Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

The Official Tractor Thread ♣

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Tractor Thread ♣

I don’t know a *whole* lot about tractors and their history, but they have intrigued me since I was a boy. It seems every time I come across an article with an old tractor in it, I read the thing with vigor.

Also, well-respected forum member Celadonite is really interested in them. Because of this, I figured I’d isolate a spot on our favorite chess forum so that we can post-up the neat tractor stuff we find.

Yeah, it’s a little weird, but so are chess players; live with it.

For the first post, I’d like to direct you to a neat article I found at Hemmings blog, which I read daily. If you are into *anything* mechanical that has wheels (and sometimes don’t!), that’s the place to be.

Check it out:

Mecum’s Gone Farmin’ returns | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Dang!!

I wish I'd known that this thread was in the offing!

I actually just gave away my Tractor Calendar as I was wasting too much time drooling slack-jawed absent-mindedly up at it day-dreaming, rather than accomplishing writing.

(I "replaced" it with a world-globe, which I found reasonably priced in a thrift store. Now I can gaze up at that sitting on a shelf above me, as I slump glassy-eyed, slack-jawed and drooling instead of writing....occaisionally I even make an effort to spin the thing, so I have a different continent to trance-out over.)

Suffice to say, Oliver Wendall Douglas was a hero of mine He and his Hoyt Clagwell, which was in reality a 1918 Fordson Model F. Oliver never rode it out into the Field of Honor without being clad in his finest lawyering regalia, hat and all. The man had style.

Here's a funny site with a picture of My Hero riding the protesting Beast: Car Lust: The Most Famous Tractor In The World. Well, maybe.
    Last edited by Celadonite; 04-14-2012, 07:30 PM.
    "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

Whoa! I remember ERTYL! Do they even still make toys?

I find tractors interesting for several reasons.

1. they are rugged and powerful, and mud doesn’t stop them. Anyone not a fan of that needs their head checked.

2. they have great big rear wheels with offensively big tread. No need to go on; that’s cool enough right there.

3. abandoned tractors are creepy. That’s just a fact. I like the macabre side of things and so old farms with ghost-like tractors really get me going.

4. their history is very intriguing.

5. they were (are) the difference between starving and prospering for some. That’s important!

Check out this ‘ghost tractor’ type image I found, C:

EDIT!

ooOOOooooo, this here is what I was referring to with the creepy bit earlier. This picture is creepy, solemn, sad, and beautiful, all at once:

Comment

My Uncle Art was a farmer, and I have happy memories of toolin' thru the fields on his tractor with him. It was an old tractor, and seemed a mile and a half up in the air to me as a kid. I guess that's when I fell in love with tractors.

Getting older and actually driving a tractor, it's just insane the amount of power they have. Very slow, but very powerful. Kinda like the tug boats of the fields, tractors.

An old friend just bought a small farmstead, and a not-too new John Deere came with it. Looking forward to visiting and seeing it.

That pic is sad, creepy, melancholy. The tractor's washed up and listing, like an abandoned and decaying tug boat left to die in an obscure portion of a harbor.

Comment

Tractors? I've no love for them.

1. They clog up traffic on the roads from/to villages. Yes, there are a whole bunch of villages in the south of the Netherlands with effectively one way through. I 'fess that I've no idea how fast those things are allowed to go, but (provided there is space) I can overtake them on my bicycle doing roughly 30-35km/h (estimated); not uphill though lol.

2. You'll often hear about a group of cyclist getting under one. You're as sure to die under the wheels of a John Deere, Fendt or one of those other abominations as you trying to catch a train, literally. This being a (or rather the) country of cyclists, tractors are bloody dangerous. On the outskirts of villages on narrow roads, they generally don't want to cede any part of the middle of the road either. So you either trust the car will come out from under a tractor's wheels unscathed or dive into the road's bank (and pray those trees don't have large upstanding roots).

3. Worst of all and perhaps source of many troubles: no license is required for a tractor. If I recall there's a bill in the works to change that in 2014.

I don't hate tractors either, but I'd rather most of them kept off the public road (impossible I know).
          Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
          Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
          Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
          Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
          Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
          Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
          Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
          --Red Dwarf

Comment

This one has a few miles on it; check the tread on those rears!

Comment

It looked pretty good until I pulled off the tin and began working on it. It's a 1947 Massey Harris Pony. I'll have to dig out some pictures of my 1969 Ford 3000.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by pgmrdan; 04-15-2012, 12:37 AM.
              "Slow down and the world comes to you." A Cat in the Hat cartoon

Comment

Oh, neat! Loving that thing.

Comment

Check this out, C: Mecum’s Gone Farmin’ auction features aluminum hood Ford 9N | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

Comment

Shiny! Metal!

I gotta photo of some 1916 tractor, which rolled in our 4th Parade recently...will dig out/post eventually.

Comment

Cool action shot!

Comment

History Channel already did a show about the history of tractors.
                        See:
                        Modern Marvels — Farming Tech — Full Episodes & Video Online — H2 on History.com

I learned about tractors in grade school in the 50's.

Note that there were early tractors run by steam.
                        The first tractors were stationary and ran farm equipment.
                        The internet is loaded with tractor info.
                        Some very interesting websites.

Comment

Thanks for the vid! Real interesting stuff. Tractors are cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
                            Thanks for the vid! Real interesting stuff. Tractors are cool.

Mine is nicer looking than that one but I wish I had the headlights and tail/work light.
                            "Slow down and the world comes to you." A Cat in the Hat cartoon

Comment

Can't be too difficult to locate/hook up something that'll work, yea?

Comment

Working...
                              X