Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Another ANNOTATED long game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another ANNOTATED long game!

Hey again guys, I just finished this long game on ICC. Both sides had 45 minutes with 10 second increments, I wanted to upload my ideas fresh right after the game. I'll give it another in depth shot later on, but I think as is it's a good insight to my noobish thinking! Also I'll post the pgn text in case your java isn't working
    [Event "Blitz 45m+10s"]
    [Site "Daytona"]
    [Date "2016.01.13"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "ICC opponent"]
    [Black "Funyun, Sean"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B36"]
    [WhiteElo "1321"]
    [BlackElo "1483"]
    [Annotator "Sean"]
    [PlyCount "50"]
    [TimeControl "2700+10"]

1. e4 c5 {The sicillian defense. Black takes control of the d4 square with a
    wing pawn.} 2. c4 {I believe this is considered to be the start of a Marcozy
    Bind. White is making a firm claim to the d5 square and hampering the ideas of
    black playing d5.} Nc6 {Simple development while adding a defender to the d4
    square.} 3. Nf3 {d4 is contested further with natural devlopment.} d6 {While
    I'm not sure if this is a 'book' response, to me it makes sense in that I
    intend to develop my knight to f6 safely considering d6 helps contest the e5
    square.} 4. Nc3 {White develops his other knight, clamping harder on d5. Keep
    in mind that white need not develop his bishops just yet, it is not known
    where they may best be placed just yet.} Nf6 5. d4 {Striking out in the
    center! Typically in the Marcozy bind white strives for a pawn structure with
    something like d3 instead of d4. This move frees both of white's bishops
    however, and demands that Black give it attention. If left unattended
    something like d5 could be quite annoying!} cxd4 {A simple exchange, but keep
    in mind black has given a wing pawn for a center pawn. I have no qualms over
    this.} 6. Nxd4 {White recaptures and threatens black's knight. There is no
    rush for Black to capture the knight, we must strive forward with our own
    plans and ignore keep the 'tension'.} g6 7. Nxc6 {A centralized knight for a
    knight that is doing very little. Personally I do not like this kind of move
    that white played. Black has not indicated he wishes to take the knight, and
    white would do better to make use of his turn with some simple development.
    Even something such as Be2 would hasten his castling! I might also point out
    that strategically I do not white's move, the d5 square is what white has been
    fighting for, and after the recapture an annoying pawn will deny the Knight
    his comfy advanced square!} bxc6 8. Be3 {Aha, a nice devloping move that could
    have been played a turn earlier!} Bg7 {Black indirectly beings to contest the
    h8-a1 diagonal. Once it is uncovered it will slice down the board with a
    commanding struggle for the darks squares in the center!} 9. e5 $6 {I have to
    admit, I was not expecting this move at all, but it sank me into a deep think!
    White is offering a pawn with the idea of blunting the dark squared bishop
    temporarily and a trade of queen's where black would be denied castling. I
    spent about ten minutes alone on observing the variation with a queen swap but
    found a more precise threat of my own! Remember, if you can ignore your
    opponet's threats and make larger ones yourself then go for it!} Ng4 {This
    move unveils a few wonderful ideas. Firstly, it adds an attacker to the
    undefed, advanced white e5 pawn. Secondly it threatens to take white's dark
    squared bishop and permantly cripple his ability to contest black's annoying
    dark squared bishop on g7.} (9... dxe5 {[%emt 0:00:00]} 10. Qxd8+ Kxd8 11.
