Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

○ The Alekhine Game Thread ○

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skwerly
    started a topic ○ The Alekhine Game Thread ○

○ The Alekhine Game Thread ○

I figured I'd create a thread in which I can fly over and paste awesome Alekhine games as I come across them. As most of you know, he's my favorite player of all time. However, so that we start off fair to the other masters (ha!), I'll make the very first game submitted in here an odd-looking draw.

I feel this is a great game to start with because it is very indicative of Alekhine's play style -- WACKY and off-beat. Check his one-off way of handling this Sicilian:

[Event "JUG tour sim"]
    [Site "Ljubljana/Novi Sad/Zagreb"]
    [Date "1930.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Alekhine, Alexander"]
    [Black "Filipcic, Branko"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [ECO "B20"]

1. e4 c5 2. b4 e6 3. bxc5 Bxc5 4. d4 Be7 5. Bb2 Nf6 6. Bd3 Nc6 7. Ne2 Nb4 8. O-O
    Qb6 9. Nbc3 Nxd3 10. Qxd3 a6 11. Rab1 d5 12. Nf4 dxe4 13. Nxe4 Qc7 14. Qf3 Qxc2
    15. Nxf6+ gxf6 16. d5 Qf5 17. dxe6 fxe6 18. Qg3 Bd6 19. Qg7 Rf8 20. g3 Rf7 21.
    Qg8+ 1/2-1/2

• Skwerly
    replied
    Another brilliant attack against none other than Lasker!

[Event "Zuerich"]
    [Site "Zuerich"]
    [Date "1934.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Black "Lasker, Emanuel"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "D67"]
    [PlyCount "51"]
    [EventDate "1934.??.??"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nf3 Be7 5. Bg5 Nbd7 6. e3 O-O 7. Rc1 c6 8. Bd3
    dxc4 9. Bxc4 Nd5 10. Bxe7 Qxe7 11. Ne4 N5f6 12. Ng3 e5 13. O-O exd4 14. Nf5 Qd8
    15. N3xd4 Ne5 16. Bb3 Bxf5 17. Nxf5 Qb6 18. Qd6 Ned7 19. Rfd1 Rad8 20. Qg3 g6
    21. Qg5 Kh8 22. Nd6 Kg7 23. e4 Ng8 24. Rd3 f6 25. Nf5+ Kh8 26. Qxg6 1-0

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    Found another nifty one against a strong master.

[Event "Bled"]
    [Site "Bled"]
    [Date "1931.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Black "Flohr, Salo"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "D28"]
    [PlyCount "57"]
    [EventDate "1931.??.??"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. e3 e6 5. Bxc4 c5 6. O-O Nc6 7. Qe2 a6 8. Rd1
    b5 9. dxc5 Qc7 10. Bd3 Bxc5 11. a4 b4 12. Nbd2 O-O 13. Nb3 Be7 14. e4 Nd7 15.
    Be3 Nde5 16. Nxe5 Nxe5 17. Rac1 Qb8 18. Bc5 Bxc5 19. Nxc5 Qb6 20. Qh5 Nd7 21.
    Be2 g6 22. Qg5 Nxc5 23. Rxc5 a5 24. h4 Ba6 25. Bf3 f6 26. Qe3 Rad8 27. Rxd8
    Rxd8 28. e5 f5 29. Rc8 1-0

That last move is just KILLER.

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    More Alekhine destruction.

[Event "Paris"]
    [Site "Paris"]
    [Date "1925.??.??"]
    [Round "5"]
    [Black "Opocensky, Karel"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [ECO "D10"]
    [PlyCount "55"]
    [EventDate "1925.??.??"]

