Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Idea: Let's build a database of chess parks

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea: Let's build a database of chess parks

I went to Washington DC a couple weeks ago to attend an internet security conference (relevant to my day job). It turned out there was a chess park in Dupont Circle right outside my hotel room. It occurred to me it might be neat to have a centralized repository of public chess parks.

There are some neat possibilities with this but first off, we need to compile as many locations as possible.

So please feel free to post follow-ups here, please put the city / country in the subject line and as close as you can get to the address in the body (intersections, etc).

-mark
    ChessForums proprietor and webmeister
    Read my blog at http://www.markable.com

Toronto, Canada

Intersection of Yonge & Shuter Streets, north side of Shuter, across Yonge St. from the Eaton Center.

Yonge St and Shuter St., Toronto, ON - Google Maps

Comment

I remember seeing something like this on the internet a couple of years ago. I'll have to hunt and find it again. It was basically just a listing of popular spots (parks or otherwise) to hang out and play chess for free. I remember emailing them to let them know of a bookstore near me where people used to hang out on Monday evenings and play. Unfortunately, that bookstore no longer exists.

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

I just saw something like this on chessninja today. There's a Chicago Chess Blog (Kimbark?) that seems to be collecting info for that area, too.

Comment

Windsor, Ontario

Google Maps

Stone tables and benches with chessboards on Maiden Lane just off of the main drag of Ouellette. I think some of the boards have the white square in the wrong corner.
          Last edited by Crash; 09-12-2007, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I searched on google and couldn't find the site I was thinking of that listed places to play all over the world.

I did find something VERY interesting that I think I'll start a separate thread about, though.

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

Washington, DC

Dunlop Circle, just across from New Hampshire NW. Stone tables on which the players place roll-up boards.

Chess Park in Dunlop Circle Washington DC - Google Maps

Comment

Feel free to add these locations in New York City.
                Narz's Chess Page

Comment

yes i have finally arrived to this site
                  my name is aziz
                  i am a moderator at the new fast rising chess site that will be well recognised all over. at the site we try our best to develop ways to which the user can feel at home and also assist them to grow in their chess.
                  you should pop by sometime. the url is "www.chesscube.com" you pc would require a flash player download which is free and once registering your pc would ask if you want to download it....

but enough bout that, i wana know what this forum is all about? can anyone tell me?

i hope its ok cos i can tell you about alotta good chess sites who alotta gm's use... some of them you pay for like icc and others you dont. like fics and chesscube
                  Last edited by Perseus; 12-07-2007, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post
                    We are an all-purpose chess community. You can post on any chess (and almost every non-chess) subject here, play correspondence, ask for and participate in analysis, recommendations, all sorts of questions, post and read news, the usual .

On that note though, (please don't take it as negative criticism, it's not so-intended).
                    Try to stay (somewhat) on-topic, your link to chesscube is a welcome one, but could you perhaps post it in a more appropriate thread? Also, we have a section devoted for introducting new members.

That said, a hail and hearty welcome
                    You can edit your post after you posted it with the edit button. So if you are posting again in a thread in which you have the last post (and little time has passed) you can just edit in your addition. Note that the forum will let you add a reason for editing your post.

If I might add to that with another comment. You've posted (about) the same post in three different threads, in all of which it's more or less off-topic. I would kindly ask you not to do that. Just start a new thread in an appropriate section on the subject in the future.
                    Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
                    Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
                    Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
                    Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                    Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
                    Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                    Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
                    --Red Dwarf

Comment

Hear Hear!

Brilliant Idea! And one that many a wandering chesser has dreamed of......

I support this idea whole heartedly!

Ok, let's see... There's the Santa Monica International Chess Club (North side of the boardwalk (On the promenade with a dozen solid Masters, at least), Chicago!, Ok, on the shore of lake Michigan?, in Chi-town there's a chess park, sacraficing pieces only excites the local Masters... Till they lose of course.... (I was raised by Masters... ) Washington Square park, NYC, (Searching for Bobby Fischer), Well there's three anyway...

Cheers!

Hey, come play me a game of chess at planetchess

upper left of home page is chess room link.

Planetchess.org is still in test mode... but the chess server is up.
                      Last edited by Perseus; 01-09-2008, 11:46 AM. Reason: Merged posts.
                      http://www.planetchess.org
                      http://www.tacbase.com
                      http://www.akobian.com

"Players who fail to study tactics systematically tend to suffer from tactical blind-spots that plague them throughout their playing career, and thus they fail to realize their full potential." GM John Nunn.
                      Chess is 99 percent tactics. - Teichmann
                      Chess is 99% tactics - Alexei Shirov
                      "I absolutely agree with the well-known maxim: 'Chess is 99% tactics." GM Susan Polgar

Comment

Edgewater Park

It just so happens that there is a nice park in Cleveland, Ohio called Edgewater Park, where alot of players come during the summer to play. In fact, an associate and I throw a tournament there every Labor Day and have since 1992. Since that time, several prominent players have shown up there, including most recently Alexander Shabalov.

Comment

Here's an odd one: The Florida Renaissance Festival at Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield Beach, Florida has open chess play. They've got three giant boards (roughly 1 foot squares, I'd guesstimate), and people just walk up and play. There used to be a strong player who played there for money, but I think the faire got rid of him because they considered it gambling. The faire runs for 5 weekends every February-March. Next weekend is the final one for this year.

As a ren performer who doesn't have an act right now and has never worked that particular faire, I've actually been thinking of asking if I can take over as the resident chess expert next year. I'm thinking that if I give people prizes for beating me instead of money, then they might see it as just another faire game, not gambling.

--Fromper

Comment

Brilliant idea, thanks. I have stumbled across a few around the world but need to work on correct adresses!

Comment

I met Shabalov in Philly, 93' World Open. I saw him standing there with two tennis racquets. Being a not so bad tennis player, and considering I had the wherewithall to bring my racquets, I walked up to him and said; "You play tennis?" (Silly question in hindsight) He replied yes, so that was enough for me to invite him to tennis the next morning, he agreed. My friend, (A NM was hiding in the corner much mortified)

Now, the entire evening before our morning rendezvous, I considered how I would present this to friends back home, "I beat GM Shabalov!" er, at tennis.

Lo and behold, He beat my shorts off....

End of story...
                              http://www.planetchess.org
                              http://www.tacbase.com
                              http://www.akobian.com

"Players who fail to study tactics systematically tend to suffer from tactical blind-spots that plague them throughout their playing career, and thus they fail to realize their full potential." GM John Nunn.
                              Chess is 99 percent tactics. - Teichmann
                              Chess is 99% tactics - Alexei Shirov
                              "I absolutely agree with the well-known maxim: 'Chess is 99% tactics." GM Susan Polgar

Comment

Working...
                              X