Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

The Miniature Show-Off Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Miniature Show-Off Thread

Here's a miniature in the Qxd4 (aka Chekhover) Sicilian with some light annotations. Don't be too harsh on black, he only had a total of 5 minutes to figure out what the heck I was doing. Then again, the guy does outrate me by a nice margin..
    Attached Files
    Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
    Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
    Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
    Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
    Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
    Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
    Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
    --Red Dwarf

ouch!!
    I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight

Comment

I believe I made a thread that these types of things would fit into perfectly... http://www.chessforums.org/chess-gam...positions.html

Comment

Well done! 12.Nd5! is a very sharp move that unsettles black into parting with 3 pawns. Sometimes that is the effect of sacrifices.

And 19.Ne5 to 20.Nxd7+ was a nice tactical method to gain the advantage.

I'll have to look at 4.Qxd4 some more, its a nice idea.

Interesting is:

15. Rxe7+ Qxe7

-(15... Kf8 $4 16. Qxf7#)-

16. Re1 Qxe1+ 17.Nxe1 Bc8

-(17... Rg6 $4 18. Qh8+ Ke7 19. Qxa8 $18)-

-(17... h5 18. Nf3 Rc8 19. Ng5 Rf8 20. Qg7 Ke7 21. Nh7 Rg8 22. Qf6+ Ke8 23. Qxd6 Rg6 24. Qf8#)-

--(23... Kd8 24. Nf6 Rg6 25. Qxd7#)--

---(24... Rc7 25. Nxg8 b6 26. Qe7+ Kc8 27. d6 $1 Rb7 28. Qf8+ Be8 29. Qxe8#)---

18. Qxd6 Rg6 19. Qe5+ Kf8 20. d6 Bd7

-(20... Kg8 21. Qe8+ Kg7 22. d7 Bxd7 23. Qxa8 $18)-

-(20... Re6 $4 21. Qh8#)-

21. Qe7+ Kg7 22. Qxd7 $18

Comment

Originally posted by iMatt View Post
          Well done! 12.Nd5! is a very sharp move that unsettles black into parting with 3 pawns. Sometimes that is the effect of sacrifices.

And 19.Ne5 to 20.Nxd7+ was a nice tactical method to gain the advantage.

I'll have to look at 4.Qxd4 some more, its a nice idea.

Interesting is:

15. Rxe7+ Qxe7 16. Re1 Qxe1+
          Alas, black doesn't have to part with the queen, which is why I rejected it during the game:
          16. ... Be6! 17. Qxh6+ O-O-O 18. dxe6 fxe6 19. Rxe6 Qf7 20. Qe3 Rxg2 and I think black is more than equal.

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
          Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
          --Red Dwarf

Comment

Couldn't find an appropriate thread for my latest miniature so I repurposed this one. Feel like showing off your miniature game? Post 'em right here!

Thought I'd post this Scandinavian Defense.
            Attached Files

--Red Dwarf

Comment

It's almost unfair!

Comment

Well, as long as we've got a thread for it...

The sad part about this game is that it was a time limit of 7 days per move, so there was really no excuse.
                Attached Files

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post
                  Couldn't find an appropriate thread for my latest miniature so I repurposed this one. Feel like showing off your miniature game? Post 'em right here!

Thought I'd post this Scandinavian Defense.
                  That reminds me of this mate in 5 I delivered as black when playing the game of Gothic Chess.

game

Mated with a knight also since the Chancellor has the Rook's power in the king's file.

Comment

This is a miniature blitz game I played just now on ChessCube. My opponent was rated above 1800 so I don't know how he lost that one?? Or whether he gave it away on purpose.
                    Attached Files
                    Karpov is the Yin to Kasparov's Yang - Josh Waitzkin

Comment

Not my best effort to say the least...from dragonheelslair.com I'm white.

1.g3 e5 2.Bg2 d5 3.c4 dxc4 4.Qa4+ c6
                      5.Qxc4 Nf6 6.a3 Be6 7.Qc2 Nbd7
                      8.Nf3 Nc5 9.d3 Nb3 10.Resigns 0-1

Comment

Here's another one but it borders on not being a miniature. I'm White.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I define a miniature as 50 ply or less.

But congrats on a fine performance!

Comment

Online quicky:
                            1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 d6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 bxc6? 7.O-O Nf6 8.e5 c5 9.Qd3 Ng8? 10.Re1 dxe5? 11.Nxe5 e6?? 12.Qf3 Rb8 13.Qxf7# 1-0

People like this shouldn't touch the Sicilian.

--Red Dwarf

Comment

I liked this one as an example of a stronger amateur (me) exploiting a weaker amateur. I thought the attack was quite nice.

Oh and ignore the 'illegal' move 26...axb3e which is perfectly legal. Just imagine a pawn on b3.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by ChessIsCool; 05-11-2011, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X