    O-O-O+ Kc7 {Black is a pawn up and our pawn on c6 valiantly defends the b5 and
    d5 squares, this is fine for black but it will a bit of work to readjust his
    pieces.}) 10. exd6 {I sank into another short think in this position. White
    has a few replies after I cut off white's wonderful dark squared bishop. There
    is no rush to recapture the pawn when I can gain a favorable imbalance!} Nxe3
    11. fxe3 (11. dxe7 Qxd1+ 12. Nxd1 Nf5 {And black is a piece up.}) (11. d7+ Bxd7
    12. fxe3 {Black is doing fine here with the new bishop pair while white gains
    an isolated pawn and must work to unpin his knight on c3 from the tyrannical
    g7 bishop.}) 11... exd6 {Black inherits some 'hanging' pawns, but as they
    stand they are perfectly defended.} 12. g3 {And odd looking move, but you have
    to realize that the pawn on e3 is weak. This prevents the black check on h4
    and allows his bishop room to develop.} (12. Bd3 Qh4+ 13. g3) 12... Qe7 {I'm
    not sure if castling needed to be rushed in this position, but I went ahead
    and put pressure on that isolated pawn.} (12... O-O {[%emt 0:00:00]} 13. Bg2
    Re8 {And now the rook attacks the weak pawn leaving room for our queen to go
    queenside if she wishes. I think this might have been more accurate.}) 13. Qf3
    {Attacking the weak pawn on c6, but Black doesn't need to worry about white
    taking it, his e3 pawn would be left undefended.} O-O 14. Bg2 Bxc3+ {A
    colossal blunder! I had been considering the idea of simply Rb8 but I became
    so FIXED on the idea of creating two major pawn weaknesses in his position. I
    was listening to a lecture by GM Akobain where he said that usually two
    weaknesses is critical, because you can 'stretch' him out. I wasted some
    serious time here considering Rb8, restraining myself from taking the knight
    because of how strong my dark squared bishop was and neglected to look deeper
    into the tactics after Rb1. Live and learn, I guess!} (14... Rb8 {White is in
    serious trouble, pawn grabbing will get him no where. Let's see what would
    happen if I were not lazy and he played the move I feared would stop it all.}
    15. Rb1 Bxc3+ $1 {White cannot recapture because the rook is hanging!} 16. bxc3
    Rxb1+ {And it would be all over.}) 15. bxc3 Bg4 $2 {Playing for tricks! A
    complete blunder, I was starting to feel some time pressure while my opponent
    had some healthy time on the clock which made this move even worse. I got
    exicted at the prospect of picking up two pawns and him playing inaccurately
    to win a rook. Terrible, terrible idea! Some like Bd7 tidys things up, or even
    Rb8 with a strong active rook for the pawn.} 16. Qf2 {I suppose my opponent
    was also afraid of ghosts! Well, at least it afforded me the chance to shake
    off the mistake and get back to siezing the intiative.} (16. Qxg4 Qxe3+ 17. Kf1
    Qxc3 18. Rd1 Rab8 {And now white has some counterplay against the 'hanging
    pawns'}) 16... Qe5 {Threatening check and all sorts of mess.} 17. O-O $1 {
    Personally I love this move from white. There is no sense in trying to fight
    for the c3 pawn when Black would simple pile on the e pawn or swing his rook
    over to b8 and cause more mess.} Be6 {Repositoning my bishop to hit some more
    weaknesses and fight for a more active square.} 18. Qe2 (18. Bxc6 Rac8 {You
    can see that white's doubled pawns are becoming quite the burden here.}) 18...
    d5 {Trying to blunt the white squared bishop and offer exchanges. Afterwards
    black will have clear targets of white's three weak, 3 isolanted pawn islands
    on e3, c3-c4, and a2.} 19. Rad1 Rad8 {Adding to the defense of the pawn and
    getting the rook off the a8 square that the white bishop had been eyeballing!}
    20. cxd5 Bxd5 21. e4 $2 {A weak move. White voluntarily blocks his white
    bishop with no tangible threat.} Be6 22. g4 $2 {Perhaps he feared the skewer
    idea by Bg4, hitting the queen and rook but it was never going to happen,
    black had no real way to support a silly move like that!} Qxc3 {Taking use of
    the tempo and gobbling up that pawn finally.} 23. Rf3 $2 {An inbetween move
    that really damns his position. The skewer on g4 just became a painful reality,
    his rook is blocking his queen which defended that square!} Rxd1+ 24. Qxd1 Qc5+
    25. Kh1 Bxg4 {And that's all she wrote, the skewer took effect and white
    resigned after this postion.} 0-1
    Attached Files
    "The Pin is mightier than the sword." -Fred Reinfield
Working...
X