Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Limiting Postings/Quotes to 200 Words?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limiting Postings/Quotes to 200 Words?

I'm wondering how many would find their forum experience re-invigorated if we set a function to limit posts responses/quotations to, say, a maximum of 200 words per post?

There's some worry that people may be getting "put-off" by walls of text/quotations being generated in response to their questions/comments/ideas/opinions. Overwhelmed, as if by an Avalanche tumbling unexpectedly over them.

What's the general mood? Who feels what about this? Not a right/wrong question, but an honest search for possibly establishing boundaries which would promote the common-good and provide the most pleasant forum experience for the majority of people.
    "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

I suggest a limit on number of posts and or number of characters used daily.

Alternatively the topic starters could indicate any limits they want in the responses to their posts.
    I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight

Comment

Maybe even 300 because that's one page in Word. But not 800 or more--if you've that much to say, blog about it and link us.
      Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Why?

This sounds silly--unless posts are taking too much space on the server, which I doubt.

My eyes, brain, and other spiritual organs don't like computer screens. I don't read the long posts. People who write long posts shouldn't be surprised when others don't read them.

People who want to be read will therefore write succinctly, but if something needs to be expounded upon in detail it can.

Comment

Originally posted by Octal View Post
          Why?
          Because there's concerns arising regarding people foregoing posting their questions/ideas/opinions due to Avalanche-responses.

Analog: some people cringe at the thought of enduring a three-hour dissertation in response to their simple question of "What's for dinner?" They "learn" not to ask questions.

When questions go un-asked, the ostensible purpose of this forum is nullified.

The "cringe-factor" and the stimulus producing it (Avalanche-responses) is being seen to curtail participation in the Forum.

That's why this thread was started and the idea of putting limits on the word-count of postings/quotations has been floated publicly.
          Last edited by Celadonite; 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Limit to posts? No, just...no.

Is there a need to? Hmm...I haven't read a post long enough to discourage me from reading. The only things I don't read are long game analyses.

Limit to quotations? Probably okay. Again, it doesn't distract me at all.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
            "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

Originally posted by Rimuel V2 View Post
              Limit to posts? No, just...no.

Is there a need to? Hmm...I haven't read a post long enough to discourage me from reading. The only things I don't read are long game analyses.

Limit to quotations? Probably okay. Again, it doesn't distract me at all.
              No right/wrong answers, but truly--an Avalanche of an 1,800 word response to a 50 word question/opinion/idea you might have posted doesn't cause you to think twice about posting another question? It is others.

Let me repose the question, then, since long-postings don't bother you: do you believe your forum experience would be diminished if individual posts were limited to a maximum of 300 words (A maximum of one page of "Word" per post, essentially, as Skwerly suggested)?

The ostensible purpose of communications is to engage in a useable transfer of information, not an overwhelming of the one making the query. (sort of an inverse denial of service attack )

Analog: One generally expects and hopes for ripples to appear when one throws a pebble into a pawn, not a Tsunami that washes one away.

The wordcount of this particular posting, incl. this sentence and quoting your post is: 195 words.
              Last edited by Celadonite; 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Do you believe your forum experience would be diminished if individual posts were limited to a maximum of 300 words?

In some cases, yes. Some questions require long answers to be answered sufficiently. In those cases where a short answer suffices, I do usually write in an economic manner.

300 still looks like a slightly low number, considering how there might occasionally be a need to long post, and also that if you implement this feature, it would take place in all parts of the forums. I suggest at least 500 if you decide on doing it.

I believe you are often guilty of long posts yourself, Celadonite? No offense intended. Also...this thing about long posts...it's indirectly talking about Cookie's posts isn't it?

EDIT:

Why don't you try implementing it for a short period. We'll be able to see how it affects users who post lengthily, and whether it would actually support your claim that it encourages user postings.

Originally posted by ketchuplover View Post
                Alternatively the topic starters could indicate any limits they want in the responses to their posts.
                I agree with this. This is also what I had in mind. However, we should make the absolute minimum 200 words. Any less and the advice may not be productive enough.
                Last edited by Rimuel V2; 10-18-2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

[I][COLOR="Blue"]I believe you are often guilty of long posts yourself, Celadonite? No offense intended. Also...this thing about long posts...it's indirectly talking about Cookie's posts isn't it?
                  I've been exceedingly guilty of it myself--very kind of you to bother to point that out!-- in the past much more so than any other member here has been, so it seems to me. However, I've been trying for several months to amend my behavior in that regard, and have nearly managed to do so. Fewer postings, more succinct verbiage when I post.

You've perhaps noticed that?

I'm pleased to state for the record that you, yourself, haven't been in any wise "guilty" of over-long responses--congratulations

What positive motivation prompts you to suggest that this is indirectly related to Cmonster? I can understand what negative motivation might prompt you to do so--to induce conflict in the forum. That's not going to happen.

This issue relates to overwhelmingly long posts, regardless of who's issuing them. The identities of the issuers is immaterial--the length of the posts and the quelling-effect to discussion which their size invokes are. This isn't a "witch-hunt" or a blame game. It's not going to be turned into one, either.

