Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

What is the best chess software for a Mac

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best chess software for a Mac

I am getting a MacBook Pro. I like the idea of no spyware etc or not having to buy an anti virus program. I now am enjoying an iPad and want a computer that is a Mac. Are there some good chess games for the MacBook?

Skippy

Would like to have your input.

Skippy
    Last edited by Perseus; 01-09-2011, 07:29 AM.

I have been using Macs since day one.
    From SE, SE30 (A Mac that is now in a NYC Museum),
    and dozens of others. I own 2 Intel Macs including a MacBook.
    The Bad news: Apple 2 days closed the Third Party website link.
    There was a feature on your Mac called Mac OS X Software.
    No longer. Apple shut it down.
    The Good News: Let me know what kind of Games you are looking for.
    For Chess Starters:
    Go to:
    Sigma Chess - Macintosh Chess Software
    (The best Mac Chess product out there, and inexpensive).
    HIARCS is an add on.
    Shredder Computer Chess Download - Macintosh
    A killer program.
    For Your Dashboard:
    What Window Players might be dreaming of:
    ChessPuzzle 2
    6000 chess puzzles (probably based on a Fred Reinfeld 1001
    puzzles. (The previous program).

jose Home Page
    A good program. Free. May crash at times.

Feral Interactive : Chessmaster 9000
    The Chess Master version for Mac.
    In English, and French
    If getting download the patches.
    CM is a commercial product.

Download MacChess - Freeware Software - Tucows
    MacChess.
    An old program. Probably designed by Cornell Uni.

Download Vanessa Chess - Freeware Software - Tucows
    Vanessa Chess. Came out in 2003.

Vektor3 Chess 3.2.2 for Mac
    Vektor3 Chess for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    This one has a price tag of $19.

If buying a Shareware go with SigmaChess or Shredder.
    SigmaChess gives you:
    A chess playing program.
    A database program.
    You can download games in pgn, and create your own
    player
    Tournament
    Opening
    Endgame
    Tactic files.
    File limit with a shareware version 1 million. Free version 1,000 limit.

Shredder at the current time (after speaking with the programmer a few months ago, is limited to 1000 games per file).

Internet Chess 1.1 for Mac
    Internet Chess for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    For ICC use.

Chess Browser
    Chess Browser for Mac - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    A database program. A chess version of ITUNES. $10 to buy.
    From my knowledge Sigma does everything Chess Browser does.

There is a commercial product called Big Bang Chess.
    It is for very young children. Almost impossible to lose to.
    Freeverse: Mac: Games & Apps: Big Bang Board Games
    $25 to buy.

Note: I wrote a long article on Macintosh Chess. (Several of them).
    Use the search feature of Chessforums.

Recommended: Do get a Virus Software for Macintosh.
    There are several free.
    Yes, there are no Viruses for Macs (yet).
    I have run Norton's, Intego, and now Bitdefender.
    There are free products.
    Apple by the way, does have a built in System Virus checker.

Using Window Products:
    What you need:
    Parallels or Fusion.
    A Windows OS. XP or higher.
    Window Chess: Chess Base lite.
    And you can run any Windows Chess program.
    Including training DVDs, Chessmaster series CDs (Tal, Botvinnik). The Steinitz is the best.

Macintosh Chess Sites (No software)
    ATPM 7.02 - Review: Mac Chess Downloads
    Macintoshchess : Macintosh Chess

Chess on the Mac:
    An adjustable program. You can different variations of chess.
    Mac originally gave away Sargon Chess.
    The current chess program works, but is dated.
    I believe it goes back to 1992 or 98.
    Check Chessforums on Macintosh Chess for the correct info.
    Apple claims 2002. But that may be the licensing.
    But it does look like they upgraded the game with OS 10.6.5 or 6.
    Last edited by Malbase; 01-09-2011, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Macintosh Chess -
      Chess Sets
      Chess Sets for Fixation for Macintosh
      SigmaChess:
      Has third party boards, Pieces also. Designed by a programmer.
      Work of Art.
      See also:
      Macintosh Chess - File Extensions

Comment

Thank you so much for your very thorough response concerning chess software for macs.

I have an iPad, and like it so much I am getting a. MacBook.

On my iPad I have three great chess apps - shredder. Tchess pro, and Stockfish. I would like to be able to anayze my lost games but don't know how and I'm not sure one can do that with the iPad. I can't get the PGNs into the program.

