Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Favorite opening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite opening

What is your favorite opening and why?
    What does it profit a man if he gains his opponent's chess pieces and loses the game--Chess bible

The Ruy lopez, of course, because I always get a nice postion out of it (as white).

Comment

I love a lot of variety in my openings so I don’t have a favorite, favorite. Possibly the closest I have to an absolute favorite is the KID and KIA.

I like two kinds of openings:
      1) sharp tactical
      2) each side is attacking on opposite wings.

Here are my favorites, basically my opening reperatoire (and no I don't know these openings inside and out, I have a general knowledge of them but I'm working on it):

As white

Italian Game - Evans Gambit and Max Lange Attack
      Sicilian – Rauzer Attack, Yugoslav Attack, Keres Attack, English Attack (depends on black's choice of defense)
      French - Winawer
      Caro-Kann - Panov-Botvinnik Attack (don't like the other "main" lines for white)
      Pirc - Austrian
      Latvian - Keres
      King’s Gambit – Double Muzio
      Queen’s Gambit Declined – Exchange variation (like the black side too)
      King’s Indian Defense - Samisch (flexible plans for white)
      King’s Indian Attack

As black

Ruy Lopez - Closed, Marshall, Open and Archangel (don't mind the white side either)
      Russian / Petroff’s defense (used to play this all the time, rarely any more)
      King’s Indian - Classical Mar del Plata
      Queen’s Gambit Declined – Tarrasch
      Nimzo-Indian – Hubner (blockade then attack the center pawns)
      Grunfeld – Exchange variation (lots of "air" for the black pieces)
      Benoni - Benko Gambit (very annoying for white)
      Bird’s Opening - From Gambit (why I don't ever want to play the Birds Opening as white)

Comment

Originally posted by thedarkknight View Post
        I love a lot of variety in my openings so I don’t have a favorite, favorite. Possibly the closest I have to an absolute favorite is the KID and KIA.

I like two kinds of openings:
        1) sharp tactical
        2) each side is attacking on opposite wings.

Here are my favorites, basically my opening reperatoire (and no I don't know these openings inside and out, I have a general knowledge of them but I'm working on it):

As white

Italian Game - Evans Gambit and Max Lange Attack
        Sicilian – Rauzer Attack, Yugoslav Attack, Keres Attack, English Attack (depends on black's choice of defense)
        French - Winawer
        Caro-Kann - Panov-Botvinnik Attack (don't like the other "main" lines for white)
        Pirc - Austrian
        Latvian - Keres
        King’s Gambit – Double Muzio
        Queen’s Gambit Declined – Exchange variation (like the black side too)
        King’s Indian Defense - Samisch (flexible plans for white)
        King’s Indian Attack

As black

Ruy Lopez - Closed, Marshall, Open and Archangel (don't mind the white side either)
        Russian / Petroff’s defense (used to play this all the time, rarely any more)
        King’s Indian - Classical Mar del Plata
        Queen’s Gambit Declined – Tarrasch
        Nimzo-Indian – Hubner (blockade then attack the center pawns)
        Grunfeld – Exchange variation (lots of "air" for the black pieces)
        Benoni - Benko Gambit (very annoying for white)
        Bird’s Opening - From Gambit (why I don't ever want to play the Birds Opening as white)
        This is more like answer to "name all the openings you know" question.

Comment

I don't have a 'favourite' opening. I have fun in most of my old reportoire. And if I don't feel like it, I'll just go somewhere else. I guess I should list which openings I'm usually in the mood for and utterly comfortable with:

White
          -Alekhine-Chatard French
          -Winawer French, Bogoljubow's 5. Bd2 line (now there's irony, I used to hate the French with a passion)
          -Qxd4 Sicilian (2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Qxd4)

Black
          -Two Knights Defense, Fritz Variation (4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Nd4)
          -Ruy Lopez, Steinitz Defense Deferred
          -Dutch Defense, any line!

I'm also known to take perverse pleasure playing against my (old) reportoire choices such as the Alekhine and King's Gambit which I generally know better than my opponent. 'Scientia potentia est' as the saying goes
          Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
          Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
          Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
          Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
          Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
          Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
          Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
          --Red Dwarf

Comment

I play 1. Nf3 almost exclusively, because I like hypermodern style chess. I enjoy daring the other player to over extend.

