Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Question and answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question and answer

Hi,

I was thinking lately. So I have this new computer and I have not tested my features to its fullest yet. And it got me thinking. Back in the day, I use to be interested in creating my own chess videos. I did an okay job doing them too. I got a few compliments, I got a few constructive criticism that equally gave me motivations to stay in the market for making them.

So I want to give anyone who believes they are a beginner to feel free to post a question of their choosing in the spirit of learning chess.

I am not famous, nor did I write a book.. (Yet!) So this isn't interview questions. It's questions you would like to see answered by someone who is "not" a beginner, and has a lot of experience training players. And would just like to see another video opinion. You can ask specific questions, or you can request analysis of games. Yours or request one of a player you are interested in learning from. It can be from anyone. Even someone popular here.

I am going to start doing it again on my own, and I would like practice. This would be a good way to start. So this idea has potential to help me. I will create it, upload it to either chessvideos.tv, or youtube, and post a link. Then we will go from there. If you enjoy the idea we can continue.

Lets see how many are interested. (BTW: You don't have to be a beginner, you can be anywhere from the E class (Beginner) to the A class (First category). Objectively since I am only 1950+ there is logic that I cannot give real advice to my own class. But anything under the A class is welcome.

Contrariwise: If you are at least a B class player and would like to participate in this idea as a trainer. And would like to know how to create videos. You can also let me know here.
    I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

I'm a novice!

Hmm...for starters..."How should I analyse my games, and how do I make use of my analyses?"
    Last edited by Rimuel V2; 09-10-2013, 04:55 AM.

"Blame yourself, or blame God." - Delita, FFT
    "Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world." - Joshua, TWEWY

Comment

I could participate as a trainer if you still need someone. I already know how to make video.

As for the questions: Would you be interested in having me as a sparring partner?
      Regards.
      Best chess lessons:http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/....php?id=1499_2
      My blog: http://attack-inchess.blogspot.ca/
      Looking for a chess coach?: http://attack-inchess.blogspot.ca/20...s-lessons.html

Comment

Originally posted by Alekhine2000 View Post
        Would you be interested in having me as a sparring partner?
        I would!
        Skype chess coaching? Send a message!
        Ever heard of The Hook and Ladder trick? Please refer to the famous game by Andriej Hook and James Ladder.
        Play as if you didn't understand chess. People always fear what they don't understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Alekhine2000 View Post
          I could participate as a trainer if you still need someone. I already know how to make video.

As for the questions: Would you be interested in having me as a sparring partner?
          I think that is a good idea. Are you thinking we play and then record the analysis?

Depending on the depth of the questions, we could do one or 10. Like Rimuel there. That could be a solo question, or a question that could be answered with two questions. I am thinking at most 10 questions at a time max depending on the interest level, and then we can assign to interested tutors. Thanks for showing interest Alekhine.

I am hoping we can see a growth in interest in this. Cause Video teaching could rise and replace email teaching.
          I am a proud supporter of the GM Igor Smirnov way of teaching. If you would like to see the system and want to try out his teaching methods please follow this link: http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/...?id=1517_2_3_1

If you have questions/want a tutor inquire with messages. I am going to rewrite my web page and it will also go here.

Comment

I would like to see/hear the actual thought processes of both sides during an actual game.

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
            *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
            Perfect Your Chess
            Sharpen your Tactics
            The Middlegame, Book I
            ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

Does the time control matter? Some people could get bored in an 8 hour game, and the games could get messy in blitz.

Comment

Well I thought we could be sparring partner to train ourselves. We could of course use our training session as educationnal material. We could maybe both livestream the game we're playing on a different stream. People could then see how we think during a game. An other option is to simply play a game and then post the analysis in a video. Since we're living in different areas it would be harder to analyse the game together. However there is probably a way do to so. Hope you know one. People could also give us idea., tell us what they'd like or if they'd like it at all. Maybe they'd find this boring since we are not famous players.

Time control doesn't matter for me. The only time control I hate is 1 or 2 minutes game. I hate bullet chess.
                Regards.
                Best chess lessons:http://chess-teacher.com/affiliates/....php?id=1499_2
                My blog: http://attack-inchess.blogspot.ca/
                Looking for a chess coach?: http://attack-inchess.blogspot.ca/20...s-lessons.html

Comment

I suggest a 10 0 time control if you want to answer Phoenix's question. It's not so fast that you have to talk like a bullet train, and it's not so slow that people will have to stare at the screen for minutes.

Keep in mind that Youtube may have a maximum time limitation if you are not a premium user. The last time I checked it was around 10-15 minutes.

@Alekhine: Who cares if you're not famous? What matters the most is whether you have substance or not, not your fame.

Comment

I see no point in ‘analyzing’ 10/0. Just play a longer time control and then both of you go over the game afterward using skype or something. Nobody in the audience wants to hear that someone blundered due to time pressure. Just play chess.
                    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

You COULD do long time controls, like 45 0 or more, but I don't think it's efficient if you give comments out loud during the game.

First, there's always a possibility that commenting out loud while playing will distract you, and make you think of and talk about things you don't usually do.

Second, there will likely be minutes of silence, as you complete your move and wait for your opponent.

Speaking out loud also slows down your calculation...and do you really want to let your viewers hear you calculate?

However, if you want to do a long game, it is still possible. You just have to record your thoughts during the game, and then after the game, load the game into your GUI and then start video recording, giving your comments and some calculations as you go through your moves.

This way, after you have completed your commentary on your move, you can immediately show your viewers what your opponent's move was. No need to wait. The video will also be MUCH shorter in length.

All in all, this would be more efficient, but it wouldn't strictly answer Phoenix's question, as your "thoughts" will be more trimmed and organised.

Comment

Update:

Per Rimuels request I attempted to record an example of how to analyse a chess game. The first take went fine and the video recorded because it was 20 seconds long. It was to test out the functions of the recording software. Then I did a real session and found out an important defect to my recording software in that it doesn't like video's are are over 2gb in size. The video was approximately 1 hour 20 min. Because I did a full analysis.

Because of this issue, I think I am going to plan a different topic based on the main topic where the video lasts between 20-30 minutes. See how that goes.. And then plan some sequel videos to cover loose ends.

Probably better this way because 1 hr and 20 min on chess is probably too long for most people anyway.

I will try to get it complete in the next day or two.

Comment

Let me guess...CamStudio?

You should probably use a silent countdown timer so that you don't go overtime.

My suggestion is to analyse like, the first 20-30 moves in the first video, and the remainder in a second video. For this purpose it may serve you well to choose games that are 40-60 moves long.

Comment

Working...
                          X