listening, Opera, classical, cuban jazz, salsa . I learned some salsa dancing with my wife who was from Peru. I'm getting hooked on django reinhart kind of gypsy playing lately since watching "midnight and paris".
                      I don't seem to be able to listen to anything while study or play chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Rimuel V2 View Post
                        I don't listen to music while studying, because it'll end up being a karaoke session.
                        I have watched the world championship qualifiers with some classics on. I will freely admit having sung along (boisterously) with Still Loving You [Scorpions] and Total Eclipse of the Heart [Bonnie Tyler], mostly keeping to the same key..

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                        Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                        --Red Dwarf

Comment

Oh, man, I've always liked Total Eclipse of the Heart--even when I was a young boy. It's a cool song.

Comment

Oh, man, I've always liked Total Eclipse of the Heart--even when I was a young boy. It's a cool song.
                            Totally over the top that one.. but so cool in group karaoke

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Working...
                            X