Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Free Chess Books.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Chess Books.

The following are online free Chess Books/Articles in the free Domain.
    http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/maelzel.html *(link approved)*
    Yes that Edgar Allen Poe. Why buy the book. The ebook version sells for
    $2.29. At the following site, the material is free. To copy use the C key
    after you go over the article, and paste in to a Word processor program.
    The article is on the Turk. I recall giving an Oral paper on the subject in College. I used Poe's article, and a Dover book on the subject.

Free Chess material in PDF and other:
    Free Chess e-Books *(link approved)*
    (A beautiful collection of old chess books from the 19th Century).
    The Ed Lasker book is all over the net for free. Problem, The diagrams
    are x's.
    Free Chess Download and other Downloads from Chess Central *(link approved)*
    (Several chess books for free in ebook form. (You need Chess Base light).
    Chessville - Misc. - Downloads *(link approved)*

The following is included. Probably should be included as a new thread.
    The Russian/Soviet Chess Archives. No articles.
    Games in PGN, by Matches, Soviet Matches, and much more
    in ebook format. A beautiful collection.
    Main Page - Gutenberg *(link approved)*
    Project Gutenberg has 20,000 books and is growing. Search for the chess books. They are all free.
    Search on Titles > Results - Project Gutenberg *(link approved)*
    The above includes Henry Bird's Chess History and Ed Lasker's books.
    ibiblio - Folk Art *(link approved)*
    The Public Library and digital archive. (Reference to chess sites).
    Gutenbergartners, Affiliates and Resources - Gutenberg *(link approved)*
    A reference from Gutenberg on their partner websites. 100,000 free titles.
    Category:Chess books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. *(link approved)*
    Soviet Chess
    *(link removed, google reports this as a malware website)*
    In contact with the Website people, the project is on going.
    Included and new USSR Championships. If you do not know the games down load. Botvinnik, Boleslavsky, Smyslov, Bronstein, and much more
    *(link removed, google reports this as a malware website)*
    Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:36 PM.

Chessville - Free Downloadable eBooks - electronic chess books *(link approved)*

looks worthy of inspection imo
    Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:36 PM.
    I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight

Comment

The following link has some complete chess books and magazines you can download for free. Most are really old but there’s some interesting stuff of historical interest..

chess - Google Book Search *(link approved)*
      Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM.
      The Hoppers

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonWShowalter View Post
        Most are really old...
        Exactly. As for legality, Google Books I'll trust. It and most of the other links give you dated chess books for which copyright has expired (at least in the US and a few relevant other countries). Which means this thread with ebook links gets to stay.

A word though, I don't want to see anything illegal in here

EDIT: Forum rules are revised and now include e-books specifically.
        Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:37 PM.
        Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
        Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
        Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
        Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
        Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
        Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
        Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
        --Red Dwarf

Comment

For more free chess books:
          Category:Chess books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia *(link approved)*
          I believe wikipeda or google got involved in a project to do all books into electronic format. But they received a complaint from a publisher, indicating that many books were still copyrighted and could not be copied.
          For new chess books in DJVU, PDF, or Word format see
          *(link removed, suspected copyrighted material)*
          Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the links guys.
            "Life is too short for chess." - Byron

Comment

Woa. I seem to have just realised that you can get books on PDF for free. I have some questions. What does PDF mean? And can someone please give me some useful search tips? I mean when I google my 60 memorable games I get something like amazon asking if I want to buy it (I know someone has already posted my 60 memorable games, I was just using that as an example). Thanks in advance for any help.
              "Let me only get there," he had said with the fatuousness of Crusoe over his big boat, "and the rest is but a matter of time and energy."
              --Thomas Hardy

Comment

There are three or more formats used by publishers of EBooks.
                1. Microsoft Word.
                2. DJVU;
                3. PDF

Defined:
                Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format created by Adobe Systems in 1993 for document exchange. PDF is used for representing two-dimensional documents in a manner independent of the application software, hardware, and operating system.[1]
                Each PDF file encapsulates a complete description of a fixed-layout 2-D document (and, with Acrobat 3-D, embedded 3-D documents) that includes the text, fonts, images, and 2-D vector graphics which the documents comprise.

