Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

English Opening

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Opening

Does anybody here play it, what's your experience so far with it?
    Are you more comfortable facing 1.e4/d4 or English opening?
    " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Originally posted by ryan_c View Post
    I've very minimal experience playing it, a great deal more facing it. I find it to be quiet, positional and in general not to my taste. It's solid and won't get you into trouble (rightaway), it can get sharp in Reversed Sicilians but mmh..

The only point of interest, to put it that way, for me is the possible transpositions. I'm a Dutch defender, I'm happy with 1.c4 f5 2.d4 for instance. There are English attackers that don't play d4 at all, still I have to take that into account.

If d4 isn't played, I'm generally speaking more comfortable than 1.d4; without d4 there's no d5. I'm less worried than against 1.e4 for both 1.d4 and 1.c4, but 1.e4 is stylistically more to my liking..
    Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
    Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
    Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
    Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
    Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
    Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
    Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
    --Red Dwarf

Comment

Funny enough I'm actually in the same boat as Perseus in some ways.

I play f5 against d4, and generally reply f5 against c4 as well. c4 f5 d4 makes me extremely happy.

However there was one game where white didn't play d4, and I waited for him to play this, and developed like usualy along the classical dutch lines (e6, Nf6, Be7, d6, etc.) and then in the end he played d3 instead. I ended up wasting a tempo "preparing" e5 when I could have just played it immediately.
      I got tricked into a transposition of the English with a tempo down apparently.

Perseus: If your opponent doesn't play d4 do you play e5 right away? How do you go about playing the Dutch against the English if they don't play d4.

Additionally, f5 doesn't fare well against Nf3 apparently, and I intend to mostly just revert back to the Nimzo Indian/Queen's Indian Lines against this.

And I've thought about playing Nf6 against c4, but it could run into some of the same things where I'm trying to prevent e4, but can't easily because of d3 being played instead of d4.

I find the English very quiet, especially if you play c5 against it. Unfortunately for me, I find it too quiet to play as black when I'm higher rated than my opponent and need to try to win as black.

So overally, I'm more comfortable playing against d4 and e4 than c4.

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post
        I've very minimal experience playing it, a great deal more facing it. I find it to be quiet, positional and in general not to my taste. It's solid and won't get you into trouble (rightaway), it can get sharp in Reversed Sicilians but mmh..

The only point of interest, to put it that way, for me is the possible transpositions. I'm a Dutch defender, I'm happy with 1.c4 f5 2.d4 for instance. There are English attackers that don't play d4 at all, still I have to take that into account.

If d4 isn't played, I'm generally speaking more comfortable than 1.d4; without d4 there's no d5. I'm less worried than against 1.e4 for both 1.d4 and 1.c4, but 1.e4 is stylistically more to my liking..
        Yeah the general view is English is quite positional, but looking at the games of Gulko, Suba and Korchnoi they have great attacking games with English. Regarding f5, yeah there are english players that does not play d4 against the dutch, they choose the botvinnik set up instead.
        " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Originally posted by DevastatioN View Post
          Funny enough I'm actually in the same boat as Perseus in some ways.

I play f5 against d4, and generally reply f5 against c4 as well. c4 f5 d4 makes me extremely happy.

However there was one game where white didn't play d4, and I waited for him to play this, and developed like usualy along the classical dutch lines (e6, Nf6, Be7, d6, etc.) and then in the end he played d3 instead. I ended up wasting a tempo "preparing" e5 when I could have just played it immediately.
          I got tricked into a transposition of the English with a tempo down apparently.

Perseus: If your opponent doesn't play d4 do you play e5 right away? How do you go about playing the Dutch against the English if they don't play d4.

Additionally, f5 doesn't fare well against Nf3 apparently, and I intend to mostly just revert back to the Nimzo Indian/Queen's Indian Lines against this.

And I've thought about playing Nf6 against c4, but it could run into some of the same things where I'm trying to prevent e4, but can't easily because of d3 being played instead of d4.

I find the English very quiet, especially if you play c5 against it. Unfortunately for me, I find it too quiet to play as black when I'm higher rated than my opponent and need to try to win as black.

So overally, I'm more comfortable playing against d4 and e4 than c4.
          My general rule of thumb (trial and error):
          If there's no d4 by move 3, play e5: 1.c4 f5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.g3 e5

Not that it is bad in all other cases, but you're not in the kind of Dutch position you might want to be in.

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
          Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
          --Red Dwarf

Comment

I have experience as white. According to Roman, which is only implied, one of the best ways is to force white into a reti, or queens gambit decline with e6 or c6.

My personal experiences the only major problems I had were kings Indian set ups. Not saying I lost a lot or didn't understand them just they felt more dangerous when playing against them. That you probably be related to the Dutch defenders cause they tend to hyper accelerate the set up.

Cool post cause English is in my basic rep. Was my strongest opening back in my rise through the C-A sections. I loved it.

Roman on his introduction DVD recommends an exchange line where you trade off the f6 knight for the c1 bishop and then fight for the d5 square. Maybe with some prep that plan is okay against Dutch people but I don't think it challenges them. Roman is a bit single minded on recommended theoreticals. But he does make it easy.

