Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

[Strategy] What would be your plan in this position

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Strategy] What would be your plan in this position

Hi,

This week-end, I played a game, and lost whereas I had a better position (2 pawns & quality).

Here is the position (I played with Blacks) where I began to take bad decisions :

My mistake was to have a bad plan : I tried to obtain the weak pawn on column e. But it was defended by the Knight, and it was impossible for my Bishop to attack it. When I realized that I cannot capture it, I toke another bad decision : open my colums f & g, to attack the king side, but my own King was no more protected by pawns. And Whites finally attacked my King, and I lost.

So, I wonder : what would be your plan in this position ? To develop Queen side by moving pawns a & b ? And open columns a & b (or c) for the Rooks ?

Thanks,
    Seb.
    ELO Calculator, only on Android

Here's what I would do:

First, activate my bishop. My goal is to put the bishop on e4. From there, is dominates a lot of key central squares, including pressuring the potentially target square on g2.

Then I'd double my rooks on the half-open file, with the idea of performing a "rook lift" - Re8-e6-g6 ... more pressure on g2, or, if I want, move it to the h-file, threatening to crash through that way.

The nature of the position is that you don't need to advance your pawns on the kingside to attack.

But the first rule of positions like this is improve your worst-placed piece. That's got to be your bishop, which is "bad" but is a strong piece on e4. so Bf4 is a good first move. Then double your rooks. You'll have a hard time winning the e3 pawn because white can defend it with the bishop but use the open file to activate your pieces.

Comment

One plan might be the simple a5 shove, threatening to bust up the a and b pawns, and then start qside pawns rolling to pressure his position.
      Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

If it was your move then Qb1 winning the a pawn and making the b pawn very weak.

But in general, plan would be Bg4, trying to exchange any pieces off. Whilst looking for any Qb1+ winning a pawn.

If white pedantically refuses to trade pieces then Rac8, c5 breaking his pawn chain.

Then just overwhelm whites position.

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
          One plan might be the simple a5 shove, threatening to bust up the a and b pawns, and then start qside pawns rolling to pressure his position.
          That's not the correct plan in this position. In fact, a queenside pawn advance is black's main strategy in this position, as a "minority attack" might generate some prospects.

Originally posted by Gargareth View Post

But in general, plan would be Bg4, trying to exchange any pieces off. Whilst looking for any Qb1+ winning a pawn.

If white pedantically refuses to trade pieces then Rac8, c5 breaking his pawn chain.
          Pushing c5 is bad because it turns the bishop on B2 into a very powerful piece.

You don't want to give him uncontested control over the long diagonal. An uncontested bishop on a long diagonal can easily be as valuable as a rook - although in this case it probably won't be (because black has a good plan to get his rooks active) as a general rule, you want to avoid activating your opponents pieces for him.

Bg4 is fine, but a little robotic. Yes, you want to trade pieces, but you don't want to do so mindlessly. The thread to f3 isn't that meaningful, because Bxf3 gxf3! Qmoves e4! and white gets his central pawns rolling and - again - has activated his bishop on the long diagonal.

The weakness of e4 and black's bad bishop are major weaknesses in white's position, and black should strive to maintain them. The bishop on e4 is likely to be so powerful that white will feel compelled to swap his knight off for it himself, allowing black to recapture with a rook, keeping pressure on the weak pawn.

That square is so weak that I suspect black is easily winning if you gave white the exchange back, say, swapping the N on f3 for a R on c8.

I'm harping on this because it's worth pointing out: yes, trading pieces is a correct strategy, but there's not need to rush to do it, so find a way to do it which maintains your other advantages, too.

Comment

thanks guys,

I am going to try to replay this game on my computer.
            ELO Calculator, only on Android

Comment

When I analysed the position I forgot to put the white e1 rook down so my ideas were wrong, my point of just trading down and the c5 idea would be fine under those circumstances as you are winning by huge amounts.

Bg4 IS a good idea in the correct position, connecting rooks and moving to exchange down to a won game.

Black should try to trade his bishop off for whites knight, he should leave the pawn structure as is and bring the rooks in. Trade queens when possible and just crush him with your 2 rooks vs his rook and awful bishop.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargareth View Post
                Bg4 IS a good idea in the correct position, connecting rooks and moving to exchange down to a won game.

Black should try to trade his bishop off for whites knight, he should leave the pawn structure as is and bring the rooks in. Trade queens when possible and just crush him with your 2 rooks vs his rook and awful bishop.
                Do you see how you can't force a trade of B for N (which I agree is a good goal) without changing the pawn structure in white's favor?

Whereas, if you put the B on e4, and activate your other pieces, white will probably be forced to bring his knight back to he'll try to initiate the swap himself, on e4 ... where you can recapture with the rook.

Bg4 x f3 isn't bad. But Bf5-e4 is better.

Comment

You don't force the trade, you make it in whites best interest to trade. ...Bg4 Ne5 f6 Bxg4 Qxg4
                  Other moves from white -
                  Nd2 allows the position to be quickly overrun in a fairly obvious way,
                  Nh2, Re6, Kg1 Rae8, Nf1, Rf6, Qd2, Bf3
                  Ng1 is an obvious blunder.

If white leaves the knight where it is and plays something like Ba3 then you just exchange bishop for knight, then if queen recaptures then exchange queens, if gxf3 then Qd3+ and black should win easily.

Playing slow positional ideas will will, but simplification arising from Bg4 will win quicker.

Comment

Working...
                  X