Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Need recommendation for book on openings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need recommendation for book on openings

I'm a relative beginner and have gone through Seirawan's book on tactics several times. When I play, I sometimes get stuck on how to respond to different openings, and I'm at a disadvantage right from the beginning. So the next thing I want to do is study openings. Please recommend a book on openings for someone at my level.

Get the basics down:

Central control

A bit of hypermodern study

The basic ‘gambit’ openings, like queen’s gambit and probably king’s gambit.

Don’t attack with two pieces right from get go.

Formulate a plan and stick with it until said plan becomes impossible. Then form a new one.

As far as openings, I do videos not books for the most part, so I’m no good for ya there.
    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Opening Books are not the way to go.
      Follow the Soviet method or so they say and study endgames.
      If you need a Opening Book get Fine's dated but still good How to Play to Openings. Every move is explained. There are free PDF copies on the Web.
      (Alekhine- Do not copy moves that Grand Masters play. Rather know the why of each move).

Comment

If you have to get an opening book, the Everyman series is real good. I have a blue one, I think it’s *basic opening principles* or some such. At any rate, it’s from the Everyman chess series.

Comment

Just looked, it's this one:

Comment

Seirawan, openings, etc.

Originally posted by frausty View Post
            I'm a relative beginner and have gone through Seirawan's book on tactics several times. When I play, I sometimes get stuck on how to respond to different openings, and I'm at a disadvantage right from the beginning. So the next thing I want to do is study openings. Please recommend a book on openings for someone at my level.
            Coincidence, I just started the seirawan tactics. Got it used on Amazon fairly cheap. Join the club on getting stuck in openings. I spend too much time in opening and lose on time later on when maybe I have a possible win. Still, whatever opening I try to study, all these openings have dozens of lines. I'm just sticking now with long games when I get the chance to play and try to analyze my game soon after. Good luck anyway.

Comment

The Middlegame, Book 1: (Euwe/Kramer)

You will get the main ideas/plans of just about every major opening structure you will most likely encounter. Includes chapters on the Isolated Pawn, Minority Attack, Pawn Duos, etc.

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
              *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
              Perfect Your Chess
              Sharpen your Tactics
              The Middlegame, Book I
              ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

One thing I would recommend is to not try to learn all the openings. That's a mistake many beginners make and you'll spend all your available study on that one phase of the game and still not know them all.

A better approach, IMHO, is to pick one system to play as White, and as Black, one defense to e4 and one to d4. If you play that small repertoire all the time, you will learn the important ideas and tactical traps. Then you can spend the rest of your study time on other important aspects of the game - endgames, middlegames, tactics.

Later on when you're a stronger player, if you want to learn some additional openings, you can do that and you'll understand them more easily because you'll have a better feel for strategy and tactics. Good luck!
                Tactics is what you do when there is something to do; strategy is what you do when there is nothing to do.

Savielly Tartakower

Comment

For beginners I would recommend a classic chess text book by Richard Reti called "Masters of the Chessboard". This book explains the openings pretty good.
                  Chess Sets and More
                  http://www.chess-sets-and-more.com

Comment

I believe that the fundamental "book" to first consult is your board and pieces, via the process of "self-games": play each side of the board (white/black) by turns, making the best move you can conceive of for each side successively.

A good opening to begin this process with is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuoco_Piano

Self-games will cause you to learn to consider in "real" games not just your moves, but the moves of your opponent. Having played numerous self-games, you'll start to grok the whys and wherefores of the various moves...what your opponent's likely response is, and why it might be made and what effective answers to it are.

The Giuoco Piano is a good opening to begin this process with, as it's so fundamentally logical and basic, yet interesting and effective. When you begin to grok what's going on with it, what the themes that develop are, you'll find yourself noticing similiar trends/movements of pieces/pawns in other openings.

At a certain point, you'll find yourself capable of dealing more effectively with whatever opening occurs. You'll understand why the opponent makes the moves that he does. You'll be thinking a few moves ahead, and less likely to succumb to the Traps 'n' Zaps some openings contain within their play. (stuff that takes several moves to manifest from the beginning of its seemingly-innocent sequence).

There's a time and and place for books on openings, but I truthfully believe that the best way to begin learning the mechanics of what openings are is via self-games. And I believe that the Giuoco Piano is the sufficient opening to employ when beginning this process. When you start to grok it, you'll begin to naturally open up to learning other openings...they all share a similiar mechanics, tho' immediate goals in each may be slightly different. Still, any opening boils down to occupying and controlling space and impeding your opponent's development and spatial control while maintaining the safety of all of your chessmen.

Gain some self-experience playing the GP against yourself, begin grokking, and whatever opening book you choose to eventually acquire will make more sense to you when you begin studying it. You'll have some experience and realizations of your own to correlate with the teachings, and the author's words will speak to you more deeply because of that.
                    "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

I recommend you try Mastering the Chess Opening series by Watson. He covered well the strategic themes of different kinds of openings.
                      " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Here is a book that chosses one opening you play as white, one you play as black against 1.e4, and one you play as black against 1.d4, 1.c4, 1.Nf3.

Opening Systems for Competitive Chess Players: John Hall: 9781880673874: Amazon.com: Books

It was written in 1992, so it isn't cutting edge. Amazon has them used, for like $7.00. This would give you an opening repoirtoire. He uses the Torre Attack as white with 1.d4 2.Nf3 3.Bg5. Against 1.e4 he goes into the Caro Can, which is certainly a highly respected defense. Against 1.d4 etc, he chooses Tartakowers Legacy. There are 5 reviews of the book on Amazon.

