Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

My ANNOTATED King's Gambit Long game!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My ANNOTATED King's Gambit Long game!

Hey guys, this is one of my first attempts for a longer time control game annotation. Both sides had 45 minutes with 10 second time gain increments. Please feel free to give advice, critique, etc. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    "The Pin is mightier than the sword." -Fred Reinfield

Can you post the game as a txt PGN? My Java is angering me.
    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
      Can you post the game as a txt PGN? My Java is angering me.
      Sure thing! I have been unable to get java to work on here no matter what I do.
      [Event "ICC 45 10"]
      [Site "Internet Chess Club"]
      [Date "2016.01.06"]
      [Round "?"]
      [White "Vausch"]
      [Black "G-Force55"]
      [Result "1-0"]
      [ECO "C34"]
      [WhiteElo "1450"]
      [BlackElo "1386"]
      [Plycount "117"]
      [Eventdate "2016.??.??"]
      [TimeControl "2700+10"]

{ This will be one of my first attempts to really annotate a game of mine
      WITHOUT the help of a chess engine. } 1.e4 e5 2.f4 { While this is a longer
      time control game, I've grown fairly comfortable with the King's Gambit. Time
      to try and make Spassky proud, eh? } 2...exf4 { Accepting the gambit and deferring a
      pawn away from the center. } 3.Nf3 Nc6 { I've seen this variation before but I
      feel it is less opressieve than some of Black's other choice of moves. White
      may still play d4 with pleasure. } 4.d4 { Gaining more central space, opening
      an attacker on f4 and fixing a central pawn majority in the center. While
      black may have chances to shove his d pawn in the center at some point, this
      does not bode as well as having both the e and d pawns. } 4...d5 { Black issues a
      challenge! This move unlocks both of Black's bishops and puts a question to
      White's pawn majority in the center. I considered no-nonsense development such
      as Nc3, but I see no reason to try and blast open the center especially after
      Bb4. There is no rush to play Nc3. } 5.e5 { Tightening the coils on Black's
      territory. With this pawn on e5, white controls the natural square f6 for
      Black's knight, the practical square d6 for Black's bishop to protect his won
      pawn and gains more space. White opts to keep his larger pawn majority in the
      center, and Black must find a way to crack it if he is to make progress. } 5...Bg4 { A natural developing move, aiding in the expedition to castle queenside if
      Black desires. But as Silman says, we must always consider such phantom pins
      and the imbalances that may arise if white demands to crap or get off the pot.
      Black's white bishop has much more freedom than the Black counterpart
      considering it has access to the kingside and queenside. If Black were to
      trade his bishop for that knight, it creates a clear minor piece imbalance and
      may reduce Black's chances to influence the white squares on the board. } 6.c3 { White commits to the large central pawn structure. The pin on his knight
      weakened his d4 pawn but with this move white robs the b4 square from the c6
      knight (Steinitz's rule!) and hamstrings the influence of the black bishop. If
      white were to trade off his light square bishop, it would prove odd to wiggles
      his knights over to the light squares while needing to waste time making
      support points. How will Black adress this dark square queenside domination
      and large pawn chain? } 6...Nge7 { Developing a piece with the idea of going to g6. } 7.Bxf4 { With a pleasure. White develops another piece and supports his
      advanced e pawn. } 7...Ng6 { I see no need to swap my good bishop for a knight that
      I can squeeze away squares from! } 8.Bg3 { h3 and f4 are controlled with this
      move, not allowing the bishop for knight imbalance. At this point I was not
      sure what exactly my plan was, but I Silman had said that sometimes it's
      alright to simply gain space and improve my minor pieces to a point where they
      are simply better. I must admit that normally I enjoy the hack and slash, but
      this squeeze is comfortable. With my pawn chain pointing to the kingside I
      feel that my plan laid there, but for now I may comfortably develop and keep
      my space plus. } 8...Qd7 { Making room for development and putting pressure on the
      valuable f5 square. I saw that point as a fulcrum point for black's pieces in
      the future or my own. } 9.Bd3 { Not allowing Black's queen entry into the
      kingside and taking hold of the f5 square while developing a piece. There is
      no sense in playing something passive like Bd2 when taking my knight would
