Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

Forum rules

(1) Posts are to be made in the relevant forum. Users are asked to read the forum descriptions before posting.
(2) Off topic posts are limited to active members who have actually posted on-topic in one of the chess-oriented sections in the past. Any user whose first post does not relate to chess will be banned permanently. Posts in the Introduction section do not count.
(3) Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Be tolerant at any time. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated.
(4) Discussions on political and religious topics are not allowed. Posts containing elements thereof will be redacted or deleted and a temporary or permanent ban may be placed upon the user.
Discussions on politics in chess organisations and the way politics affect chess are allowed.
(4a) Drug use references are not allowed and discussions on drugs are not allowed.
(5) Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators". If members have something to report they are welcome to bring it to the attention of moderator either by a PM or in this thread: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html
(6) If you wish to report a PM please forward the PM to a moderator and leave a post here: http://www.chessforums.org/forum-new...moderator.html. Don't hesitate to report a PM if you believe it violates the forum rules, even if someone else has already reported a (similar) PM by the same user; having more reports makes it easier for the moderators to take action.
(7) These rules apply to forum posts as well as private messages (PMs).
(8) Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons (smilies), large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
(9) Members should use an appropriate, descriptive title when posting a new topic. Examples of bad titles include; "Help me!", "I'm stuck!", "I've got an error!", etc. Examples of good titles include; "New Game: Perseus - SomeOtherPlayer", "Two Knights Defense: Fritz Variation and sidelines", etc.
(10) Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance.
(11) Continuously linking your own website to promote it is not allowed. You may use your signature (which will come up beneath all your posts) for this purpose.
(12) Members should refrain from posting without adding to the discussion. Posting just to increase postcount is not allowed.
(13) Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time. This can be done by clicking the 'edit' button next to your post.
If your last post, which is the last in the thread, is very old you may use the following trick to make sure it's bumped up to the new posts. Click on the 'edit' button of your last post. Copy the content of the post. Click delete and delete your last post. Paste the content of the now-deleted post in a new post, add what you will and click 'submit reply'.
(13a) You are not allowed to make consecutive posts. If you post more than once without a reply from another user, all posts after the first will be deleted.
(13b) Exceptions may be made for specific types of threads.
(14) Warez are intellectual property (software/music/movies/tv-series/tv-shows/etc) either through download, serial, or crack in a manner that breaks its copyright and/or license. You are not allowed to give/link to/ask for/advocate/provide information for obtaining and the use of warez.
Bittorrent links are not allowed.
(14a) The following international treaties apply:
-Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (Berne Convention) (Berne, 1886)
-Universal Copyright Convention (UCC) (Geneva, 1952)
-Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) (Marrakesh, 1994)
-World Intellectual Property Organization Copyright Treaty (WIPO Copyright Treaty) (Geneva, 1996)
(15) Books published before 1920 are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez. Books published after 1920 with permission from the author are considered free of copyright and e-books thereof are not warez provided it can within reason be established that permission has been given. All other books are considered copyrighted and e-books thereof are considered warez.
(16) Usernames that contain obscene or vulgar language or denigrate individuals and/or organisations are not allowed.
(17) Users may only delete their own posts on the grounds that they constitute a severe breach of these rules. Even when this is the case, the editing of the post to effect repairs must at all times be considered first.
The emptying of posts (substituting the content by non-content) is explicitely considered a breach of this rule.
Deletion of whole batches of posts harms thread continuity and the forum as a whole and the Moderation team will take action; in the most extreme case an account may be permanently banned to preserve the posted.
(18) Administrators (Admins) and Moderators (Mods) reserve the right to edit or remove any post at any time. The determination of what is construed as indecent, vulgar, spam, etc. is up to them and not to forum members.
(19) Aforementioned Admins and Mods reserve the right to edit this list of rules at anytime.
See more
See less

Beginner's thinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's thinking

Hi everyone...

Would be thankful if people could read how as a beginner I am approaching, handling chess.

I have very limited experience...but lately have been playing games online, playing with friends and playing my brother. Also I've been watching youtube tutorials too.