Could you advise me?

Skippy

Comment

To analyze games use:
          SigmaChess and click on the Chess Board Screen
          Analysis
          The annotate feature is for adding notes.
          Games in PGN, annotated- The notes will appear in
          Sigma Chess or Shredder Chess.
          Note: Shredder Chess will analyze also. And allows for notes.
          Additional Chess Engines:
          You can add Chess engines very easily.
          Sigma will search for the engines installed.
          Note the Sigma engine is around 2800+.
          Get the full feature Sigma based on need.
          There is a dual Intel version Mac as well as lesser products.

Engines for Mac:
          Fruit
          Fruit - Purchase
          Homer 2.01
          Homer Chessengine
          There are a lot of others.
          Place the engine in the Sigma Chess file so it can be located.

IPAD AND IPHONE CHESS CHESS
          I have to hope that following are for IPAD.
          So far:
          ShredderChess
          Game Table cost $0.99 Includes chess.
          A large list:
          Check Mate HD Chess $4.99
          CheckMate HD Chess - iPhone app from Borazone Co., Ltd. | Appolicious ™ iPad and iPhone App Directory
          CHESSDBHD
          ChessDB HD - iPhone app from Charles River Applications | Appolicious ™ iPad and iPhone App Directory
          A Database program.
          Chess Knight $0.99
          Enjoy playing Chess every night of the week with Chess Knight! Play against the computer with 4 AI levels or 2 player/multiplayer modes against a friend. Play multiplayer head-to-head games using Bump! Just bump your devices together and play.
          IPAD SHREDDER CHESS $7.99
          Shredder Chess for iPad - iPhone app from Eiko Bleicher, Skizzix.com | Appolicious ™ iPad and iPhone App Directory
          iChessPack HD $7.99
          ChessPack HD includes great features you needed for playing your favorite game. On-line game with FICS and ICC, local game with AI and chess puzzles are really enjoyable.
          Chess Crusades $0.99
          Chess Crusades - iPhone app from Slam Productions | Appolicious ™ iPad and iPhone App Directory
          It says for IPAD.
          Chess Crusade is an exciting way to play one of the world’s most popular strategy games.
          Verify downloads that they are for IPAD.

Comment

Why are there not any versions of Fritz, or Rybka, made for Mac? These programs are invaluable, to iI improved by leaps and bounds in one day(today). I was not a very confident player before. I think I will get Rybka 4. When one compares playing against Fritz 11, and Rybka 4, perhaps it is like playing against 2 different personalities.

Comment

This question I can answer because I have been in contact with Chess Base. In fact Chess Base referred questions to me from people who wanted to know about Mac and Chess.
              I am not a programmer. The program I did originally was with wires, and punch cards. (Years and Years ago).
              The Chess Base people indicated they make only products for the Window Operating System. They have no plans to make Macintosh products.
              However around 1995 there was a program for Macintosh called ESSENTIA Mactinosh. ESSENTIA contained all the Chess Games in Master, and GM up to the early 1990's.
              It was a database program that ran similar to the former
              Chesslive.de website. (The new site is not the same creature).
              To make products for Macintosh requires programmers. People who know the Macintosh System.
              The Chessbase people know Windows only.
              ChessBase is aware that the new Intel Macs with Parallels, or Fusion programs and a Windows OS product (licensed) XP or higher will run Chess Base products on a Macintosh.
              The Office 2011 for Macintosh has a Windows feature to send probably Office documents to a Windows computer.
              I ran Window CDS on a Mac with Windows (Virtual) and they worked fine. Parallels 6 works just great. Easy to use.
              And very fast. Parallels 6 even saved my Chess Base database files.
              Macintosh has many chess programs.
              The oldest probably being Chess Master. I used CM 1000, the very first CM. There probably was not even a DOS Version.
              Sigma Chess, a Swedish product is for Mac. It is bundled with the latest version of HIARCS. Sigma by itself is rated at 2800.
              Allows database of Openings, players, Tournaments, Nalimov files, and much more. Each file is limited to 1 million.
              The programmer told me he is working on increasing the file size.
              Shredder- The Programmer told me that so far Shredder is limited to a 1000 PGN size. But Shredder Chess assumed rating is the same for Mac and Windows. A killer program.
              Note: Macintosh Chess Programs use PGN.
              Chess Base and Window products: CBV
              Some database people create files for both.
              Each OS Windows or Mac have there own Chess History.