      only increase my influence of the light squares. } 9...Be7 { Developing a piece and
      putting more pressure on the h4 square but as it stands there is no real
      strategic value to h4, certainly not to the degree that f5 contends! } 10.O-O { Calm development and putting pressure along the f-file. Black must choose
      which side to castle still. } 10...O-O-O?! { I'm not sure how sound castling to the
      queenside is here. While it does remove his king from the kingside action
      white is aiming for, I feel that if his king were seated on g8 it would help
      support his rook influence on the f-file via the g8 king supporting f8. } 11.h3 { Politely asking if he would like to trade bishop for knight, there is no Bxh3
      nonsense here either. } 11...Be6 { This bishop retreat indicates that Black is not
      willing to trade knight for bishop, but unfortunately it robs the opportunity
      alltogether in the short term considering h3 protects the g4 square! } ( 11...Bxh3?? 12.gxh3 Qxh3 13.Kf2 { Everything is fine. } ) 12.Na3! { I realize
      it's a bit pompous to put an exclamation point after a move that yields no
      tactical kill, but I spent a good 10 minutes on this move with the plan of
      pbringing my knight to e4 where it will be centralized, lord over a ton of
      square and add pressure to that juicy f5 square where it may one day start to
      sink a knife into the Black king position! } 12...a6 { Taking a square away from the
      knight, but it never had any intention of going there! } 13.Nc2 Bf5 { Here I
      believe black began to realize that the f5 square and the b1-h7 diagonal may
      be of some strategic relevance. } 14.Ne3! { White sticks to his guns and
      offers the trade of light squared bishops which would retain his control of
      the f5 square! The tension is building on the kingside for Black. White's
      minor pieces are clearly better here, two centralized knights, an active white
      bishop and a black bishop that controls the critical f4 square for the Black
      knight. } 14...Be4 { I thought this move to be somewhat suspect, at some point Black
      should be fighting for the f6 push and I do not think this contributes. } 15.Qc2 { Connecting the rooks and putting pressure on the b2-h7 diagonal. } 15...Bxd3 16.Qxd3 Nf8 { Back to the back rank the knight goes! Oh how the dark squared white
      bishop tormented it. } 17.Nh4 { I make it abundantly clear that I am fighting
      for that f5 square and I want a knight there! There is no time to play g6 as
      the f7 pawn is hanging! } 17...Qe6 { Blockading the e pawn and making space for his
      knight on f8 where it may support the f6 push. } ( 17...g6?? 18.Rxf7 { And
      Black is in some serious trouble. } ) 18.Nhf5 { White is making good on his
      strategic goals, attacking the weak g7 pawn. Take a moment to appreciate
      white's knights vs black's. White has a powerful central knight on e3 which is
      sipping lemonade in the sun with his friend on f5. Meanwhile black's knights
      are attempting to fill cracks in his position with spitballs and gum! } 18...Rg8 19.Nxe7+ { Creating a B+N vs two knights imbalance. If white could get the chance
      to play bh4 it would fair better. } 19...Nxe7 20.Rf3 { No rush to play Nf5, let's
      just connect the rooks and make black squirm some more. } 20...g6?? { Oops! } 21.Rf6! Qd7 22.Rxf7 Nf5?? 23.Rxd7 { Now it's all a simple endgame grind. I'm not
      sure why this blundered occured for Black. By this point I think the time
      difference was him at 25+ minutes and me about 8 or so. } 23...Rxd7 24.Nxf5 gxf5 25.Qxf5 Kb8 26.Kh2 Rdg7 27.Qf3 { I'm starting to get into serious time pressure
      of about 3 minutes on my clock to his 20+, everything past this is hammered
      out at blitz speed. } 27...Ne6 28.Rf1 Rf8 29.Qxf8+! { I don't fear this endgame a
      piece up. Thanks Silman's endgame course! } 29...Nxf8 30.Rxf8+ Ka7 31.e6 Re7 32.Rf7 Rxe6 33.Rxh7 c6 34.h4 Re2 35.h5 Rxb2 36.h6 Re2 37.Rh8 Re7 38.Bd6 Rf7 39.Kh3 Kb6 40.g4 Kb5 41.Kh4 Rf6 42.Be5 Rf1 43.Kh5 Rh1+ 44.Kg6 Kc4 45.Rb8 b5 46.h7 Kxc3 { Please, all you can eat buffet. Don't mind the queening pawns! } 47.h8=Q Rxh8 48.Rxh8 b4 49.Kf5 a5 50.g5 a4 51.g6 a3 { Whoa, he gives white
      the 'deep freeze' for free! } 52.g7 b3 53.g8=Q bxa2 54.Rh3+ Kc4 55.Rxa3 c5 56.dxc5 Kxc5 57.Rxa2 d4 58.Rc2+ Kb5 59.Qb8+ { White declared winner by
      adjudication }
      1-0

Comment

Boy, he sure did get loose once he blundered with g6, didn't he? Nice playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
          Boy, he sure did get loose once he blundered with g6, didn't he? Nice playing.
          What did you think of my annotations?

Comment

A great idea and nice notes! Most were spot on.

Comment

Working...
            X