Is there a reason Kasparov was left out in English attackers? Just curious.
            I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

I play the Reti, which many times transposes to an English due to c4 being a big part of most lines. Really, it’s just like any other opening: don’t blunder.
              Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
                I play the Reti, which many times transposes to an English due to c4 being a big part of most lines. Really, itís just like any other opening: donít blunder.
                That is easy to say when you only consider only immediate dropping of pieces and pawns blunders. When more subtle blunders come in to play makes it harder. That is how I kept losing the importance games in my last Vegas tournament silly long term blunders. Hopefully I will make less of them in this one.
                I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

Originally posted by CookieMonster View Post
                  I have experience as white. According to Roman, which is only implied, one of the best ways is to force white into a reti, or queens gambit decline with e6 or c6.

My personal experiences the only major problems I had were kings Indian set ups. Not saying I lost a lot or didn't understand them just they felt more dangerous when playing against them. That you probably be related to the Dutch defenders cause they tend to hyper accelerate the set up.

Cool post cause English is in my basic rep. Was my strongest opening back in my rise through the C-A sections. I loved it.

Roman on his introduction DVD recommends an exchange line where you trade off the f6 knight for the c1 bishop and then fight for the d5 square. Maybe with some prep that plan is okay against Dutch people but I don't think it challenges them. Roman is a bit single minded on recommended theoreticals. But he does make it easy.

Is there a reason Kasparov was left out in English attackers? Just curious.
                  Bg5-Bxf6 planning d5, I really approve of that idea in general. Trading the knight off might take away some white edge, but it makes play for black harder. Most Dutch defenders are very fond of that knight that can go to all sorts of cool places and keeps the boogiemen (d5 and e4) at bay.

I've seen some of Roman's material before, he does get a little to crazy about his own lines. Ideas are more imortant, I think on that we can all agree.

When I'm black in c4-f5 and white lets me setup a Classical Dutch defence with e5 in (in one go or otherwise), I tend to be happy. White might get his own setup in as well, hey, that's fine. What's really neat for the Classical Dutch for me is that I also play the Modern Steinitz against the Ruy Lopez (huh? how are those at all related?). Well, if you play e5, Nc6, a6, d6 and get in f5 early, that's like a Dutch with e5.

--Red Dwarf

Comment

Originally posted by CookieMonster View Post
                    That is easy to say when you only consider only immediate dropping of pieces and pawns blunders. When more subtle blunders come in to play makes it harder. That is how I kept losing the importance games in my last Vegas tournament silly long term blunders. Hopefully I will make less of them in this one.
                    Does that mean you'll be studying openings?
                    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

1. I've considered playing it, although I don't like the possibility of facing 1. c4 e5. I could certainly try to find something that works by trial and error, but that's my entire opening repertoire right now .
                      2. I'm mostly comfortable in facing the English. I usually stick with this formation:

It's a bit passive, but more often than not it works as a starting point for the important parts of my chess games that I need improvement on: middlegame tactics, planning, and strategy.
                      Brick walls hurt, but are effective for banging against repeatedly. For future reference, cardboard walls are fun too.

Being a professional player is something akin to being a prostitute. First I played because other people did it. Then I played because I liked to play. And finally I played just for the money. - Benko

Procrastination: due date = do date

Comment

The thing with english, there are positions that are easy to grasp, they are also positions that requires deep positional understanding. The dilemma of english players is when they face 1..c6/e6, should they continue with english set up, or allow transposition into d4 openings. Marin suggest a gambit against 1..c6/e6 if you want to continue in the natural english flavor.
                        Last edited by ryan_c; 04-22-2013, 01:43 AM.

-- Garry Kasparov--

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
                          Does that mean you'll be studying openings?
                          Most of my openings are pretty set in stone. So no.. I will be focusing on middle game and endgame.

Comment

The thing with english, there are positions that are easy to grasp, they are also positions that requires deep positional understanding. The dilemma of english players is when they face 1..c6/e6, should they continue with english set up, or allow transposition into d4 openings. Marin suggest a gambit against 1..c6/e6 if you want to continue in the natural english flavor.
                            That's a bit surprising to me. I always go 1. c4 c6/e6 2. d4, because I would respond to 1. d4 c6/e6 with 2. c4. So it's just a transposition to me.

I'm also at a point with chess where I try to avoid having too many specific openings to learn. So it's more of a personal preference than anything else.
                            Brick walls hurt, but are effective for banging against repeatedly. For future reference, cardboard walls are fun too.

Being a professional player is something akin to being a prostitute. First I played because other people did it. Then I played because I liked to play. And finally I played just for the money. - Benko

Procrastination: due date = do date

Comment

Originally posted by granturismo4ad View Post
                              That's a bit surprising to me. I always go 1. c4 c6/e6 2. d4, because I would respond to 1. d4 c6/e6 with 2. c4. So it's just a transposition to me.

I'm also at a point with chess where I try to avoid having too many specific openings to learn. So it's more of a personal preference than anything else.
                              2. d4 is fine, the gambit Na3 is just for players who want to maintain an english flavor as Marin told, and does not want to transpose to 1.d4 openings.

-- Garry Kasparov--

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Working...
                              X