Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

○ The Alekhine Game Thread ○

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ○ The Alekhine Game Thread ○

I figured I'd create a thread in which I can fly over and paste awesome Alekhine games as I come across them. As most of you know, he's my favorite player of all time. However, so that we start off fair to the other masters (ha!), I'll make the very first game submitted in here an odd-looking draw.

I feel this is a great game to start with because it is very indicative of Alekhine's play style -- WACKY and off-beat. Check his one-off way of handling this Sicilian:

[Event "JUG tour sim"]
    [Site "Ljubljana/Novi Sad/Zagreb"]
    [Date "1930.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Alekhine, Alexander"]
    [Black "Filipcic, Branko"]
    [Result "1/2-1/2"]
    [ECO "B20"]

1. e4 c5 2. b4 e6 3. bxc5 Bxc5 4. d4 Be7 5. Bb2 Nf6 6. Bd3 Nc6 7. Ne2 Nb4 8. O-O
    Qb6 9. Nbc3 Nxd3 10. Qxd3 a6 11. Rab1 d5 12. Nf4 dxe4 13. Nxe4 Qc7 14. Qf3 Qxc2
    15. Nxf6+ gxf6 16. d5 Qf5 17. dxe6 fxe6 18. Qg3 Bd6 19. Qg7 Rf8 20. g3 Rf7 21.
    Qg8+ 1/2-1/2
    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Today's Alekhine: How to bust up a patzer with only two pieces and after a bunch of sacrifices. It's games like these that make Alekhine's earlier games very exciting to see.

[Event "Paris"]
    [Site "Paris"]
    [Date "1913.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [White "Rodzinski"]
    [Black "Alekhine, Alexander"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "C50"]
    [PlyCount "30"]
    [EventDate "1913.??.??"]

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 d6 3. Bc4 Nc6 4. c3 Bg4 5. Qb3 Qd7 6. Ng5 Nh6 7. Bxf7+ Nxf7 8.
    Nxf7 Qxf7 9. Qxb7 Kd7 10. Qxa8 Qc4 11. f3 Bxf3 12. gxf3 Nd4 13. d3 Qxd3 14.
    cxd4 Be7 15. Qxh8 Bh4# 0-1

Comment

Just happened across another beauty. Check this maneuvering and attack out!

[Event "Moscow"]
      [Site "Moscow"]
      [Date "1915.??.??"]
      [Round "?"]
      [Black "Zubarev, Nikolay"]
      [Result "1-0"]
      [ECO "E32"]
      [PlyCount "52"]
      [EventDate "1915.??.??"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qc2 b6 5. e4 Bb7 6. Bd3 Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 d6 8.
      Ne2 Nbd7 9. O-O O-O 10. f4 h6 11. Ng3 Qe7 12. Qe2 Rae8 13. Ba3 c5 14. Rae1 Kh8
      15. d5 Ng8 16. e5 g6 17. Qd2 exd5 18. cxd5 dxe5 19. c4 Kh7 20. Bb2 Ngf6 21.
      fxe5 Ng4 22. e6 Qh4 23. Rxf7+ Rxf7 24. Bxg6+ Kxg6 25. Qd3+ Kg5 26. Bc1+ 1-0

Mate is coming, along with a huge loss of material for black.

Comment

Found this gem just now. WOW.

(542) Alekhine,Alexander - NN [C01]
        Paris sim Paris, 1925
        1.d4 d5 2.e4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.exd5 exd5 5.Bg5 Be7 6.Bd3 Nc6 7.Nge2 Be6 8.f4 Ng4 9.Bxe7 Nxe7 10.Qd2 f5 11.Ng3 Nf6 12.0–0–0 Ne4 13.Bxe4 fxe4 14.h3 c6 15.Rdf1 g6 16.Nd1 Qc7 17.Ne2 0–0–0 18.Ne3 Rhf8 19.Kb1 Kb8 20.Rc1 Qd7 21.Rhf1 c5 22.dxc5 d4 23.Ng4 Qa4 24.b3 Qd7 25.Ne5 Qd5 26.Rfd1 Qxc5 27.Nxd4 Nd5 28.Nxe6 Nc3+ 29.Ka1 Rxd2 30.Nxc5 Rxd1 31.Rxd1 Nxd1 32.Ncd7+ 1–0

Comment

Cool idea. Hopefully soon I will have time to look at this in detail.
          I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

Yea, I figured it would be neat to showcase his best games in one place, as I find them.

Comment

Here's a cute miniature:

[Event "Bradley Beach"]
              [Site "Bradley Beach"]
              [Date "1929.??.??"]
              [Round "5"]
              [Black "Cintron, Rafael"]
              [Result "1-0"]
              [ECO "D61"]
              [PlyCount "37"]
              [EventDate "1929.??.??"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Bg5 Nbd7 5. e3 Be7 6. Bd3 a6 7. cxd5 exd5 8.
              Nf3 O-O 9. Qc2 h6 10. Bf4 c6 11. h3 Ne8 12. h4 Ndf6 13. Ng5 Bd6 14. Be5 hxg5
              15. hxg5 Ne4 16. Nxe4 dxe4 17. Bxe4 f5 18. Qc4+ Rf7 19. g6 1-0

Comment

The site, Jewish Chess History, gives this game taken from Moshe Czerniak's notebook who recorded the game he played in a simultaneous against the then-world champion, Alekhine. As far as has been determined it has not been published before. The game is given with Czerniak’s notes on the site.

