Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

"Deep"Chess Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Deep"Chess Thoughts

A rook placed on any square on an otherwise empty board can always reach fourteen squares!

Feel free to add your own "deep" or deep chess thoughts. Enjoy
    I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight

A bishop in the corner controls 7.
    A bishop in the center controls 13.

And a Queen's mobility = that of a Rook + a Bishop. (worth more, because of flexibility)
    "Without sensibility, no object would be given to us. Without understanding, no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty. Intuitions without concepts are blind." Immanuel Kant - "Critique of Pure Reason."

Comment

Karl Marx enjoyed played chess. One reason it took him longer than expected to finish Das Kaptial is because he was studying opening theory. Frankly, I don't see how a Communist can play chess. Since everyone would be equal, he would constantly be trading rooks for pawns, queens for bishops, etc. And to make it even more difficult, the goal of the game would no longer to checkmate your opponent's king, but to checkmate your own king.

That seems related to deep chess thoughts, does it not?

Comment

Nice, I did not know these things! My contribution is more of a short story, but since it is true I thought I would share, because it's pretty deep!

Alexander Alekhine was travelling to a tournament on a train one night, when a young man saw his chessboard and offered a game. Alexander said sure, and after putting the pieces in start position, he took a rook off the board on his side. The young man was offended, and informed Alexander that he was pretty good, and he can't take that rook off.

"Why?" Alexander asked.
        "You don't even know me!" exclaimed the kid.
        "It is because I don't know you that I can take the rook off," Alexander replied.

Great story! Happy New Year everyone!
        Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
          Nice, I did not know these things! My contribution is more of a short story, but since it is true I thought I would share, because it's pretty deep!

Alexander Alekhine was travelling to a tournament on a train one night, when a young man saw his chessboard and offered a game. Alexander said sure, and after putting the pieces in start position, he took a rook off the board on his side. The young man was offended, and informed Alexander that he was pretty good, and he can't take that rook off.

"Why?" Alexander asked.
          "You don't even know me!" exclaimed the kid.
          "It is because I don't know you that I can take the rook off," Alexander replied.

Great story! Happy New Year everyone!
          I am amused. Did that story really occured to Alekhine? Cause I read somewhere that capablanca(alekhine's rival) has a similar story. The difference is instead of taking his rook off capa take his queen. Also if I can remember correctly, capa is in a restaurant reading a newspaper when a kid(could be a man, I can no longer remember) approached him for the game. The dialogue goes like this though not exact words.

Kid: Lets play
          Capa gladly set up the chess board and take his queen off and pocketed in his pocket. After doing that the kid got irritated.
          Kid: Why did you do that. I can beat you.
          Capa: Sir if you could beat me, I would have known you.
          " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

When a pawn captures it imitates a bishop! When a moves two squares it imitates a rook or queen! When a pawn moves one square forward it imitates a queen,rook,king and knight!(a knight moves to an opposite colored square as does the pawn!). When a pawn captures en passant or promotes it's just showing off!

Comment

Ok, here's one. One night many years ago as I began to setup the pieces for an evening of study, I was overcome by this Spirit. A crotchety disciplinarian...

Take all of the Pieces OFF of the board! You must understand the Battlefield as well as you understand how the pieces move in harmony.

After taking the pieces off, I sat there focused on those sixty four squares for several hours.

Then All of a sudden, I noticed that if I gave a value of "1" to "A", "2" to "B" and so forth, that A1, or 1 and 1 equaled 2. (An even number) And this was a "Black" square. Hmmm. g7, "G" is "7". 7 plus 7 is fourteen. This must also be a "Black" square. (g6= 13 (Odd number), this must be a "White" square.)

Since I was playing blindfold Chess with Masters at that point, this little system was Quite handy.

When I shared what I had discovered with a room full of Masters, none of them had ever heard of this system. "They had a ball quizzing each other without looking at the board..... "
              http://www.planetchess.org
              http://www.tacbase.com
              http://www.akobian.com

"Players who fail to study tactics systematically tend to suffer from tactical blind-spots that plague them throughout their playing career, and thus they fail to realize their full potential." GM John Nunn.
              Chess is 99 percent tactics. - Teichmann
              Chess is 99% tactics - Alexei Shirov
              "I absolutely agree with the well-known maxim: 'Chess is 99% tactics." GM Susan Polgar

Comment

"In mathematics you’re as good as your best move. In chess you’re as bad as your worst." - Paul Samuelson

Comment

Interesting thought about the evens and odds. Knowing the squares that well definitely helps with visualization when not looking at the board. I don't play blindfold, but I do sometimes look away from the board to clear my head while visualizing variations during games. Eventually, I'd like to try blindfold chess, but I'm not quite there yet.

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Fromper View Post
                    Interesting thought about the evens and odds. Knowing the squares that well definitely helps with visualization when not looking at the board. I don't play blindfold, but I do sometimes look away from the board to clear my head while visualizing variations during games. Eventually, I'd like to try blindfold chess, but I'm not quite there yet.

--Fromper
                    Glad to be of help...

"Players who fail to study tactics systematically tend to suffer from tactical blind-spots that plague them throughout their playing career, and thus they fail to realize their full potential." GM John Nunn.
                    "I absolutely agree with the well-known maxim: 'Chess is 99% tactics." GM Susan Polgar

Comment

A queen or rook can cover the whole board in 15 moves. A knight or king take 63 moves. Bishops and pawns are unable to reach every square.

You can play a game with a dark right corner square. Just have black move first! Obviously I'm ignoring notation here.

Comment

How many chess analysts does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - Unknown, they still have computers figuring out whether they can safely take out the original lightbulb to begin with.

How many Melody Amber participants does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - None, they play blindfolded.

How many chess engine techs does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - None, it's a hardware related issue.

How many chess computers does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - Four. One to remove the lightbulb by capturing it en passant, one to put the new one in by taking back the move whereby the old one was unscrewed, one to go snatching some pawns while all this action takes place on the other side of the board, and one to flash its lights, make lots of noise, and announce out of the blue that it has found a forced mate in seven.

How many grandmasters does it take to change a lightbulb ?
                        - 21. One to have the idea, and a whole load more to do all the analysis.
                        Or:
                        - They care not, the lightbulb wasn't worth any pawns.

How many patzers does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - Patzers are always in the dark.
                        Or:
                        - None, they prefer lightbulbs of dubious quality.

How many forum members does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - Eight.. one to change the light bulb. Another to post that the light bulb has been changed. Three to share their experiences on changing lightbulbs and recommend the changing of lightbulbs. Two to recommend a whole different method of changing lightbulbs. And one to point out why the lightbulb burned out and explain how this could have been prevented.

How many FIDE employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
                        - Two. One to replace the lightbulb and one to constantly change their method of choosing lightbulbs.
                        Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
                        Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
                        Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
                        Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                        Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
                        Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                        Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
                        --Red Dwarf

Comment

ROFL! Brilliant!

Comment

LOL! Great jokes, I had never heard any of them! The forum users one is CLASSIC! SO true!

Thanks for the laughs!
                            Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

A piece/pawn doesn't defend or attack the square it occupies.

Comment

Working...
                              X