Comment

I had an Apple 3c once. First time I ever used a mouse. Had it hooked to a little tv for a monitor. Before that I think I had a little horrible something or other called 1099 or something.

Skippy.

Comment

Then I went with Windows 95. And was happy .... Then . With windows xp I am hounded with spyware.

Comment

Before Macintosh there was Apple.
                    Franklin Computer used the Apple OS.
                    The first chess program was Sargon.
                    For a history of Sargon, see Wikipedia.
                    With the current Macintosh, use the latest Safari.
                    Safari will not, we should normally go into a website that has Spyware.
                    When you get the Mac, go to Systems:
                    Open Sharing. Turn everything off.
                    Sharing is not really "Sharing". But something else.
                    When you set up a router with any computer, lock the router.
                    I use 2 computers, desk top, and laptop and they are on a network. My printer is on the network (wireless).
                    Also open up Security.
                    Turn on SECURITY:
                    A. General - You can require a password after sleep or a screen saver.
                    File Vaut: Encrypts your HOME folder.
                    Write down on paper the password. If your password is forgotten, you can not recover it.
                    FIREWALL- Turn the Firewall on.
                    NOTE: There is a lock feature. To open the lock you enter your Administrator password. Lock the Lock (by clicking on it).
                    AIRPORT: On the Desk Top- Click on the Radar. If using AIRPORT, Turn it on, and identify your Router. Make sure it is locked. (Uses a different password). This feature prevents intrusion from users entering your system.
                    Always lock your router.
                    For other topics on printing, and other see the Off Topic in Chessforums. If you download, the downloads go to the DOWNLOAD file. If a file has an extension of .exe it can not be used. It is for Windows used.
                    Converting Chess files. You can not convert CBV on a Mac.
                    But some chess files are in .doc. After you download you can change the .doc to .pgn. For instance I downloaded Lasker's games annotated, and came from two book, BCM and a German book series. I changed the tag from .doc to .pgn so a chess software product could read it.

Comment

Shredder 12 for Linux-Based Systems - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
                      Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

There are limitations with Shredder for non-Window OS.
                        The limitations are not stipulated on the site.
                        But with Mac the limitation is a 1000 pgn file.
                        The next version of Shredder, I hope that the Shredder people
                        increase the file size.
                        What that means that if you are download lets say a Lasker pgn file of 1200+ game the 200+ plus games at the end of the file will not appear.
                        You wil have to divide the file into 2 files.
                        Nothing new.
                        Chess Master 1000 which was for Mac only had a limit of 89 move games. For example the 1961 Match Tal-Botvinnik, the 90th move of the games would crash. For CM 1000 you had to enter the moves one by one.

Linux: Microsoft people attended a Linux conference a few years back. They were very interested in Linux. There was even talk that they might dump Windows OS, and replace it with Linux. Did not happen.
                        "Linux users mostly install their systems on PCs running Windows".
                        Installing Linux on a Mac:
                        http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Linux_for_Macintosh
                        (Probably a dated article. Talks about Floppy Disks).

Operating Systems: Win/Unix on Mac, Mac on Others,
                        Is Ubuntu Linux a Sensible Alternative for Mac Users?

I have to believe that Linux in one version of a MAC OS
                        was available.

Welcome to MkLinux.org
                        The Linux people talk about the Power Macintosh.
                        Macintosh now has Intel or Dual Intel Chips.
                        Chess Programs, SigmaChess, Shredder, HIARCS have Dual Intel programs. (Hefty Sum).

Comment

Can I use shredder or sigma to analyze my lost games? Which would you prefer.

skippy.

Comment

I'm a huge Shredder fan, but to each his own. You can analyze with almost any engine out today; they are all pretty strong.

Arena is free and can analyze, as well as CB Light or Winboard.

I analyze all my stuff with Shredder 11 or 12, depending which computer I'm on.
                            Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Both have an analysis feature.
                              Sigma has freeware product, so you can try it out.
                              Make sure your games are in pgn.
                              Click under FILE, Open.
                              And the file will be opened.

Shredder has a similar feature. But a little harder to handle.
                              Test one or both products out, and see which one you prefer.
                              Always remember to click the save feature, if entering notes.
                              There is also an ECO download file which is free in Sigma Chess. So when you start a game the opening codes will show.

Comment

Working...
                              X