Nor is this any sort of decree in process of being issued--this is only to determine what the general sense of the members is--would a 200/300/500/whatever word limit per post increase or decrease the enjoyability of your forum experience? Or, does the majority prefer things to remain as they now are? No limits in word-count per post?

That's all.

If high word-count per post isn't an issue with the seeming majority of members, I for one will gladly return to posting convoluted walls-of-text on a regular basis. It limbers up my fingers for "more important" writing, off-line

But...does this forum exist to be my, or any other, word-monger's private playground, or does it exist to facillitate and expedite the requests and retrievals of succinct information pertinent to the people requesting it?

Word-count of this posting, incl. these final sentences and quotation from you above, approximately 338 words. Disregarding the annoyance of the content to you, does the word-count impose?
                  Last edited by Celadonite; 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

It’s probably my ADHD, but when I see a response that I have to literally scroll with the mouse wheel three, four, five, six times to get to the bottom, I’m not even going to start to read it.

Certain subjects may require a rather lengthy reply, and that’s okay with me, honestly. It’s the 2,000 word blocks of texts mixed with ten quotes that turn me off. Truly, if you have something to say and it takes two (well constructed) pages, that’s okay here and there, in my opinion. But like I said, if you regularly have pages and pages to say, blog about it and link us.
                    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Here's what I think:

I don't think there should be a global limit.

Why?

1. This is a forum. It's sole purpose is to 'discuss' and read replies.
                      2. The 'user' does not need to read another's post.
                      3. There really is reason sometimes to post 100% replies on here. And people against lengthy replies are just not reading the replies. Again their choice. Don't complain.
                      4. I find it rather off putting to tell people to 'take it to a blog.' Because not everyone, myself included, are bloggers. You really expect a forums user should open an entire blog dedicated to replying to posts? That doesn't sound like a very fun idea to me. Kind of a waste of internet space in a internet where we already waste too much space with rather mind numbingly dumb material. Blogs are good for some.. not everyone.. remember that.

On the other hand.. giving some control to the OP would be of use.

Why?

1. It gives them a sense of respect and moderation.

2. It does not hinder a replying user to have a restriction set by the original poster.

3. Allowing an option for the poster to set rules of this nature is more powerful and less restricting.

On the topic of bringing me into the picture? I am flattered.. but I don't really care either way what people think. And I don't believe it matters. I am fairly tough skinned.

Now I think if it's that easy to limit globally.. it should be just as easy to make it the OP's decision to allow it or not.

click to show
                      Last edited by CookieMonster; 10-18-2013, 06:52 PM.
                      I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

@Celadonite:

Yes, I realised you started posting less.

I do think that if the limit is 500 words, it will likely not impinge on my positive experience of this forums.

I was thinking of something when I mentioned him...nevermind, he's a strong-headed choleric, so it probably won't work.

I do take issue with the argument that people who post short posts, expect short answers. At least, this does not apply to myself. I know this isn't about me, but about others. However, the argument doesn't seem strong, even disregarding my own experience.

More importantly, are the posts relevant enough to warrant a long post? That is the question. If you read a long essay, and it basically says NOTHING, then it is a problem. If you read a long essay and it is very informational, who cares if it is long?

Also, your argument that if people would post shorter answers here, more readers would participate in a discussion, is not convincing either. There's not enough supporting claims, which is why I said that we should experiment with this so that we can determine whether this is the case.

Perhaps we should run a public poll to find out. That would be more efficient than experimentation; however, the self-report method does have some major drawbacks. The most relevant problem for us is projection. The participants may simply be responding to what the poll creator wants instead of giving the truthful answer.

I really, really like the idea of giving the OP the ability to restrict the length. It is way more practical. For someone like me, if I want to post lengthily in a restricted thread, I would open a new thread.

EDIT:

For the quotes, though, I think we can limit it to 50 words, and if it's longer, just hide the later parts of the quote, like so:

@Celadonite:

Yes, I realised you started posting less.

I do think that if the limit is 500 words, it will likely not impinge on my positive experience of this forums.

I was thinking of something when I mentioned him...nevermind, he's a strong-headed choleric, so it probably won't work.

I do take...
                         click to show
                        Of course, someone will have to do the programming to implement the text hiding function into the quote function. Good luck with that.

387 words
                        Last edited by Rimuel V2; 10-19-2013, 03:08 AM.

Comment

I really, really like the idea of giving the OP the ability to restrict the length. It is way more practical. For someone like me, if I want to post lengthily in a restricted thread, I would open a new thread.

EDIT:

For the quotes, though, I think we can limit it to 50 words, and if it's longer, just hide the later parts of the quote, like so:

Of course, someone will have to do the programming to implement the text hiding function into the quote function. Good luck with that.

387 words
                          I don't think using the spoiler function needs anymore programming. Seemed to work just fine for you in that last quote.
                          I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

Because I inserted the spoiler function into the quote. If you quote several people, that will be able troublesome to do manually.

Comment

Troublesome to highlight and click the spoiler button?

Comment

Working...
                              X