Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

The Borg Defense

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Borg Defense

Greetings,

I posted a thread a while back concerning my building an unorthodox repertoire. In that thread I stated that I was utilizing The Grob for white, a novelty line in The Scandinavian for black (1.e4) and The Englund Gambit against (1.d4). Well, I've since switched gears with my repertoire for black against 1.e4 and started experimenting with The Borg Defense i.e. mainline 1.e4 g5 2.d4 Bg7 3.Bxg5 c5...much to my surprise "The Borg" which is a reverse "Grob" (thus the reversal of the name; no, it has nothing to do with Star Trek!), turns out to be quite viable, although once considered dubious. It doesn't hold quite the same surprise sting value as The Grob, but it rather proves to be an aggressive nuisanse, and much like The Grob, often eating up alot of time on the opponents clock. I've been winning a fair share of games with it. Here is an example of one such game: 1. e4 g5 2. d4 Bg7 3. Bxg5 c5 4. c3 cxd4 5. cxd4 Qb6 6. Be3 Nc6 7. Nf3 Qxb2 8. Nbd2 Nxd4 9. Nxd4 Bxd4 10. Rb1 Qc3 11. Rc1 Qb2 12. Rc2 Qb6 13. Nc4 Qb4+ 14. Bd2 Qc5 15. Ne3 Qe5 16. Bd3 Nf6 17. O-O b5 18. Nf5 Bb7 19. Nxd4 Qxd4 20. Bc3 Qb6 21. Bxf6 Qxf6 22. Bxb5 Bxe4 23. Qxd7+ Kf8 24. Re2 Bxg2 25. Rc1 Rg8 26. Rc8+ Rxc8 27. Qxc8+ Kg7 28. Qc5 Bh3 29. Qe5 Kh6+ 30. Kh1 Qf3# I consider this to be one of the more critical tests of the soundness of The Borg. If you discover something better, by all means post it.

I'm not sure I'd try the Grob against a stronger player (something like 2,000 and up will hurt that opening pretty badly) but it sure can be fun!
    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

One of my losses in the NAO was to a 2010ish player who played a delayed grob. I won the opening but ended up losing because I blundered a stupid piece. Like out of no where. It was like Caissa her self decided I was just going to do terrible in my games and curse me.:-( Anyway, the opening was unsound and I got the advantage but the point is, the game is not won till it's won. And almost any opening is viable in play where the competition is below 2300.

Cheers,

Jesse
      I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

I totally agree with that, cmonster! In fact, at the sub-2200 level, it might actually be a good thing to get the stronger player out of book fast -- AS long as you know what you are doing. Getting out of book and 'blundering' are two wholly different things.

Comment

Henri Grob the creator of the Grob would beg to differ, as he became a grand master playing it. Alot of masters considered it dubious and still do, but it turns out that in the right hands it has proven to be quite tricky and dangerous.

Comment

While that is definitely true, Grob also was a GM from way back. Alekhine played a mean 1. d4 but still, he'd have to brush up for today's theory, which probably discounts many of his pet lines.

Sure, a GM can and maybe will play the Grob, but statistically, it isn't first, second, third, or fourth choice.

Comment

Originally posted by CookieMonster View Post
              One of my losses in the NAO was to a 2010ish player who played a delayed grob. I won the opening but ended up losing because I blundered a stupid piece. Like out of no where. It was like Caissa her self decided I was just going to do terrible in my games and curse me.:-( Anyway, the opening was unsound and I got the advantage but the point is, the game is not won till it's won. And almost any opening is viable in play where the competition is below 2300.

Cheers,

Jesse
              GM blunders too(thought not as often as compare to other players)

But at below 2300, a player has more chance to blunder more if he plays unsound opening leading him to a bad position(bad positions are harder to play). Ang GM suggest to that don't play not sound opening to their students.

It's like two beginner boxers fighting, one is hand up one is hands down(unsound stance in boxing), who do you think has more chance chance to win between these two beginner boxer? Of course the one with hands up..
              Last edited by ryan_c; 08-17-2012, 12:31 AM.
              " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

I remember why I lost that game. I got my positional advantage, and then I went into a tunnel vision when I was looking at possibilities. Then I convinced myself the move was good. I have done it before, but it's been a long time. I get a chance to redeem myself for that last tournament this weekend.
                I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

From a review:

Israeli International Master Yochanan Afek and French FIDE Master Emmanuel Neiman have analyzed hundreds of high-level international games to discover what kinds of moves are difficult even for the masters to see. The result is this extremely useful collection of positions, game fragments, and puzzles that illustrate the most common causes of chess blindness
                  I think Invisible Chess Moves: Discover Your Blind Spots and Stop Overlooking Simple Wins book might be helpfull to you(of course to many players as well).

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Invisible Chess Moves: Discover Your Blind Spots and Stop Overlooking Simple Wins
                  " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

I remember why I lost that game. I got my positional advantage, and then I went into a tunnel vision when I was looking at possibilities. Then I convinced myself the move was good. I have done it before, but it's been a long time. I get a chance to redeem myself for that last tournament this weekend.
                    Tunnel vision is one of my biggest weaknesses, and I'm reading How to Think in Chess to try helping with that, as it's largely a how to think book. As for the topic of the Borg I personally wouldn't try it, but if it's sounder than its reputation then it'd be a great surprise weapon at the club level, and I think all 1.e4 players should have a basic knowledge of its traps and variations so black doesn't get an easy equality, though black should and likely would know the theory much better than white who is better served by studying Sicilian, 1...e5, and Caro-Kahn replies as they're more frequent.

Comment

I have never needed to study tge borg being an e4 player. Ever.. And I don't see a need to study any traps in general either. If you fell into a trap its more likely you broke a principle.

Comment

I've always used the Picard Maneuver.
                        The last prisoner I played got released during our game. He was in for armed robbery. After release he got a job in a gun factory.

-JacksonWShowalter

Comment

I prefer the Corbomite Gambit myself
                          Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
                          Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
                          Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
                          Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                          Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
                          Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                          Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
                          --Red Dwarf

Comment

LOL, you guys are too much.

Comment

I have never needed to study tge borg being an e4 player. Ever.. And I don't see a need to study any traps in general either. If you fell into a trap its more likely you broke a principle.
                              I love it when I fall into a trap. I usually win easily the next five times I face the same position.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Working...
                              X