Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

What is/was your first serious opening?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is/was your first serious opening?

Maybe you haven't progressed to the point of seriously studying an opening yet since as a beginner you shouldn't focus on openings.

Not as just the first few moves of a game, but what is/was the first opening you are studying or did study seriously?

Thanks.
    "Slow down and the world comes to you." A Cat in the Hat cartoon

When I first started I just played out of the books I had, with no concept of why I was making the moves. I spent time memorizing lines like crazy.

I used A Startling Open Repertoire as White (1. e4 with lots of gambit stuff etc), the Scandinavian (2..Nf6 Portuguese) as Black vs e4, and anything I felt like vs anything else.

Based purely on tactics and memorization I was able to get to the mid 1600s before I stopped playing for about 10 years.

Comment

Alekhine’s Defense. I know just about every line backward and forward because I studied it so intensively. I’ve given no other opening that sort of attention to date.

I’ve held my own OTB with it vs. candidate masters. Of course, I lose the games because of blunders after the opening, but that’s for another thread.
      Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

King's Gambit.

Followed by the Alekhine Defence and Dutch Defence.
        Have you read the Forum rules?

Queeg: Pawn to King Four. Holly: Horsie to King Bish Three.
        Rimmer: It's called a "knight," actually, Holly...
        Queeg: Knight to King Bishop three. Holly: Queen to Rook Eight. Checkmate.
        Queeg: That's an illegal move. Holly: Oh, sorry. Queens don't move like that. I was thinking of poker.
        Holly: Cleudo? You could be Colonel Mustard.
        Cat: If it's any help, I've been studying his tactics and there's a pattern emerging: Every time you make a move, he makes one too. *Winks to Holly*
        Holly: *Winks back* Thanks, Cat.
        --Red Dwarf

Comment

The Reti-Larsen Attack. I was deathly afraid of 1.e4 openings for either side. The key word being was. Now I am more aggressive, anything else other than 1.e4 won't do for me!

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
          *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
          Perfect Your Chess
          Sharpen your Tactics
          The Middlegame, Book I
          ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

I was told as a kid that moving the King's Pawn two spaces forward was the way to go when playing either side. Follow that up with one of your Knights, and castle quickly thereafter. That gave me enough mileage for a couple years, and I got to face alot of openings I didn't know the names of then. I know now that I got alot of experience with the Danish Gambit, and the Ruy, but didn't at the time realize that they even had a name. Most of the time, they weren't played right, either LOL

I don't truly recall the first opening I consciously studied, but I do believe it was the Ruy, when I borrowed a book from the school library, as an 11 or 12 yr. old.

No internet back then, and very little chess culture in my area of the backwoods. Even books were hard to come by--harder yet to understand, usually me and a school-pal poring over them, trying to decipher the words and the notation and getting it wrong more often as right.
            Last edited by Celadonite; 12-18-2013, 06:36 PM.
            "They work at the pace of amnesia."--M. Bloch

Comment

I am not too good. I lost it on my year break. However, I learned some patterns playing board games. They always seem to try to do the best "logical" moves in reply. So you can always eventually study and win. However, with people it is not always that way.

Comment

I think Spanish opening is what I have studied more, coz it just seems too logical. Centre control, pieces development, King's castling... All good principles in any opening, and it just lets you get ballistic quicker by getting safe first.
                Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Comment

Actually, when I got into competitive club play, I had some sort of a system for both white and black.

White:
                  London (3. Bf4) vs g6 systems
                  Torre (3. Bg5) vs e6 systems

Black:
                  French vs 1.e4
                  Tchigorin vs 1.d4

1.d4 d5 2.c4 Nc6 and incase I run into the BDG 1. d4 d5 2. e4 I have e6

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
                  *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
                  Perfect Your Chess
                  Sharpen your Tactics
                  The Middlegame, Book I
                  ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

First openings I studied in any real way was Colle as white and Sicilian Dragon as black against e4 and KID(King's Indian Defense) against d4.
                    With the KID, I picked up the book 'Play the KID with the read and play method' at the 1991 National High School Championships. Read the first chapter. Few weeks later I was playing in a G/20 OTB tournament against a 1700s(I was 1000s). Crushed him with a k-side attack in the Classical KID Mar del Plata and was hooked for years. Though I have since transitioned away to more QGD/Nimzo stuff.
                    Quit the Colle halfway thru the World Open in either 2001 or 2002 and have not played it since except for 1 blitz game 2-3 years ago.
                    Transitioned Sicilian Dragon to Accelerated Dragon 15 years ago and still play it almost exclusively.

Comment

I studied the Philidor as White because people would play this opening to me quite frequently.
                      Recently I have discovered the Nimzo-Indian defense as black and more particularly the d6-c5 setup that I enjoy very much playing.
                      Developer of Chess Trainer, a cool app for the Iphone

My blog
                      My twitter
                      Chess Trainer on facebook

Comment

e4,Qf3, Bc4 and a prayer
                        " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

When I started, I played the Giuoco Piano from both sides, but I didn't know any "book" moves beyond move 3, so it ended up being the quiet, boring lines most of the time. In other words, the stuff you usually see from timid scholastic beginners, but I was in my 20s at the time.

Then I bought the book "Action Chess: a 24 Hour Chess Repertoire" by CJS Purdy, which was really a collection of articles he wrote for a magazine recommending an easy to learn repertoire for the beginner. It recommended the Colle as white, the Rubenstein French as black against e4, and the "All Purpose System" for black against most everything else, which I believe is now known as the Tarkatower variation of the QGD. So basically, e6, d5, and c5 against everything as black.

Now that I know what I'm doing, I really regret following that repertoire. Playing quiet openings like that at 1300-1400 rating does absolutely nothing for your development as a player at that level. Playing wild, tactical openings will force you to learn tactics or die trying.

There were so many games where I felt I'd played well because it took my 1600+ opponents 60+ moves to beat me, but when I looked at the games afterward, I couldn't tell you why I lost. Material stayed even most of the game, until I just happened to end up with the slightly worse position in the late middle game or endgame, which cost me material and let my opponent win. I wasn't learning tactics enough to improve quickly, and the subtle, positional maneuvering and endgame mechanics were lost on me when studying the games by myself. Quick, bloody losses are far easier to learn from, because the mistakes are bigger and more obvious.

I actually ended up getting so frustrated from my lack of improvement that I stopped playing. When I returned nearly 4 years later, I switched to a "nothing but wild gambits" repertoire to force myself to learn tactics or die trying. My rating dropped from 1400 to 1300 before suddenly shooting up to 1500+ when I started to get a better feel for playing that way.

"Don't be afraid of ghosts! Always play the moves you want to play unless you see a genuine tactical drawback." --Grandmaster Neil McDonald

Comment

I don't remember what was my first opening, and at the time I didn't even know them. I know that everything was 1. e4 e5 at the beginning and it ended up being like this for quite some time. I also remember I thought I discovered Traxler Counterattack and Lativian Gambit .
                            Skype chess coaching? Send a message!
                            Ever heard of The Hook and Ladder trick? Please refer to the famous game by Andriej Hook and James Ladder.
                            Play as if you didn't understand chess. People always fear what they don't understand.

Comment

In the 60's no computers. The openings that were popular were the ones Fischer, Botvinnik, and Tal played. Fischer: 1. e4. Botvinnik and Tal: Caro Kann and French. Reinfeld wrote a book on the young Alekhine. How Alekhine learned which openings to play particularly from the Black side. If you studied Capablanca at the time, and a few of his books were in trade paper, you tried 1.d4.

Comment

Working...
                              X