DJVU See:
                What is DjVu - DjVu.org

DJVU is a free download for Window, Macintosh & Linux computers.
                Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining warez.

I'm sorry to say that I firmly believe free online versions of Fischer's "My 60 memorabele games" to be in this category. Which is why I have deleted the links. Neither does aforementioned russian website appear very legit, distributing free ebook copies of books as recent as 1991...

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                  Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                  --Red Dwarf

Comment

Another book is available:
                    *(link removed, suspected copyrighted material)*

I must have over 50 books in PDF, DJVU, or Microsoft Word
                    on Chess.
                    Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malbase View Post
                      Another book is available:
                      (Chess book) - Train Like a Grandmaster - Alexander Kotov.PDF *(link removed, suspected copyrighted material)*

I must have over 50 books in PDF, DJVU, or Microsoft Word
                      on Chess.
                      This one I will allow, provisionally...

EDIT: The provision is nullified as per the revised rules.
                      Last edited by Perseus; 09-24-2008, 11:43 PM.

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Ok thats all fine. I understand about trying to follow the rules. Just two more Questions. Is the afore mentioned book Logical Chess by Chernev available legally? I'm guessing yes since you haven't deleated it. And, since I was just using Fischer's book as an example, can you give me some guidelines to get legal electronic copies of chess books that are also free? I mostly want to just see what books are like. Everyone here always talks about chernev so I would like to look without having to buy every book in the world. They be so expensive. I be tired of buying chess books.
                        "Let me only get there," he had said with the fatuousness of Crusoe over his big boat, "and the rest is but a matter of time and energy."
                        --Thomas Hardy

Comment

Originally posted by lanced View Post
                          Ok thats all fine. I understand about trying to follow the rules. Just two more Questions. Is the afore mentioned book Logical Chess by Chernev available legally? I'm guessing yes since you haven't deleated it. And, since I was just using Fischer's book as an example, can you give me some guidelines to get legal electronic copies of chess books that are also free? I mostly want to just see what books are like. Everyone here always talks about chernev so I would like to look without having to buy every book in the world. They be so expensive. I be tired of buying chess books.
                          By my knowledge it isn't... And it's very tough legal territory to establish what is and what isn't legal here.

Here's the legislation I think is relevant:
                          • Anything copyrighted prior to 1923 is in the public domain. (Practically speaking, this includes anything published prior to 1923, since publication without copyright put the work straight into the public domain. But note this possible exception in some western states for some 1909-1922 foreign works that were not published in the US before 1923.) Due to a 20-year copyright extension enacted in the US in 1998, copyrights from 1923 or later that are still in force will stay in effect through 2018 or longer.
                          • Certain works copyrighted in 1923 or later may already have entered the public domain. In particular, works published in the US before 1989 without proper copyright notice, and works published in the US before 1964 whose copyrights were not renewed, may have entered the public domain. However, works from 1923 or later that were originally published in countries outside the US may still be copyrighted regardless of whether they were printed with proper notice or renewed. To research whether a book's copyright has been renewed, or needed to be renewed, see this article.
                          • Works never published prior to 2003 (and never registered for copyright prior to 1978) are now in the public domain in the US if they are by authors who died more than 70 years before the most recent New Year's day. (For 2008, this means authors who died before 1938.) Although this new rule does not put any previously published material into the public domain, it may allow some long-lost manuscripts and collections of letters to be published online as "new" online books
                          Trying to make sense of that and applying it to this thread is a nightmare as you can imagine. Which divides online ebooks in 3 categories:
                          - Books for which copyright has expired.
                          - Books that are published with the permission of the author.
                          - Books that violate copyright.

I'll take a look and then pass judgement on this thread.

--Red Dwarf

Comment

um. ok. thanks.
                            --Thomas Hardy

Comment

I think this is the best way to go about this.

- I consider books published before 1920 free of copyright.
                              I do not consider e-books made from these books warez.
                              - I consider books published after 1920 with permission from the author free of copyright.
                              I do not consider e-books made from these books warez, provided it can, within reason, be established that permission has been given.
                              - I consider all other books copyrighted.
                              As such, e-books made thereof are classified as warez.

I'll edit this thread now...

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Working...
                              X