For black, I play 1... Nf6 exclusively, against any single opening available. It literally works excellent for anything, although there are definitely lines to learn. For instance, to play the Alekhine (1. e4 Nf6) you can’t just start playing Nf6 and hope for the best. I would suggest learning the variations pretty well, because it’s tricky and if you mess up it’s very easy for White to win the game.
            Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

(Open) Sicilian Defense, in a heartbeat, I find it fun for both sides.

Comment

I will have to research the strategies posted above, they are completely alien to me!

What I always do is Kings Pawn 2 spaces and then hope for the best! There are most probably better ways of going about an opening than this!

Comment

Originally posted by edwardwhelanpiano View Post
                  I will have to research the strategies posted above, they are completely alien to me!

What I always do is Kings Pawn 2 spaces and then hope for the best! There are most probably better ways of going about an opening than this!
                  Pushing the king's pawn two squares is an excellent first move. Following it up is the tough part.

If that's your level as a chess player, then I highly recommend the book "Logical Chess: Move by Move" by Irving Chernev.

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

Isn't the Sicilian black's best response?
                    What does it profit a man if he gains his opponent's chess pieces and loses the game--Chess bible

Comment

Originally posted by Ifiwereu View Post
                      At the grandmaster level, the Sicilian is usually seen as black's strongest attempt to play for a win against 1. e4. But at that level, many players would rather try for a draw as black, so they'll intentionally play a more drawish opening like the Petroff. Or they'll try to catch their opponent off guard with something that offers both winning and drawing chances for black, but that they don't think their opponent is completely prepared for.

At the amateur level, there are many, many coaches and chess teachers who insist that playing both sides of 1. e4 e5 is the best way for low-intermediate level players to improve.

So it depends on your definition of "best", as well as your situation and goals.

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

“Best” is relative, really. For the same reason that “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, the “best” chess opening will vary from individual to individual. Yes, the Sicilian is a highly revered and very sharp weapon and is often seen as the strongest possible reply to 1. e4. However, as you become more experienced you’ll find that certain positions just aren’t to your liking, and adjust your play accordingly.

Akobian, for instance, is a 2700+ GM who uses the French defense just about exclusively, and is one of the world’s leading experts on it. Now, ask an average club or tournament player what they think about 1. e4 e6... they’ll likely say that black is only playing for a draw, that the opening is boring and not tactical, etc etc.

But I ask you: if a super GM is playing it and obviously winning with it, can the opening be classified as such? Really? I personally play the Alekhine because as I think I mentioned above, I enjoy the hypermodern school of thought and the games are highly entertaining and usually end up a tactical slugfest.

But I do agree with Fromper that for someone just starting out, e4 e5 may be the most logical and “best” play for you, as it brings out a rather balanced game and teaches you how important a stake in the center is for black.
                        Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Nay, 1. ... e5 is its equal, if entirely different. The French and Pirc are the next-best for black, from an objective point of view, I'd say they're somewhat less potent, but no less valid or playable if handled properly.

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                          Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                          --Red Dwarf

Comment

As White, I play the Italian Game almost exclusively. I really like eyeing down on the f7 pawn.

As Black, I don't have a fixed repertoire. I often get to play White so that's one of the reason. Against weaker players I would play 1...e5, but against strong ones, I avoid it, because I realise that I often end up defending throughout the game and defending is one of the most unpleasant things in chess for me. Right behind losing a queen due to a blunder but that doesn't happen as often now (maybe 1 in 1,000 games). Plus, defending is outright unexciting. So I often opt for the Sicilian Defence for the imbalanced position it brings (imbalanced positions = more chance for counter-attacks).

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
                            "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

Originally posted by Rimuel V2 View Post
                              As White, I play the Italian Game almost exclusively. I really like eyeing down on the f7 pawn.

As Black, I don't have a fixed repertoire. I often get to play White so that's one of the reason. Against weaker players I would play 1...e5, but against strong ones, I avoid it, because I realise that I often end up defending throughout the game and defending is one of the most unpleasant things in chess for me. Right behind losing a queen due to a blunder but that doesn't happen as often now (maybe 1 in 1,000 games). Plus, defending is outright unexciting. So I often opt for the Sicilian Defence for the imbalanced position it brings (imbalanced positions = more chance for counter-attacks).
                              Hmm, would you happen to be one of those people who play an early Ng5 against the Two Knights (1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6) ?

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Working...
                              X