Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Aggressive Opening Suggestions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Opening Suggestions

Hey guys, been a long time since I last posted. I've been taking a break from competitive play (around 1750 USCF right now) and I've been having a lot of fun playing some very aggressive systems just for fun!

As White I've been playing the Italian game with the idea that I'd play:
    -Evans Gambit against 3...Bc5 and
    -Lolli Attack against the 2-knights (slightly more responsible than a Fried Liver)

I'm really loving playing in this style and would like to know if anyone has suggestions for similar systems of play against defenses besides 1...e5?

Currently I play:
    -Grand Prix attack against the Sicillian
    -2.e3 systems against a French or Caro Kann
    -Pretty vanilla stuff against the lesser seen systems like the Scandenavian or hyper modern stuff (No need to get too gambity against these systems.)

I guess in particular I'm wondering if you guys know similar systems I can play against a Sicillian, French, and Caro Kann?

Thanks guys!

Aggressive players seem to like the Smith-Morra against the Sicilian; I can tell you it's nothing but annoying for black.
    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

I would suggest a variation of the wing gambit. You have direct wing and delayed wing. I have seen more GM's favor the delayed wing, because it's a little less likely you will see the "refutation" lines. Refutation is in quotes because people believe they refuted the gambit, but recent studies have brought it back.

I usually recommend the Morra gambit, but since you play the Evans Gambit, my suggestion is the wing. You can play it against both the Sicilian and the French. Morra recommendations are usually made when the person likes the Danish/Goring/Scotch and two knights proper.

For the Caro-Kann I would suggest either the Fantasy variation or the Two knights attack. For the Pirc, I would suggest the "a3 variaiton" of the Austrian Attack. EG: 1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 g6 4. f4! Bg7 5. a3!

This indirectly prevents the mainline with 5. Nf3 c5! Which is blacks most potent try against the Austrian attack. They lose a pawn if they try it in the a3 line.

Against the Sniper? I would suggest the 1. e4, 2. d4, 3. c4 setup, offering to go into modern benoni/accelerated dragon maroczy bind structures.

That is the easy answer. Could potentially get ya to expert.

There is a slightly harder and more correct way, but I am refraining from mentioning it directly because it's more for people that want to potentially get master in the long run.
      I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

For CC, f4 is a great attacking mix up, e.g:
        1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.e5 Bf5 4.f4
        I also noticed that sometimes c6 tempts black to play Qa5, and then he follows up with Nf6-Ne4 threatening to win a pawn. In such situations you should 0-0. This as a whole idea works against Caro, Czech Benoni and most of the alike setups.
        Blackmar Diemer Ryder is almost too good to be true (the general idea here is too play for time as much as you can):
        1.e4 d5 2.d4 dxe4 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.f3 exf3 5.Qxf3
        In the French people tend to mix up when they 0-0 too soon, greek gift is your friend here as well as the h file attack (you can often sac a piece to open the h file because the king is stuck).
        In Sicilian there's a Evans-like Gambit:
        1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.b4
        You might also want to look up Belgrade and Haloween Gambits, as for 1. e4 e5
        Skype chess coaching? Send a message!
        Ever heard of The Hook and Ladder trick? Please refer to the famous game by Andriej Hook and James Ladder.
        Play as if you didn't understand chess. People always fear what they don't understand.

Comment

Lolli Attack? I play Two Knights as black. What's the 4th move and beyond?

Nevermind. I googled it. *haha* As black I get my shot in first. We have similar playing styles, but I am ultra-aggressive with black against 1.e4.

After 4. Ng5 d5 5.exd5, the fun begins with 5. ... b5!

Are you on ICC? I think it would be mad fun to play you. We are about equal in OTB rating.
          Last edited by Phoenix; 09-22-2013, 04:09 PM.

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
          *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
          Perfect Your Chess
          Sharpen your Tactics
          The Middlegame, Book I
          ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus5000 View Post
            I guess in particular I'm wondering if you guys know similar systems I can play against a Sicillian, French, and Caro Kann?
            Thanks guys!
            Your preference (Evans, Lolli) seems to be quick development, giving up a bit material and pressure against f7-point. Based on that I recommend:

Sicilian: Smith-Morra gambit 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nc3 Nc6 5.Nf3 d6 6.Bc4 ...

French: Alapin 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Be3 dxe4 4.f3 exf3 5.Nf3 Nf6 6.Bd3 .....

Caro: Fantasy 1.e4 c6 2.d4 d5 3.f3 dxe4 4. fxe4 e5 5.Nf3 exd4 (?) 6.Bc4 ...

