Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

A guy at the club really ticked me off this afternoon.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guy at the club really ticked me off this afternoon.

Last edited by pgmrdan; 05-04-2012, 01:09 AM.
    "Slow down and the world comes to you." A Cat in the Hat cartoon

Don't give up tactics because of age!
    You can still learn, play the openings you want! You'll learn while you play, why don't you try both?
    Try harder!

Comment

imo 1. e4 is the way to go. Positional play is usually not recommended for beginners - its something that more experienced players would have an easier time with.

If your a beginner then you probably want to concentrate on getting your pieces out and forming a solid center, and eventually forming an attack - the open game(1.e4) is a good way to do that. Look at Morphy's games.
      Opening Repertoire
      - White
      : Scotch Gambit , Belgrade Gambit, KIA, Blackmar-Diemer Gambit, Bc4 Alekine's
      - Black: Nimzowitsch defense(1...Nc6), the Black Knights Tango, Pseudo Dutch and KID

Comment

1. e4 makes more sense for a beginner. 1. d4 openings are much more complex and have subtle points that are beyond a beginner's understanding.
        USCF: 2248, High: 2295
        FIDE: 2193, High: 2229
        Games Left to Analyze: 9

Comment

Play what you want to play, you'll learn nothing if you're playing a style you don't like.
          Chess improvement blog

Melbourne Chess Club: Youtube Channel

MCC Website

Comment

I like off beat openings that are sound. Everyone and his dog learns 1.e4 lines, so you will find it difficult to really get an opening advantage with what everyone knows.

I really hated going against off beat openings and I've found that I really like playing them.

I play the Nimzo Larsen with the white pieces and the Qd6 Scandinavian against 1.e4. I usually play the KID against everything else. I think I'll look for something other than the KID to continue in my wanderings down roads less traveled.

Comment

IMO, if you don't know middle-game concepts you might find it hard to hold an opening 'advantage' for more than a few moves anyhow- so find a good "general" book and start working through it.
              Chess improvement blog

MCC Website

Comment

Youre never too old to learn any openings. Play what you want to play and are comfortable playing.
                Chess Sets and More
                http://www.chess-sets-and-more.com

Comment

Originally posted by pgmrdan
                  Pauly1515, I agree with you 100%.

I've been working on tactics and end games since the beginning of March. Recently I've also worked on opening principles and now want to work on a beginner's type opening repertoire.

I've been working on tactics, end games, and openings - in that order.
                  yep- a great idea if you're still improving (or u/1900) is to find a bunch of middle game books, pick out all the games from openings you're interested in, and go through the opening through middle game texts.

Way better than just learning the theory- you'll have to do the middle game stuff eventually anyway so why not!
                  Last edited by Pauly1515; 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM.
                  Chess improvement blog

MCC Website

Comment

Why not play both e4 and d4.
                    " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Tal was still playing (and winning) tactical games at 56, so obviously you can.

It takes a lot of energy to play top level chess, to focus on the board for hours at a time and not make a mistake. A lot of chess players peak out at age 40 because that's when their energy levels start declining (at least, that's what Kolchnoi claims). That's probably where your friend gets his idea.

If you can keep your energy levels up for the entire game, play tactical games (and beat the old geezer). Nothing to stop you unless you get tired, and even at that point it'd be preferable to take up jogging to improve your energy, instead of letting it affect your playing style.

Comment

Incidentally, you might consider that the old guy was encouraging you to play positional games because he was afraid he wouldn't be able to stand against you in open, tactical games.

Comment

That's total BS. Play what you like. Your chances of world champ are likely out the window anyhow haha. Have FUN! It's a game!
                          Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Originally posted by pgmrdan

That guy's game is declining to the point that he doesn't play in OTB tournaments any more, strictly correspondence tournaments. He plays OTB socially at the club and perhaps elsewhere.
                            Aw, poor guy. Tell him to take up jogging and eat more vegetables so he can keep up his energy levels. Kolchnoi still plays a mean game over the board, and he's older by more than a decade.

Comment

pgmrdan,

I'm around your age, and frankly don't understand what your older friend is thinking claiming d4 games are in any way easier than e4 games.

Tactical opportunities quite simply present themselves with e4 games, and they're not hard to discern, generally. Deeper thought provides deeper tactics, but in e4 games such opportunities, fully ripe or not, are basically hanging there waiting to be plucked.

d4 games, on the contrary, get exceedingly deep and murky and quite quickly, too.

I'm thinking your older friend's a bit confused if he is suggesting that e4 games are in any way more difficult. I actually find e4 games a refreshing vacation from d4 games in that the e4 is generally so straightforward by comparison.

There's good reasons Fischer preferred e4 games, not least of which, I think, is that they don't lead into that deep dark forest Tal spoke of as readily as d4 does. e4 is much more straightforward and rational, usually.
                              Last edited by Celadonite; 11-07-2010, 11:28 PM.
                              "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

Working...
                              X