1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. e3 Bf5 5. cxd5 Nxd5 6. Bc4 e6 7. Nge2 Nd7 8. e4
    Nxc3 9. Nxc3 Bg6 10. O-O Qh4 11. d5 exd5 12. g3 Qf6 13. exd5 Bc5 14. Re1+ Kf8
    15. Bf4 Nb6 16. Bb3 h5 17. h4 Kg8 18. Rc1 Bd4 19. dxc6 bxc6 20. Ne4 Bxe4 21.
    Rxe4 c5 22. Qe2 g6 23. Bg5 Qd6 24. Qf3 Qf8 25. Rxd4 cxd4 26. Rc6 Kh7 27. Bxf7
    Rc8 28. Rxg6 1-0

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    Yes! I love chess like that.

Leave a comment:

• JustMe
    replied
    Here is one that I've found interesting.

9.Bxf6 may succeed in reducing black's light square control, but he also helps develop the black queen, who exerts influence over the dark central squares and stares down at f3 with the bishop, and can move to g6 or any other square when advantageous.

12.Qd6 is a mistake as the queen no longer protects the f3 knight and isn't serving a useful purpose. The d7 pawn is blocked, and she can jump to g3 for an attack, but the line I give next shows why the move is bad (apart from not developing the light squared bishop yet)

Although giving up the fianchettoed bishop is usually a bad idea 12...Bxf3 13.gxf3,Qxf3 14.Rg1,Qb7 and black is doing much better and still controls the long diagonal. White has structural damage and dark square holes on the kingside. If 15.Bg2 then 15...Qxb2 16.Bxh8,Qxc1+ 17.Qd1,Qxc3+ and black is up material. But even if 16.Qd2,Qxd2+ 17.Kxd2,Nc6 black has a better position due to his extra two pawns, initiative, and will control the b-file. 15.Qg3 is aggressive, but black holds with advantage after 15...g3 16.Bd3,Qxb2 17.Bxg6,Bxc3+ 18.Rxc3,Qxc3+ 19.Kd1,f5 20.Bxf5+,Kf7 21.Be4,Nc6 black has successfully defended against the attack he likely thought was coming if he took the knight at f3.

Though the white knight being allowed to run wild and snatch pawns gave black only a clear advantage instead of winning. Better I think was 23... Rd8+ 24. Kc2 Bc6 25. Be2 Ba4+ 26. Nb3 Rd7 27. Rb2 Rdb7 28. Rhb1 Bc7 29. h3 Bg3 30. Bd3 f5 31. Bf1 Bf4 32. Be2 Where white's knight is restrained. After a later exchange of rooks and black placing his rook on d8 the king is tied to the defense of the white bishop and therefore cannot move to undo the pin against the knight. And with a bishop on e3 the c5 pawn is well defended.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JustMe; 08-24-2012, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Malbase
    replied
    Alekhine greatest games by Goldsby and Keene:
    The chess of Alexander Alekhine (A biography, by A.J. Goldsby I.)

Alekhine games:
    Florence Gleason vs Alexander Alekhine (1924)
    Florence Gleason showed up for an Alekhine simul at Chicago City Club and wanted to play blindfolded. Since Alekhine usually played two games of a simul blindfold, Ms Gleason was assigned to a board where both she and Alekhine would be sans voir. The organizers probably thought it would be entertaining to the 200 spectators. Needless to say, a short game was expected. To everyone's surprise, Gleason handled all the tactics of the game flawlessly and reached a dead drawn ending. Unfortunately, she blundered with 31.Re8??. Alekhine sounded a bit shaken by the experience, remarking to the newspaper, "In my opinion there was not another woman in the world who could do what Miss Gleason had accomplished" (Comment on Chessgames).

