Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

5 minutes Blitz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 minutes Blitz

Would it be beneficial for a beginner to play a lot of blitz games with different openings? To what extent is it beneficial?
    "Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, Final Fantasy Tactics

I tried to be perfect but nothing was worth it, I don't believe it makes me real...

This place is so empty, my thoughts are so tempting...

But it's the only thing that I have.

If you believe it's in my soul, I'll say all the words that I know; just to see if it would show, that I'm trying to let you know...

That I'm better off on my own.

In order to improve, you need to play a lot of fast games AND a lot of slow games. And by slow games, I don't mean games with a slow time control, but you still move fast. You need to stop and really analyze on every move to get good at it. But playing blitz to expose yourself to lots of positions, and to get better at spotting things quickly, is also good practice.

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

I don't like 5 minute games. I prefer 10 minute games. I've found that if games actually go into the end-game then 5 minute games run out of time. Therefore the game goes to the person who moves faster as opposed to the one that makes better decisions.

It seems to me that moving too fast without giving the board a proper inspection is one of the downfalls for beginners. Playing games with too little time just makes it harder to break the bad habit of leaping before you give the board a good overall look.

Comment

Blitz can be great for training. Alot of intermediate players only play each other in Blitz which is why they learn very little.

I have personally watched GM Akobian win 30 games in a row at 1 minute to 5 minute time odds against 2000+ rated players. (One player actually lasted 51 seconds against GM Akobian. )

The point being: When your knowledge reaches a certain point, the moves become more reflexive, including tactical considerations. Though this does not occur without many hours of practice.

For an absolute beginner, I recommend playing zero games, just study. Casual blitz will teach a beginner almost nothing. And OTB Tournament play will offer only devastation, compared to self study, or hiring a trainer.

Good fundamental knowledge? Now it's time to climb into the ring to gain the experience for which there is no replacement...
        http://www.planetchess.org
        http://www.tacbase.com
        http://www.akobian.com

"Players who fail to study tactics systematically tend to suffer from tactical blind-spots that plague them throughout their playing career, and thus they fail to realize their full potential." GM John Nunn.
        Chess is 99 percent tactics. - Teichmann
        Chess is 99% tactics - Alexei Shirov
        "I absolutely agree with the well-known maxim: 'Chess is 99% tactics." GM Susan Polgar

Comment

A beginner should STAY AWAY from blitz entirely. No way to understand tactical and positional nuances in quick games unless, like was mentioned, there is massive experience involved. I suggest slower games, 45 min to 60 min games. Just my opine.
          Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Originally posted by Skwerly View Post
            A beginner should STAY AWAY from blitz entirely. No way to understand tactical and positional nuances in quick games unless, like was mentioned, there is massive experience involved. I suggest slower games, 45 min to 60 min games. Just my opine.
            Stay away, yes. Entirely, no. Some experience in blitz here and there is helpful at any level.
            Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
            Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
            Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
            Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
            Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
            Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
            Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
            --Red Dwarf

Comment

Originally posted by Eladar View Post
              I don't like 5 minute games. I prefer 10 minute games. I've found that if games actually go into the end-game then 5 minute games run out of time. Therefore the game goes to the person who moves faster as opposed to the one that makes better decisions.
              If you get into an endgame in blitz, either you or your opponent has done something wrong.

I think blitz is a great tool for helping work out your opening repertoire. You get a lot of exposure to the type of positions in each variation you play. Secondly, if you play slowly in in normal games, and get into time-trouble, your blitz ability will help you in those situations. As long as you don't start playing fast when you don't need to in slower games, it can help you improve your play.

Comment

As I said earlier, playing some blitz is a mandatory part of any improvement plan. So is playing slow games regularly. This really isn't optional.

I would say that playing blitz with a delay or increment is better than just 5 minute blitz, though. That way, the clock keeps you moving quickly, but you won't lose in an easily won position just because you run out of time.

