Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Suggestions for (all) correspondence games here on the forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for (all) correspondence games here on the forum

Hi everyone. I have some suggestions for all your correspondence threads.

- Say you start a thread with an open challenge to play a correspondence game. Example threads would be called Up for a game anyone? or Pic vs anyone. To anyone but the players, it is unclear who is playing who in both cases. I think it's a good idea to rename your thread in such a case to include both player names.
    The thread starter can rename the thread by editing the first post of the thread. Also, I'm able to do so.
    Note that I have renamed the aforementioned threads to include the player names in (White - Black) format.
    - Another suggestion I'd like to offer. I've noticed that in the game threads, only one move is posted (possibly with comments). For me (again as outsider) it is hard to follow the game. I would imagine that it would get a little foggy to the players as well if you don't have the exact board position/movelist at hand or in mind.
    I would suggest players keep (and update as they go) a complete movelist.
    So for example:

Originally posted by sample
    1st post (white):
    1. e4

2nd post (black):
    1. e4 e5

3rd post (white):
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3

4th post (black)
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6

5th post (white)
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5
    I would be happy to post movelists of the games already in progress if anyone doesn't feel up to backtracking through the game (though for some games the first move(s) seem to be missing). It would definitely help to outsiders to follow your games.
    (Note: If any of the players in the threads mentioned want their threads renamed back to the original, inform me and I will do that immediately)

There you have it folks. Let me hear what you think.
    Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
    Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
    Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
    Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
    Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
    Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
    Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
    --Red Dwarf

- Say you start a thread with an open challenge to play a correspondence game. Example threads would be called Up for a game anyone? or Pic vs anyone. To anyone but the players, it is unclear who is playing who in both cases. I think it's a good idea to rename your thread in such a case to include both player names.
    The thread starter can rename the thread by editing the first post of the thread. Also, I'm able to do so.
    Note that I have renamed the aforementioned threads to include the player names in (White - Black) format. In this case: Up for a game anyone? (NitrousPeak - BrillatSavarin) and Pic vs anyone (Pic - Centaur).
    - Another suggestion I'd like to offer. I've noticed that in the game threads, only one move is posted (possibly with comments). For me (again as outsider) it is hard to follow the game. I would imagine that it would get a little foggy to the players as well if you don't have the exact board position/movelist at hand or in mind.
    I would suggest players keep (and update as they go) a complete movelist.
    So for example:

Originally posted by sample
    1st post (white):
    1. e4

2nd post (black):
    1. e4 e5

3rd post (white):
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3

4th post (black)
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6

5th post (white)
    1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5
    I would be happy to post movelists of the games already in progress if anyone doesn't feel up to backtracking through the game (though for some games the first move(s) seem to be missing). It would definitely help to outsiders to follow your games.
    (Note: If any of the players in the threads mentioned want their threads renamed back to the original, inform me and I will do that immediately)

There you have it folks. Let me hear what you think.
    Last edited by Perseus; 10-13-2007, 06:45 PM.

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
    Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
    --Red Dwarf

Comment

Sounds good to me ...

Sounds good Perseus. I have noted on a couple of occasions that on some threads I can't see the first post (even if its mine!). I'm 99 percent sure this is a problem with the site, how the site interacts with my browser or something similar, as I don't have this problem anywhere else I end up at on the Internet.

So until I have some understanding of why this is happening, I won't be able to edit or rename some threads I started (I think). Thanks for your suggestions and your attention to our games!

BrillatSavarin
      "Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated."- George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I ran into that little glitch myself posting this thread actually. I run both Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7 as a backup, when I started the thread I had Firefox on, now I can't see the top post here. I too haven't encountered such a problem anywhere else.
        I just hit backspace, copied my post's content and pasted it in the quick reply box.

Your game with NitrousPeak lacked a 1st post too. I edited Nitrous' post and that worked .

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Another thing I'd add, pust your game challenges in this thread:

http://www.chessforums.org/correspon...ence-game.html

Wait for a confirmation of a challenge accepted and create the thread stating both players.

--Red Dwarf

Comment

This is just a suggestion, but like in my Chess Variants - topic, if you want to play variation, you should say that in topic name and in the first post, like: Anyone wants to play Weak! ? or Chess960: me vs anyone.
            "-I don't hate insanity. I enjoy every minute of it"

Comment

A suggestion:

Please offer challenges to a specific person by PM and not by nudging into an already-in-progress game.

Just throwing this idea out there, as I've seen it happen in a few threads before.
              Brick walls hurt, but are effective for banging against repeatedly. For future reference, cardboard walls are fun too.

Being a professional player is something akin to being a prostitute. First I played because other people did it. Then I played because I liked to play. And finally I played just for the money. - Benko

Procrastination: due date = do date

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post
                Another thing I'd add, pust your game challenges in this thread:

http://www.chessforums.org/correspon...ence-game.html

Wait for a confirmation of a challenge accepted and create the thread stating both players.
                This link doesn't seem to work any more - am I just blind to be missing the challenge thread?

EDIT: Basically, I want to make a couple of challenges and start a couple of correspondence games - where should I post this?
                Last edited by rjmrjm; 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM.
                Post some analysis of any of my games in my Chess Progress Thread and I will do my best to find a game of yours and give some analysis back

Comment

It would be good that, on the end of a game, one of the players posts the game (pgn)
                  With white: Ruy Lopez, Queens gambit
                  With Black: Nimzo Indian, Queens indian, Sicilian, Slav

Comment

That's a good idea - or if the game is then posted in the Game Analysis forum then that could be linked to so the discussion can continue.

ps: Following my earlier questions - should I just make a challenge in this thread or is that not what this thread is for?
                    Post some analysis of any of my games in my Chess Progress Thread and I will do my best to find a game of yours and give some analysis back

Comment

Preferably not in this thread. We had a thread here somewhere, must've been deleted. Here's a new one:

http://www.chessforums.org/correspon...sts-seeks.html

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post

I tried to rename the thread with my new game against CookieMonster, but I only managed to rename the title of the first post, while the name of the thread itself is unchanged. Are you sure that the thread starter can rename the thread? If so, how? If not, please will a moderator do it?
                        Last edited by B. Jensen; 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM. Reason: Typo
                        Calculate chess title norm performances at http://skaktal.dk/en/norm.php: Tell about a player's games in a norm giving tournament, and get requirements for rating of opponents and score for the remaining games to get e.g. a GM norm.

Comment

Originally posted by B. Jensen View Post
                          I tried to rename the thread with my new game against CookieMonster, but I only managed to rename the title of the first post, while the name of the thread itself is unchanged. Are you sure that the thread starter can rename the thread? If so, how? If not, please will a moderator do it?
                          I've tested it, it should work.. maybe it's something in the auto-sticky-post in that section.. :unsure:

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Working...
                          X