Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

[SOLVED] Stalemate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SOLVED] Stalemate?

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to chess itself. I only started playing when another forum I frequent installed a chess game for members to use.

As a beginner, I'm confused by the following scenario, where I was playing as white:

Could someone explain to me why this is ruled a draw? I figured I had him well and truly beat! How can my opponent take as much away from this game as me, when I was so clearly in control? I'm not bitter (well maybe a little...), but I need to know what I did wrong to avoid pursuing the same strategy in future games.

Thanks for any help!

Those are just the rules. If it is your opponent's turn and he has no legal moves, then the game ends in a stalemate. The king is not allowed to move into check.
    Last edited by Eladar; 10-27-2008, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Indeed, it is just the rules of the game, if you leave your opponent with no legal move, it is a draw. I'd say the logic is that at that point you suffocated your opponent; he isn't moving, but you can't catch him at that point either. The game doesn't allow move passing, so yeah...

Another situation to be cautious about is when both players repeated the same moves 3 times respectively and subsequently. Hence the term 'stalemate', stale meaning lacking of freshness and mate means...well that's figurative D:.

To avoid it....hmm well, when you are up in material of simply almost taking away all of the monarch's liberties (squares he can move to), be sure to calculate it before making your moves. When I have THAT much material as you did, I mostly sacrifice one Rook to making things easier, if I am lazy to calculate. But that's just me.
      Last edited by Devotion; 09-21-2008, 03:08 AM.
      "Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, Final Fantasy Tactics

I tried to be perfect but nothing was worth it, I don't believe it makes me real...

This place is so empty, my thoughts are so tempting...

But it's the only thing that I have.

If you believe it's in my soul, I'll say all the words that I know; just to see if it would show, that I'm trying to let you know...

That I'm better off on my own.

Comment

Yea, basically the object of chess is to win, so if you leave your opponent NO moves, the rules assume you messed up somewhere and penalizes you by drawing hehe.

Looks like you played well, though!

I don't usually link to Wiki stuff, but this page actually covers the subject quite well!

Stalemate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps .
        Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Thanks folks, I think I understand now. So the objective is not to corner your opponent in a hole so he won't come out, but to catch him in the open and give him no place to hide.

Somehow I expect a lot of my games to still end in stalemate.

Comment

Well, if you calculate your moves slowly and carefully, it would not happen D:. But then, if you keep getting it, that means you should analyse those games to see how it occurs. Unless you are satisfied with a draw D:
            "Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, Final Fantasy Tactics

I tried to be perfect but nothing was worth it, I don't believe it makes me real...

This place is so empty, my thoughts are so tempting...

But it's the only thing that I have.

If you believe it's in my soul, I'll say all the words that I know; just to see if it would show, that I'm trying to let you know...

That I'm better off on my own.

Comment

I know, it's something I'll just have to keep in mind when strategizing. I'm still learning. I've just discovered how to castle, and my next mission is getting to grips with en passant. I'll get there slowly.

Comment

Stalemates can hurt, or they can be your salvation (when you're the other player.)

In this case, the king has no legal moves, because he is trapped. He cannot move into check, to a square that is threatened. But the king is not dead, just trapped. He is not being attacked by a check. In order to win the game, you have to kill the king without him having an escape, not just trap him.

One way to avoid it is to leave another piece on the board that can move. The king can be trapped but it isn't stalemate if your opponent has another piece somewhere that can move legally. You played a little too well, taking all his other pieces.

The risk of stalemate increases with multiple queens on the board. A queen and a rook is more than enough muscle to trap and kill a squirmy king, without as much risk of stalemate.

Comment

Originally posted by PUPcamper View Post
                  One way to avoid it is to leave another piece on the board that can move. The king can be trapped but it isn't stalemate if your opponent has another piece somewhere that can move legally. You played a little too well, taking all his other pieces.
                  He had a sole surviving pawn that was posing no threat, but I hunted it down anyway. That'll teach me for being ruthless.

Comment

Originally posted by PUPcamper View Post
                    So...total annihilation is out of the question? THAT'S why I'm getting so many draws

Comment

Working...
                    X