Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

The death box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death box

Sometimes when they castle early I find it attractive to sacrifice a bishop to open up their King, especially if they've boxed themselves in nicely. I call this situation "the death box"

Here I'm black so Bh3. I think I'm being clever here (always a warning signal) because after

12.gxh3 Qxh3

I completely overlook 13.Nxd6!

Plan foiled. Oh well, I manage to hold it together...

Rxd6 14.Bf3 f5 15.Bg2 Rg6 0-1

Got lucky.

The death box backfires more often than it works for me, but I still try it when I can...
    ChessForums proprietor and webmeister
    Read my blog at http://www.markable.com

thinking about it, the whole reason this tends to work (when it does) relies on either their knight (typically at f3 or c3) being out of position, or else you have a plan to take it out/exchange for it. Otherwise it makes it very difficult to get in there.

Comment

Yea, when the N isn't there, sacs are in the air!
      Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Stuntpope:
        Can you find a better defense for white than 14. Bf3?

One of the general rules that I hear Kasparov spout a lot (because for some reason he likes to pretend he doesn't calculate) is piece counting. After 13. Nxd6 Rxd6 you have two attackers, the Queen on h3 and the Rook on d6 (which isn't yet in play), and how many defenders does white have? He has the h/f pawn (sometimes they block the White King's escape though), the Bishop on e2, the Rook on f1 and the Queen on d1. White has more defenders than you have attackers, by a general principle he should be able to defend.

Comment

Well. I think that instead of the 'overlooked' 13.Nxd6+ the move 13.Bg4+! is even more overlooked netting the black queen on h3.

Perhaps the death of this death-box, eh?
          There are only three kinds of chessplayers: Those who can count and those who cannot.

Comment

I removed that attachment as I'm not entirely sure what it was (sorry, slightly paraniod) - it was asking me to activate java.

Comment

Hi. Yesterday, I got back into Chess after taking a break for almost 4 months. Feeling like talking about it, I checked this site and saw this thread.

Judging from the first post here, StuntPope is a far better Chess player than I am... but still, it IS the Beginner's Corner forum. And that post reminded me of a humbling experience I had once.

I used to love to sacrifice a minor piece for the g-pawn, after my opponent castles kingside. It was the only way I would ever deliberately sacrifice material. But it seems like so long since I found myself in a position in which that was a good move.

I remember playing a co-worker two years ago. He trounced me eight times out of eight. The seventh such time, I tried for the g-pawn, failing to see my opponent's far greater threat.

EDIT: Okay, my PGN wasn't working for some reason, so I deleted my message (because I couldn't see a way to delete the attachment) and re-posted, this time with the game in simple plaintext:

[Event "Black Dalek vs co-worker"]
              [Site "The workplace's cafeteria"]
              [Date "2014.01.14"]
              [Round "7"]
              [White "Black Dalek"]
              [Black "A co-worker"]
              [Result "0-1"]

1. e4 g6 2. d4 Bg7 3. Nf3 d6 4. c3 Nf6 5. e5 dxe5 6. Nxe5 Be6 7. Bf4 Nh5 8. Nd3 O-O 9. Be2 Nxf4 10. Nxf4 Bf5 11. Bf3 c6 12. Nd2 e5 13. dxe5 Bxe5 14. Ne2 Nd7 15. O-O Re8 16. Nb3 Qc7 17. g3 Rad8 18. Re1 Nf6 19. Qc1 c5 20. Qg5 b6 21. Rad1 Rxd1 22. Rxd1 Qc8 23. Nf4 Ne4 24. Bxe4 Bxe4 25. Re1 f6 26. Qh6 Bb7 27. Nxg6

{That blunder cost me the game. I was expecting 27... hxg6 or maybe 27... Qg4.}

Qc6

{D'oh! I should have played a safer 27. Ng2.}

28. Qf8+ Rxf8 29. Ne7+ Kf7 30. Nxc6 Bxc6 31. Nd2 Rd8 32. Nc4 Bc7 33. Ne3 Rd2 34. Nc4 Rc2 35. Rb1 Be4 36. Rd1 Kg6 37. a3 b5 0-1
              Last edited by Black Dalek; 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X