I believe there is nothing in the book about the Torre Attack vs. the Dutch Defense. I have never had to face the Dutch in any game, let alone tournament games. Oddly, I have had to face the Bird's Opening (basically white plays the Dutch with a move in hand) like 3 times. So, a little thought would need to go into facing the Dutch. If you play the Torre, you will never have to face any Queen's Gambit Accepted or Declined, or the Budapest Gambit, Gruenfeld, Benko Gambit, and some others. The Torre uses a solid pawn structure of pawns on a2, b2, c3, d4, e3, f2, g2, h2. It's the same pawn structure used in the London System (which is closely related), and the Colle (not the Colle/Zukertort with a pawn on b3 and the c pawn on c2).

Any time you play a Queen's pawn opening and develope the c1 Bishop to, say, f4 (London System), or g5 (Torre Attack), there are a few things one needs to be aware of. For instance, if black play either c5 or c6, then he can swing the Queen to b6 attacking the undefended b2 pawn. Sometimes white can gambit the b pawn and gain time chasing the Queen around, and have a half open b file. But, the Torre is a solid opening that a person could play for life.

The good thing about this book is that you get a complete system, whether playing black or white, that you can use forever, or, if your tatse changes, you can drop one or more of these lines from the book, and switch to something else. Or, if you really like the Torre, you can buy another, more recent book that goes into more depth (the same for the Caro Can and the Tartakower I'm sure).

In my opinion (take with a grain of salt), if a player opens with 1.e4 as white, you must be ready to run a veritable gauntlet of defenses, many of which are not an easy study. You had better have something decent against the Sicilain, the French, Petroff's, Scandinavian, Modern, Pirc, 1....b6, 1....Nc6, the Latvian Gambit, Alekhine's Defense, and, don't forget, you'd better have your 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 opening figured out.

It seems to me to be a better situation when you play 1.d4. Especially if you play something other than the Queen's Gambit. That's why I like the Torre, the London System, and the Trompowski (and the 1.d4 d5 2.Bg5 opening). I also have played the Veresov.

But, for someone that is overwhelmed with the mindboggling array of openings and defenses, this book makes your basic choices, and gets you up and playing them. Many opening "system" books, give you openings only as white such as Attacking With 1.e4 by Emms. I like this book a lot, but then you need to get defenses, becasue this book only does the white side.

You can, of course, watch youtube videos about all the different openings, but, when I'm going to play in a tournamnet, I bring an analysis set and board, and my books on the openings and defenses I am playing.

The book I refer to on Amazon, and, say, a good book on tactics, an end game book, and one on pawn play and structures, and you could go a long way.

What a person needs is to be able to get into the middle game with at least an even position, few weaknesses, and a playable position.

Probably everyone on this forum will dissagree with one or more of the author's choices in the book I suggested. And noone, if they could choose their favorites, would choose these same systems. But, this is my suggestion, and I have a copy of this book. And no, mine's not for sale. I plan to take it with me to my next tournament in a few weeks.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you, and HAVE FUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by birdmove View Post
                          Probably everyone on this forum will dissagree with one or more of the author's choices in the book I suggested. And noone, if they could choose their favorites, would choose these same systems.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you, and HAVE FUN!!!
                          True. Everyone has their own individual way of approaching the opening. For me, I go backwards - I see what kind of endgame structure and common remaining pieces are left and try to know the main ideas for that particular ending. Then I move on to study the middlegame for proper piece placement, maneuvers, key squares and tactical shots. After I feel have gotten a good grasp of the middle and endgame ideas, I then move on to the opening. I stay mainline as it does not normally lose to early tactical shots.

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
                          *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
                          Perfect Your Chess
                          Sharpen your Tactics
                          The Middlegame, Book I
                          ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

Another suggestion might be two books. First, Eingorn's A Rock-Solid Chess Opening Repertoire for Black, and Attacking With 1.e4 by John Emms. The Emms book is from 2001, but his main line is 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4, the Bishops Opening. He then makes suggestions for most other defences against 1.e4. The Bishops Opening is a solid system. Eingorn's plan is 1....e6 no matter what white opens with. So, you'd be playing the French against 1.e4, and after 1.d4 e6, some white players may switch and decide to plat 2.d5 which puts black back into the French. Or 1.d4 e6 2.c4 then Bb4+ and into something more related to the Bogo-Indian and Nimzo-Indian.

One could do worse than the French Defence. My experience as a class C and B player is that, the advance French is the most common.

The Emms book gives you, along with the Bishop's Opening, the Closed Sicilain, King's Indian Attack against the French, 2.c4 against the Caro Can, the 150 attack for the Pirc and Modern, lines against the Scandinavian depending on what variation, Exc hange Variation vs. the Alekhine, and some odds and ends against more rare defenses.

As I mentioned above, if one wants to play 1.e4, then there is a lot to prepare for. I think the book I mention in my first post above would be a more practical way to get going with less study time on openings.
                            Last edited by birdmove; 03-07-2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

GM Bator Sambuev said "Never trust any opening book."

Beginners should try to follow the history of chess and at least in the beginning play the open games. As black 1.e4 e5 and 1.d4 d5 should be your first defenses. Later you can branch out and add other openings to your repertoire gradually. With all the databases and free material out there it is not too hard to create your own opening book using databases of grandmaster and master games using chessbase or SCID/chessdb as your database software.

Against 1.e4 I have played the Sicilian (5 different variations Najdorf, Kan, Sveshnikov, Dragon, Accelerated Dragon), the Scandinavian, the French and the open games (1.e4 e5) and even the modern or sniper as I try to remain a moving target for those who prepare for me.

Study annotated GM games. Chesspublishing.com is one excellent source. Chessbase.com is another excellent place to go for well annotated games. TWIC is great for recent unannotated games though I must confess that I don't go there as often as I used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X