Collections:
    1661 games:
    Download PGN Files

Annotated game:
    Chess for All Ages: Alekhine - Selezniev, Pistyan 1922

Alekhine games in JAVA (Give time to load):
    Alexander Alekhine - Games Collection

803 Alekhine Games:
    Chess World Champions - Alexander Alekhine

2152 Alekhine games:
    Alexander Alekhine - 2152 chess games to download

38 annotated games mostly by Alekhine:
    Chessgames.com - Chess Database Community

219 annotated games (In JAVA?)
    Alexander Alekhine, annotated chess games, former world champion, grandmaster, world's greatest players

Leave a comment:

• Malbase
    replied
    Alekhine indicated on one occasion that he played over 50,000 games]. (Counting Tournaments, matches, Sims, Blindfolded and postal).
    On the web there was an Alekhine Memorial club.
    The moderator seemed to some electronic or computer games of his own. However I posted some Alekhine games which were quite rare.
    Problem was that it appears the site has dissolved.
    It appeared in Microsoft website.
    In one of my Mac files I have Keres and Tal games.
    Probably larger than any PGN collection. Tal played a lot more games than appear in any silicon file.
    In the old Soviet Union there was an Alekhine Memorial Club,
    founded 1976. As the site indicated for friendship with Indo-Russia.
    Probably the most interesting games was the games by Alekhine against Keres. Keres and Reinfeld went over the games in several books.

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    Ouch. Nice analysis and very interesting game!

Leave a comment:

• Perseus
    replied
    I've been analyzing a game between Keres and Alekhine from Margate, England 1937 and thought I might post it up here. Purpose of the analysis was for study (I play the opening as black, albeit not this exact setup) and personal enjoyment; any game between the likes of PK and AA is gold

[Event "Margate SN"]
    [Site "Margate SN"]
    [Date "1937.??.??"]
    [Round "0.82"]
    [White "Paul Keres"]
    [Black "Alexander Alekhine"]
    [Result "1-0"]
    [WhiteElo "?"]
    [BlackElo "?"]
    [ECO "C71"]
    [EventDate "?"]
    [PlyCount "45"]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 d6
    {Ruy Lopez, Modern Steinitz Defense. Known also as 'the defense of champions'. There are specific responses to a few lines: Marshall's f5 variation against 5.c3 known as the Siësta variation, against 5.O-O popularized by Fischer there is Bg4. The failsafe is the 'system' laid out by, among others, Paul Keres, who ironically has the white pieces in this game. Black will play Bd7-g6-Bg7 and tries to hold the center closed. The king knight is a problem piece, on e7 it can clog everybody up. On f6 it makes black's game passive.}
    5.c4
    {Duras Variation, old-fashioned these days. So much so that I almost never see it. It makes more sense to balanced GMs, who also play 1.d4 than the 1.e4-purists I tend to meet over the board. A very principled line, though there are tricks for black that equalize.}
    5... Bd7 6.Nc3
    {6.O-O is also a distinct possibility. At first glance, the significance of 6.Nc3 prior to O-O isn't clear. It is however an entirely different road for GMs, a subtle difference most amateurs including me will miss.}
    6... g6 7.d4
    {This is the difference. While O-O is perfectly fine, it is not as expedient as the center attack. If black is offered time, he'll set up his little fortress and have a good game with an f5 counter. If white can tie black up long enough, he will have a good advantage, if not he has nothing.}
    7... Bg7
    {7... exd4 is possible as well. Normally it's admitting failure, but it may be better than sticking to the plan in my opinion.}
    8.Be3
    {Passive: 8.Bg5 is critical; 8.Bg5 f6 9.Be3 is very tough on black.}
    8... Nf6
    {A slight error in my opinion. 8... exd4 would trade under favourable conditions for black entering another line.}
    9.dxe5
    {Worth considering was 9.d5 Ne7 10.Bxd7+ Qxd7. Under normal circumstances, this is wrong, but the knight is misplaced on f6.}
    9... dxe5
    {Why black didn't opt for Nxe5 offering a double piece trade I'll never know. 9... Nxe5 10.Nxe5 dxe5 11.Bxd7+ Qxd7 12.Qb3 looks safer for black.}
    10.Bc5
    {! Keres' finger on the sore spot. Black's center is unimpressive. In my opinion 10... b6 11.Ba3 Bf8 12.Bxf8 Kxf8 13.O-O Kg7 is best. Why b6? Well it's a helpful pawn advance and minor improvement over 10... Bf8 11.Bxf8 Kxf8 12.O-O Kg7.}