And I disagree with Octal that endgames shouldn't happen in blitz. He seems to be assuming that all blitz is based on trying risky lines that'll lead to quick wins or losses. Why? You can play solid lines that lead to slow, positional maneuvering and an eventual endgame, just at a faster time control. After all, if you don't play the same stuff in your blitz games as your slow games, then what are you learning?

--Fromper

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

Originally posted by Fromper View Post
                  As I said earlier, playing some blitz is a mandatory part of any improvement plan. So is playing slow games regularly. This really isn't optional.

I would say that playing blitz with a delay or increment is better than just 5 minute blitz, though. That way, the clock keeps you moving quickly, but you won't lose in an easily won position just because you run out of time.

And I disagree with Octal that endgames shouldn't happen in blitz. He seems to be assuming that all blitz is based on trying risky lines that'll lead to quick wins or losses. Why? You can play solid lines that lead to slow, positional maneuvering and an eventual endgame, just at a faster time control. After all, if you don't play the same stuff in your blitz games as your slow games, then what are you learning?

--Fromper
                  Exactly. I rarely play 5min chess, or 10min chess for that matter. More popular around here are 3 8, 2 12 and 1 20, but that's OTB.

Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
                  Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
                  --Red Dwarf

Comment

Originally posted by Perseus View Post
                    Exactly. I rarely play 5min chess, or 10min chess for that matter. More popular around here are 3 8, 2 12 and 1 20, but that's OTB.
                    For me, it's mostly 5 5 or 10 5 on FICS, which is slow for blitz, but still pretty fast for a lousy blitzer like me. I prefer sticking to 5 second increments, because there's usually a 5 second delay in my slow USCF tourney games, so it's good practice for when I get into time trouble in those OTB tournies.

This Friday, I'll be playing in a 5 minute blitz (no delay/increment) side event at the Florida State Championship, and I'm expecting to get clobbered. I figure it's a good way to help flesh out my opening repertoire before the main event, since the blitz side event is the night before the main slow event starts. I'll be happy if I win even 1 or 2 games out of 7.

--Fromper

Comment

For me, it's mostly 5 5 or 10 5 on FICS, which is slow for blitz, but still pretty fast for a lousy blitzer like me. I prefer sticking to 5 second increments, because there's usually a 5 second delay in my slow USCF tourney games, so it's good practice for when I get into time trouble in those OTB tournies.

This Friday, I'll be playing in a 5 minute blitz (no delay/increment) side event at the Florida State Championship, and I'm expecting to get clobbered. I figure it's a good way to help flesh out my opening repertoire before the main event, since the blitz side event is the night before the main slow event starts. I'll be happy if I win even 1 or 2 games out of 7.

--Fromper
                      Frankly, I prefer playing time controls like 5 5 and 10 5, but nobody here seems interested in it. :/

--Red Dwarf

Comment

If you get into an endgame in blitz, either you or your opponent has done something wrong.
                        Why? Do you assume that someone must blunder in a blitz?

Comment

Thanks guys, I now know what to do about blitz games. If there's any info i should know, then go ahead . Thanks again for the input.
                          "Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, Final Fantasy Tactics

I tried to be perfect but nothing was worth it, I don't believe it makes me real...

This place is so empty, my thoughts are so tempting...

But it's the only thing that I have.

If you believe it's in my soul, I'll say all the words that I know; just to see if it would show, that I'm trying to let you know...

That I'm better off on my own.

Comment

--Fromper
                            I'm not quite sure how to respond to this, so I'm just going to throw you a mess of disorganized thoughts:

About 75% of the time when I play blitz I play the openings I would play in slow games.
                            Sacrifices are taken more often then not in blitz.
                            Blitz is about 5% positional consideration, 70% tactics, and 25% intuition.
                            Attacks just seem to happen so much more often.
                            If you where to annotate U2000 rated blitz games, you could probably attach a question mark to about half of the moves.

Anyway, I was being half serious when I said that, although I still think it is a valid point.

Comment

There is nothing wrong playing blitz game, i think it can help you calculate faster, but you should also play lots of long games.
                              " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Working...
                              X