Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Learn how to make a chess app

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn how to make a chess app

What did I see when I logged into chessforums.org?

A banner ad.

But not just any banner ad - it was an ad for Delphi XE4.

Evidently chess players are big time coders. Who knew, right?

It turns out I just opened up a course to teach anyone how to create a complete chess app for Mac and Windows.

Shadow Me | Watch while Chess Openings Wizard is Coded

It's not mentioned on the Bookup site. (So far only a few Chess Openings Wizard users have seen it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v54wjxCj9RE is the YouTube video about it.
    Mike Leahy
    bookup.com - chess openings software

Your software doesn't seem to offer any significant improvements over free and open source alternatives.

There are also plenty of free resources online to teach programming.

I found this massive, free collection of resources from MIT in 5 minutes by searching Google.

Electrical Engineering and Computer Science | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials
    Last edited by PostHypermodern; 06-15-2013, 09:27 PM.
    The last prisoner I played got released during our game. He was in for armed robbery. After release he got a job in a gun factory.

-JacksonWShowalter

Comment

Those MIT courses don't offer anything to do with the chess side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by doulos View Post
        Those MIT courses don't offer anything to do with the chess side of things.
        Crawling before walking. How is anyone going to program a specific type of application without knowing the basics?

There are plenty of free resources specifically dealing with chess programs, too. I forget its name, but there's a computer chess forum with lots of helpful people on it who are highly skilled. And that's just what immediately comes to mind.

Never pay for anything that's already available free--and most likely of better quality.
        The last prisoner I played got released during our game. He was in for armed robbery. After release he got a job in a gun factory.

-JacksonWShowalter

Comment

I am a developer but would love to see a good video series that is specifically chess related. I'm not willing to pay for it mind you (at least not at this point), but there is certainly nothing wrong with targetting a specific niche with videos like this.

Have you watched these videos? How can you even make a quality statement like that unless you have?

I totally agree that free is a great thing though, and things like Coursera etc are fantastic resources.

Comment

Originally posted by doulos View Post
            I am a developer but would love to see a good video series that is specifically chess related. I'm not willing to pay for it mind you (at least not at this point), but there is certainly nothing wrong with targetting a specific niche with videos like this.

Have you watched these videos? How can you even make a quality statement like that unless you have?

I totally agree that free is a great thing though, and things like Coursera etc are fantastic resources.
            Sorry for taking so long to reply; IndyCar and Grand Am both had races this weekend and that took up a lot of my time. My favorite guys did poorly.

I haven't seen his videos; they may indeed be helpful to some people. The thing is, the internet is big. I've already seen so many free resources just relating to engines that it would be foolish for me to think that one couldn't get better and more information for free.

It's always best to get information from as many sources as possible. Even if the man offering the videos is knowledgeable and helpful, he's still just one man/firm. He may know a lot more than lots of other free sources but there's no way he knows as much as all of them combined.

-JacksonWShowalter

Comment

Originally posted by PostHypermodern View Post
              I haven't seen his videos; they may indeed be helpful to some people. The thing is, the internet is big. I've already seen so many free resources just relating to engines that it would be foolish for me to think that one couldn't get better and more information for free.

It's always best to get information from as many sources as possible. Even if the man offering the videos is knowledgeable and helpful, he's still just one man/firm. He may know a lot more than lots of other free sources but there's no way he knows as much as all of them combined.
              Certainly no professional (programmer, surgeon, accountant, writer, basketball coach) knows as much as all the free internet resources combined but in this case I think the course is a very good deal. It sold out.

For comparison, in the video about it at Shadow Me | Watch while Chess Openings Wizard is Coded I mentioned the $4,950 trainings from bignerdranch.com which are an excellent value in my opinion. One could argue that every bit of that knowledge is somewhere on the internet for free.
              Mike Leahy

Comment

I would say that I don't see why down the product if it fills a need to the consumer it's targeting, unless you tried it and you had a bad experience. But then maybe that should go on your own personal blog. I don't see a problem with the product personally from looking. But then it doesn't fill "my personal" need.

If the competitions like he claims out prices him by thousands of dollars.. I commend the undercutting. It's a smart tactic to slash the price to obtain new customers. (BTW Chess Position Trainer did the EXACT same thing to Bookup. So why can't Bookup attempt the same thing to other products? Free available resources or not!) Granted.. You can get the same things on the internet for free. However, think about it.. You can get several databases of chess online for free, yet chessbase, chess assistant and several other programs still sell their outrageously priced items and they have not really been chastised for that. You have enough free engines to almost be a 20-1 ratio to the commercial lines.. Yet, the commercial lines are still going strong if not having a new commercial come out every 3-5 years.

In this case? Yeah you can find free content similar.. But you have to work harder to compile the same information usually. And I am sure if you pay for the product there is also some level of professional support to go a long with it.

I commend the attempt and I hope the product thrives.

As this has come up in the thread however.. How is book up doing as a product? Has it been feeling the pressure of items like trainers from iPhone and Android, and that Chess Position Trainer? I am curious because I am sort of a reviewer, and people in my area come to me to know what products are best for them. Book up is still currently in my list of reviewed items that I recommend when people want to know how to train items.

Thanks Mike
                I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

Originally posted by CookieMonster View Post
                  As this has come up in the thread however.. How is book up doing as a product? Has it been feeling the pressure of items like trainers from iPhone and Android, and that Chess Position Trainer? I am curious because I am sort of a reviewer, and people in my area come to me to know what products are best for them. Book up is still currently in my list of reviewed items that I recommend when people want to know how to train items.

Thanks Mike
                  You're very welcome.

Chess Openings Wizard is still doing well. I haven't made a Mac version in years and that is about to change. The course Shadow Me | Watch while Chess Openings Wizard is Coded sold out in the first day and the only option available now is to audit the course.

Here's the secret sauce: I'm moving the COW data to SQLite so that anyone can do anything with it such as use it for an engine's opening book or create an Android version. The most important reason for the migration to SQLite is so that upcoming Mac and iPad versions can share their ebooks with no conversion.

The Andrew Martin video site is also doing well. I am totally guilty of not marketing that well enough for the value it provides. Four new repertoire videos are being added today. Chess Coaching Anywhere
                  Mike Leahy

Comment

The new chess database for Macintosh is out.
                    Mike Leahy

Comment

Working...
                    X