Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

#1's Thread

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GodJesusChristisnumberone
    started a topic #1's Thread

#1's Thread

Well, I had to do it... I broke my own record. I got the computer to draw by agreement with Queenie at 2780 Elo. I guess that makes me a Grandmaster on Chessmaster 10th Edition for the MacBook Pro (i7 2.7ghz duo core Intel) under Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (French to English 32-bit Edition)...

Did you miss me?

I still remember all my friends.

I will tell you a secret. The secret is to read each personality carefully and play a friendly game based upon what you learned. It might not happen right away, however, give it 8 years and you might win at that level forever!hehe

There are maybe 5 personalities are more that will accept a draw by agreement on the move after your 15th move! You just have to withstand it long enough to be able to offer it a draw and let it decide. Good luck and hope to see you next time friends#!!
    Last edited by Celadonite; 09-03-2012, 12:46 PM. Reason: Consolidating Multiple Sequential Posts

• Skwerly
    replied
    When I saw this thread in the 'new posts' list I was like:

Leave a comment:

• Perseus
    replied
    Please do not post religious content here, that's what got the OP of this thread banned for a year.

Leave a comment:

• INFINITE LIGHT
    replied
    <edited>

(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.[...]

Leave a comment:

• thedarkknight
    replied
    Ironically, the main task of chess software companies today is to find ways to make the program weaker, not stronger, and to provide enough options that any user can pick from different levels and the machine will try to make enough mistakes to give him a chance.
    - Garry Kasparov

Leave a comment:

• JustMe
    replied
    I have noticed that you obtain decisively winning games and then throw them away. I will recommend Fritz Technique Trainer and How to Turn Advantage into Victory in Chess as reading material for you, as these specifically focus on how to convert advantages into wins. Aagard and Lund's Right Decisions is a more general CD that focuses on endgame studies, pawn endgames, positions for calculations, and positions for playing against the computer, and this later portion is of particular interest for your purposes, although anyone could certainly improve with the other parts as well.

Leave a comment:

• JustMe
    replied
    Originally posted by GodJesusChristisnumberone View Post
    I am not that good. However, I figure all of you deserve an honest and straightforward answer while I have the time to write. Keep in mind that these are usually 5 minute per side games. So the computer has very little time to adjust. Anyways
    In game #4 4...Ne4 is premature, if they want to play an eventual ...f5 they should simply play the Dutch and start with anti-Dutch theory, especially the Staunton gambit, and they traded a piece they moved twice for the piece you just developed. Also, 7...Bd6?? is the blunder that handed you a won position as there was nothing in the position to justify gambiting. Also, why not simply take the knight at 9.exd7?

11.e4 would have gained free central space as it threatens to fork the queen and bishop. 11.Bd3 likewise would develop a piece and keep the black queen off g6 and that entire diagonal.

14.Bxd7+ is bad (though still winning, but not by as much as before since the pin keeps black's bishop bad and its knight immobile. If 13...a6 then 14.Bd3,b5 15.Be4,Rb8 16.a4,Bb7 17.Qc2 where white has excellent chances on the queenside. The black bishop must capture because if white captures at b7 then he has a fork with Qe4+ ) because it frees their bishop and gives up the pin on the knight. Besides, without your light squared bishop your light squares are terribly weak. Notice how 13...Qg6 was played to exploit said weaknesses in addition to provoking new weaknesses that playing a pawn to g3 would create.

14.Ke2,Qxg2 15.Qd5,Qg6 is still winning for white. Black is down two pawns and is horribly coordinated here.

17.Qxa7?? is simply pawn grabbing and threw away your winning advantage because the queen is no longer on the diagonal protecting the knight.

19.g3 digs yourself in deeper as black has 19...Qe4, exploiting white's weak light squares around the king. The queen on a5 and the open fifth rank with the open h5-e8 diagonal may prevent black from putting a bishop on h3 due to 20.Qh5+,g6 21.Qxh7,Bc6, but the bishop forms a battery with the queen along long diagonal anyways and still exploits the light square weaknesses. 22,Qh3 (to cover g2),Rf5 23.f3 and white gives up e3 with check and is clearly losing.

21.Qb4?? is technically resigning, as black can force mate in two.

Leave a comment:

replied
    haha - well... I just want to thank the one above first for internet through my neighbours wifi. Then, I would like to reply thanks to CookieMonster for the advice and by the way, my nose is growing longer everyday!! haha Also thanks to Skwerly for the clarification. And last but not least, thanks to Mr. C. for always being the joker. wink wink (hehe)

Leave a comment:

• CookieMonster
    replied
    To add my two cents. If you only play white and never play black you are only playing half the game. So I guess to become a "real chessplayer" you should do two things. 1. Play both colors equally. 2. Play humans. Otherwise you will stay a wooden puppet forever Pinocchio. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Skwerly
    replied
    Just for kicks: using the same opening over and over again in every game isn’t a repertoire. A repertoire is knowing a variety of openings, for *both* sides.

Leave a comment:

replied
    haha... I actually do have a repetoire........ however, I might try out some other lines when I get used to what I am opening with.

Well... if I do not get to check my email again... all the best as usual!

Leave a comment:

• Octal
    replied
    But the real question is: do you want a repertoire? Perhaps it is better to not have one.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Never mind... it is just my good luck side seeing I have been playing it for 8 months now and gotten used to a repetoire. hehe

Leave a comment:

• CookieMonster
    replied
    I don't understand the stupersticion.

Leave a comment:

• Perseus
    replied
    Originally posted by GodJesusChristisnumberone View Post
    My internet isn't really reliable... so I just keep it to talking and keeping with my friends when I can get online. My neighbours are kind enough to lend me their wifi... they just moved in. Anyways, I am enjoying my air-conditioned room. However, it gets lonely without people. So, it is nice that there are people who allow the wifi to be open here and there. Thanks for putting up with my quick posts. I will try to post when I can. If I do not have internet anymore, I even considered going shirtless and sweating. The only problem is my mother stays with me so that is rude. Anyways, better post this before my internet gets cut off again.
    Two words: correspondence chess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X