All these variations are supposed to give white easy and free piece play and attacking chances.
            There are only three kinds of chessplayers: Those who can count and those who cannot.

Comment

The Reti Gambit is a useful weapon against the French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_11xOtQdo
              The last prisoner I played got released during our game. He was in for armed robbery. After release he got a job in a gun factory.

-JacksonWShowalter

Comment

Originally posted by PostHypermodern View Post
                The Reti Gambit is a useful weapon against the French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_11xOtQdo
                Yes that is an interesting gambit. I saw that played once in an FICS teamleague game. White plastered black against the wall.
                I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

Gambits huh? I have to quote Terrasch here:

Q: "What is the point of playing a gambit?"

Terrasch: "To look like a dashing player at the cost of losing the game"

Do you really want to give your opponent an extra pawn in the endgame?

The f4 Sicilian leads to immediate equality for black after 2...d5!

It's still playable for white but the open Sicilians are superior, and give black more trouble. Sure he'll be prepared for them, but does he really understand, or just memorizes?

The King's Gambit is sometimes recommended by those who don't know the gambit is busted:

Bobby Fischer: A Bust to The King´s Gambit | damanegra.com

Has Fischer's Bust. Most of the site is in Spanish but Fischer's Bust was left in English, complete with Algebraic Notation.

Comment

Interestingly, Fischer continued playing the KG after he declared it "busted"

It's far from busted. Go to chessgames.com and start investigating more recent games which have occurred with it. I especially like Conquest's games featuring that opening.

It's a very skwerly opening, with alot of wild play and wild potential. Fischer's declaration is historical fun, but essentially so-much-spew.

A good, if not all-sufficient, reason to play gambits is that you get to see alot of action using them which is different from the action you've previously been used to. Doesn't hurt a bit to get some unique practice keeping you fresh and on your toes.
                    Last edited by Celadonite; 10-02-2013, 10:12 PM.
                    "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

Did you just used Skwerly as an adjective? xD

The point of a gambit is to realise all the potential piece activity you can get by using all your pieces, including your Rooks. Many amateurs don't use their Rooks! However, I don't play gambits anymore, because it is not necessary.

Those who play the Grand Prix often play 2.Nc3 before playing 3.f4 these days. But I have to agree; Main lines are stronger, objectively.
                      Last edited by Rimuel V2; 10-03-2013, 12:19 AM.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
                      "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

Originally posted by JustMe View Post
                        Gambits huh? I have to quote Terrasch here:

Q: "What is the point of playing a gambit?"

Terrasch: "To look like a dashing player at the cost of losing the game"

Do you really want to give your opponent an extra pawn in the endgame?

The f4 Sicilian leads to immediate equality for black after 2...d5!

It's still playable for white but the open Sicilians are superior, and give black more trouble. Sure he'll be prepared for them, but does he really understand, or just memorizes?

The King's Gambit is sometimes recommended by those who don't know the gambit is busted:

Bobby Fischer: A Bust to The King´s Gambit | damanegra.com

Has Fischer's Bust. Most of the site is in Spanish but Fischer's Bust was left in English, complete with Algebraic Notation.

This is okay, but let me ask you two things.

1. What if they play 2. Nc3?

2. Can you PROVE yourself that you can equalize with 2. .. d5?

Most people who claim 2. .. d5 equalize still don't know why it equalizes. So do you? Chances are.. you don't.

Also:

Fischers bust has been busted for almost 20 years. As well.. Even if you wanted to prove it works.. Can YOU do it?

I agree with Tarrasch, BTW.

Comment

Haha, I beat you to it, Cookie.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
                          "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

Yeah, I saw your reply. Had to make it LOOK better.

Comment

I have a rough idea about why 2...d5 is great, it has many of the strengths of the Scandinavian without some of its drawbacks. 3.exd5,Nf6 where 4.c4 just to hold the pawn. The d4 square is weakened and black has great prospects with it. 4...e6 to help get the Nb8 into the game to watch over that square. I could be wrong though, but I like knowing why moves are made and have some Smirnov courses (I should get his opening course though since I'm sometimes weak there).

As for 3.Nc3,d4 looks viable, it grabs space and blocks in the Bf1. 4.Ne2,Nf6 provoking an advance of the e-pawn with an Alekhine defense motive: 5.e5,Nd5 and black has equalized. I'm no master though so my understanding still isn't complete.

As for Fischer's bust even if I don't fully understand it I should be able to use the advantages I obtain over the board and look at all my checks, captures, and threats to make sure I don't slink into equality or even a losing position (if losing from the Fischer Defense can happen to Karpov who used it against Spassky, it can damn well happen to any of us).
                              Last edited by JustMe; 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X