Alekhine,A. - Czerniak,M.
                Warsaw Simul, 1928
                1.d4 e6 2.c4 Nf6 3.Nc3 d5 4.Bg5 Be7 5.e3 c6 6.Nf3 Nbd7 7.Qc2 0–0 8.Rd1 Re8 9.a3 Nf8 10.Bd3 Qc7 11.0–0 Ng6 12.Rfe1 dxc4 13.Bxc4 h6 14.Bxf6 Bxf6 15.Ne4 Be7 16.Ba2 b6 17.Ng3 Bd7 18.Ne5 Nxe5 19.dxe5 Rad8 20.f4 c5 21.Rd2 Bc6 22.Red1 Rxd2 23.Rxd2 Rd8 24.Bb1 g6 25.Ba2 Rxd2 26.Qxd2 Qd8 27.Qc2 Qd7 28.h3 Bb5 29.Bb1 c4 30.Ne4 Qd3 31.Qc1 Qd7 32.Kh2 Kg7 33.Nd6 Bxd6 34.exd6 Qxd6 35.Qc3+ f6 36.Be4 e5 37.a4 Bxa4 38.Qxc4 b5 39.Qc8 Qe7 40.Bd5 f5 41.Qg8+ Kf6 42.Qh8+ 1–0
                The Hoppers

Comment

In case anybody is interested, you can stay at Alekhine’s chateau in St Aubin-Le-Cauf, France. It is owned by Agnès and Jean-Pierre Bosselin.
                  La Chatellenie chambres d'hotes, salle réception
                  The Hoppers

Comment

Alekhine indicated that he played over 50,000 chess games.
                    Most collections contain a few thousand, including postal,
                    demonstration, sims, and blindfolded games.
                    Alekhine played all over the World.

There is a book, Alekhine in Asia (pb).
                    In Physics one theory is the Alternate Universe.
                    Is there a Universe where an Alternate Alekhine is stilling playing. Maybe against an alternate Universe creation of Capablanca, Keres, or Botvinnik?

Comment

Today's miniature comes to us from 1911, the same year Browning designed the .45 pistol that lives in infamy. Also, an Alekhine quote from Bobby Fischer:

[Event "Cologne"]
                      [Site "Cologne"]
                      [Date "1911.??.??"]
                      [Round "?"]
                      [Black "Tenner, Oscar"]
                      [Result "1-0"]
                      [ECO "C30"]
                      [PlyCount "29"]
                      [EventDate "1911.??.??"]

1. e4 e5 2. Bc4 Nf6 3. d3 Bc5 4. Nc3 d6 5. f4 Nc6 6. Nf3 Bg4 7. Na4 exf4 8.
                      Nxc5 dxc5 9. Bxf4 Nh5 10. Be3 Ne5 11. Nxe5 Bxd1 12. Bxf7+ Ke7 13. Bxc5+ Kf6 14.
                      O-O+ Kxe5 15. Rf5# 1-0

"… Alekhine is a player I've never really understood. He always wanted a superior centre; he manoeuvred his pieces toward the kingside, and around the 25th move, began to mate his opponent. He disliked exchanges, preferring to play with many pieces on the board. His play was fantastically complicated, more so than any player before or since." ~ Bobby Fischer

Comment

Edward Winter…(the) 15-move game against Tenner … is well known to be spurious. Also from Winter:
                        Alekhine’s writings occasionally ‘improved on’ the moves he had played, and five games where there are grounds for, at the very least, suspecting such score-tampering are listed below:
                        • Alekhine v O. Tenner in Cologne. See page 54 of Alexander Alekhine’s Chess Games, 1902-1946 by L.M. Skinner and R.G.P. Verhoeven (Jefferson, 1998).
                        • The so-called five queens game against N. Grigoriev, Moscow, 1915. It was the subject of a superb chapter (pages 54-66) in Chess Curiosities by Tim Krabbé (London, 1985).
                        • A. Evenssohn v Alekhine, Kiev, 1916. See pages 176-177 of Chess Explorations.
                        • Alekhine v Feldt, Tarnopol, 1916. The game was discussed in C.N.s 783, 1191 and 1360. See also pages 120-121 of the Skinner/Verhoeven book.
                        • Alekhine v A. Frieman (Freeman, according to Alekhine), New York, 1924. See pages 17-18 of Chess Explorations.
                        The real game (with a comment from Malbase) is here: Alexander Alekhine vs Oscar Tenner (1911)
                        The Hoppers

Comment

Haha, so interesting! Thanks.

Comment

Here’s a miniature by the brilliant attacking Yugoslav player Andrija Fuderer who died last year.
                            Andrija Fuderer, a gifted player and all-round talent, has died aged 80 | Sport | The Guardian
                            A tribute from his son: Fuderer

Fuderer,Andrija - Porreca,Giorgio [B03]
                            Zagreb Zagreb (6), 1955
                            1.e4 Nf6 2.e5 Nd5 3.d4 d6 4.c4 Nb6 5.f4 dxe5 6.fxe5 Nc6 7.Be3 Bf5 8.Nf3 e6 9.Be2 Be7 10.0–0 f6 11.Nc3 Qd7 12.a4 a5 13.Rc1 fxe5? 14.d5 Nd4 15.Nxe5 Nxe2+ 16.Qxe2 Qd6 17.Bd4 c5 18.Nb5 1–0
                            The Hoppers

Comment

Just bought Alekhine's book '200 chess games'. Looks amazing. I think Alekhine gonna become my chess hero as well.
                              OTB rating: 1773

Comment

Working...
                              X