10... Nh5
    {Alekhine continuing with business as usual. This is why I don't like Nf6. Black is almost always forced to fiddle the knight to h5 and back somewhere. This cure to Nge7 ends up being worse than the disease.}
    11.Nd5 Nf4
    {Black can't play this if white can immediately capture the knight. Alexander the Great crossing the desert..}
    12.Nxf4 exf4 13.e5
    {13.Qb3 is a messy move aiming to take over the queenside. Keres wants the center however, that works too. There's a strong continuation that Alekhine missed for near-equality: 13... Nxe5 14.Qe2 Bxa4 15.Nxe5 f3! 16.Nxf3+ Kd7! 17.O-O Re8.}
    13... g5
    {That's one heck of a concession. Maybe Alekhine thought he could get away with a King's Gambit kind of thing. He can't though, white is far too active.}
    14.Qd5 Bf8 15.Bxf8 Rxf8 16.0-0-0
    {Case in point.}
    16... Qe7 17.Bxc6 Bxc6 18.Qd3 Bd7 19.Nxg5
    {19.Qd4 is best, centralizing. Keres grabs a pawn instead and hopes Alekhine will crumble anyway.}
    19... 0-0-0 20.Nf3 f6
    {Suicidal. Be6, Rg8 anything but this.}
    21.exf6 Rxf6
    {Trying to lift the rook into play to defend, very GM-like, unfortunately Qxf6 was better.}
    22.Rhe1 Qb4 23.Qxd7+ 1-0
    {Whoops! This shortens Alekhine's loss by some 40 moves.}

Game without annotations below:
     click to show
    Last edited by Perseus; 08-19-2012, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    He was something else!

Leave a comment:

• libertyjack
    replied
    Just bought Alekhine's book '200 chess games'. Looks amazing. I think Alekhine gonna become my chess hero as well.

Leave a comment:

• JacksonWShowalter
    replied
    Here’s a miniature by the brilliant attacking Yugoslav player Andrija Fuderer who died last year.
    Andrija Fuderer, a gifted player and all-round talent, has died aged 80 | Sport | The Guardian
    A tribute from his son: Fuderer

Fuderer,Andrija - Porreca,Giorgio [B03]
    Zagreb Zagreb (6), 1955
    1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.c4 Nb6 5.f4 dxe5 6.fxe5 Nc6 7.Be3 Bf5 8.Nf3 e6 9.Be2 Be7 10.0–0 f6 11.Nc3 Qd7 12.a4 a5 13.Rc1 fxe5? 14.d5 Nd4 15.Nxe5 Nxe2+ 16.Qxe2 Qd6 17.Bd4 c5 18.Nb5 1–0

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    Haha, so interesting! Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• JacksonWShowalter
    replied
    Edward Winter…(the) 15-move game against Tenner … is well known to be spurious. Also from Winter:
    Alekhine’s writings occasionally ‘improved on’ the moves he had played, and five games where there are grounds for, at the very least, suspecting such score-tampering are listed below:
    • Alekhine v O. Tenner in Cologne. See page 54 of Alexander Alekhine’s Chess Games, 1902-1946 by L.M. Skinner and R.G.P. Verhoeven (Jefferson, 1998).
    • The so-called five queens game against N. Grigoriev, Moscow, 1915. It was the subject of a superb chapter (pages 54-66) in Chess Curiosities by Tim Krabbé (London, 1985).
    • A. Evenssohn v Alekhine, Kiev, 1916. See pages 176-177 of Chess Explorations.
    • Alekhine v Feldt, Tarnopol, 1916. The game was discussed in C.N.s 783, 1191 and 1360. See also pages 120-121 of the Skinner/Verhoeven book.
    • Alekhine v A. Frieman (Freeman, according to Alekhine), New York, 1924. See pages 17-18 of Chess Explorations.
    The real game (with a comment from Malbase) is here: Alexander Alekhine vs Oscar Tenner (1911)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X