Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Another opening I absolutely despise (Queens Gambit?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another opening I absolutely despise (Queens Gambit?)

Is this Queen's Gambit?

1.d4 d5
    2.c4

Pardon my french, but I just f****ing HATE this opening.

I see this, I am tempted to just resign right there because I always, always always get annihilated when I encounter it.

Lately I've been trying

2. - b6

and then everything pretty well starts falling apart soon after.
    ChessForums proprietor and webmeister
    Read my blog at http://www.markable.com

At low levels, a game is never lost in the opening. That's why good players can give piece odds as if they blundered a piece and still come back and win. If you can play a good endgame and spot tactical opportunities, there's no reason you would get annihilated just because you face a certain opening.

The best way to get comfortable facing an opening is to look how stronger players handle it. Go to Chessgames.com: Chess Games Database & Community and enter "Queen's Gambit" into opening field and "black wins" under result. Plug in your favorite player and go through a bunch of games.

One last thing, don't just give up and resign when you face positions you aren't comfortable in. Those are exactly the ones you should play through and learn from. Accept it as a valuable lesson rather than obsessing about winning every game. Every loss is a valuable teacher of your weaknesses that will increase your strength if you learn from them.
    Last edited by moocowmoocow; 10-27-2013, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Can you show us the games where you lost to the Queen's Gambit? There are many, many ways the game could go, so 1.d4 d5 2.c4 is not really telling us anything.

What moomoo milk means is that even though you may not make the best moves in the opening, you will not lose immediately, UNLESS you make tactical mistakes.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
      "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

I think why this opening is so intimidating for me is over time (maybe) is because it gets used by more experienced players so when I see it, psychologically I'm in the underdog frame of mind.

Accepting the gambit seems like a suckers bet to me, but apparently its not necessarily so. My latest development of 2. - b6 is to be able to deal with an eventual push of his pawn to c5, which always causes me trouble.

For me, once i get into the frazzled mindset I'm pretty well toast (this is the reason I had the Psychology of Chess board added here, it is all a mental game for me right now - I'll post more on that in the PoC board)
        ChessForums proprietor and webmeister
        Read my blog at http://www.markable.com

Comment

YouTube is your friend. Search for queen’s gambit’ on there and watch a few of the videos; it isn’t as bad as you think it is.
          Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

You don't have to accept the gambit. In fact, the QG is not a true gambit, because White can regain the pawn immediately.

I would simply play 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 or 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6.

I do not like 1.d4 d5 2.c4 b6 as much, because White can take on d5, then play e4, giving him large centre control.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
            "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

I'd recommend what Skwerly did: familiarize yourself with this opening as much as you can by watching some vids on it. Also look up Albin Counter Gambit and avoid playing hypermodern (willingly give up the centre and then attack it from the wings)
              Skype chess coaching? Send a message!
              Ever heard of The Hook and Ladder trick? Please refer to the famous game by Andriej Hook and James Ladder.
              Play as if you didn't understand chess. People always fear what they don't understand.

Comment

b6 can not be played against that opening.
                Suggestion: Go over Capablanca, and Rubinstein's games.
                The Queen's Gambit had its hey-day up to the 1920's, and early 30's.
                The reasoning involved is not the opening, but why moves are made.

Comment

Originally posted by Malbase View Post
                  b6 can not be played against that opening.
                  Suggestion: Go over Capablanca, and Rubinstein's games.
                  The Queen's Gambit had its hey-day up to the 1920's, and early 30's.
                  The reasoning involved is not the opening, but why moves are made.
                  Sure it can.. Just not very successfully at higher levels on move 2. But b6 can and has been played successfully in other positions spawning from later move orders. Maybe this is an incomplete comment?

Also? Queens gambits hey day is still going. It is currently the most popular opening, and some even try to avoid it. They say it is the "Opening for world champions".
                  I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

I believe in Alekhine vs. Capa, only one game wasn't 1. d4 from either side.
                    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

Hi Stuntpope,

the Queen's gambit is a solid, positional opening, and maybe that's why you don't like it. Standard moves in this opening are (often in this order)
                      d5
                      e6
                      Nf6
                      Be7
                      0-0

Then at this point you can start thinking about the next move. However it is true that black can get slowly squeezed.
                      If you feel like playing more actively, you can play other openings against 1.d4. Some examples:
                      1...c5 A Benoni setup. White will probably push d5 to get a space advantage, but Black gets some counter-chances.
                      1...f5 The Dutch opening, where Black usually launches a quick attach on the Kingside.
                      1...Nf6This flexible move gives you one more move to decide what you what to do. Could be a good idea.

hope it helps
                      Developer of Chess Trainer, a cool app for the Iphone

My blog
                      My twitter
                      Chess Trainer on facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X