Anyway...and keep in mind, I'm a novice...from what I gather and have learned...this is my basic set of guidelines:

Opening:

- I aim to protect pieces...for example...if I see a double threat on a piece, I look to place double protection on it. Not very dynamic I know...but at this stage I treat the opening very carefully.
    - I'll look to castle when the chance comes...or maybe I won't if I think I can handle the position for now.
    - I look for a weak move by the other player...and start to pressure that a little.
    - Basically I try to protect things and keep things level...I don't want to be in a position where I lose a knight for a pawn for example. If I am going to lose a knight, then I want to gain something of equal kind of value.
    - I'm conscious of pawn structure...doubling etc...but I find it tough to get together awesome pawn chains

In the middle of the game:

- I start to zero in on whatever I think is the weakest area of the other player...and start to get pieces in that area...or in positions to exploit that area
    - I base attack on whether I can sustain attacking pieces in an attacking position for a couple of moves or more...put them somewhere where they can't easily be taken.
    - Meanwhile if the other player makes good moves I can withdraw those pieces without losing everything or without making a net loss...so I try not to overextend
    - I just maintain the protection of what I have
    - I watch the moves of the other player...look for threats, chances etc

the End

- Because I'm a novice and I have been playing friends around my level I don't really have too much experience in true endgames...I either win or lose owing to collections of opening and mid game blunders...anyway I understand that the King is very useful here when few pieces are left...and it's all about calculations...and a thousand other things.

Anyway...I suppose I would like opinions of my game thinking...am I on the right track?

thanks

Personally, if you want a person with a solid rating of 857 over around 800 games, then you should read this portion of mine. If you are past that, then you might not want to put up with my nonsense hehe - anyways... My two pennies that I hope to earn so that I can make ends meet one day. Here goes. Doe not try to play it simple. I repeat "Do NOT play it simple." You want to plan on something along the line of sacrificing material gains for mating situations. What does it gain to have a huge net gain in material possession when you lose the game? Nothing, that is what!haha Anyways, sorry for joking all the time. I have this bad habit of trying to make light of a serious issue so that it does not make you bored out of your mind. Anyways - just go for it. Try different combination. Set up plans. For instance "See how you can capture the pawn in the center of your board." This might seem easy. However, you will find that you end up losing a lot of material just to achieve that goal.

Comment

Thanks very much...

My main concern is to keep things balanced at the start of the game...I'm trying not to do dumb things like leave knights or bishops completely unprotected...which is what I used to do...complete beginner play...

So I want to play against people better...and I know they have traps and plans for me that I wont even see...but just to get 15 moves into the game at least...my aim is to protect pieces...don't leave them hanging...

I guess I'm not being very clear...

Anyhoo...thanks...and you are very funny

Comment

I do not know much more than that at my level. I hear of things like Center control. Light and Dark square bishops. Knights before Bishops (or is it the other way around?hehe) Don't know either way. Anyways - it is just too darn complex. I am nobody. It is hard. I am lucky if I get 1000 rating on a regular basis! I do not think much during the game. I have a short memory if you will. So I have no choice except to just play until the patterns get logged into my brains!

Comment

Right...well...I dunno either...I think I just have some basic rules that I use for my games...that I try to make work for me.

Comment

1. try to get as much of the center as you can. As white, if you can get in both e4 and d4, do so by all means.

2. generally, knights before bishops but the important thing is that you get them *all* out, and get castled, pronto. You mentioned that you might no castle at all, but unless the queens are exchanged early, I’d get into the habit.

3. excellent that you blunder check! Always try to look for mistakes by your opponent. That’s how chess games are won.

4. I believe keeping it simple and sound in the opening at first is a good idea. if you start looking for “hot” plays like pawn or piece sacrifices, you get into bad habits that can be rather hard to break.

Most of all, have fun!
            Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

don't listen to skwerly... he doesn't contribute much and knows nothing at all - zero - nada - nil - null - etc. hehe

just joking a bit

anyways - the idea may seem contradictory - but just play it by ear and see how you feel

if you think you can play complex moves now - have fun like skwerly said

Comment

Right...thanks Skewrly and God, I suppose Skewrly though that getting pieces toward the center and what not is pretty pointless unless they have some backup/ protection right? I can't just expect those pieces to hold the center with nothing more than the ugly looks on their faces...

Or then again maybe in taking those ugly unprotected pieces in the center, the other player is falling into some kind of trap...who knows...
                Last edited by hello people; 03-22-2012, 07:25 AM.

Comment

don't worry about it being a trap... sometimes - i just play for fun. i do not plan anything specific. sometimes i hang a piece. it is not always logical. hehe - like i would laugh just because i feel i need a pick up hehe

Comment

Sure, there are opening traps, and you’ll learn both how to play them and how to watch out for them as time goes on. Keep a solid pawn structure, get the pieces OUT and into play, and get castled. After that, you can pretty much wait for your opponent to attack you and watch for the blunders.
                    Alexander Alekhine is my chess hero.

An eerie chess short story: The Empty Chair

My newest chess story: Gamble: A Supernatural Chess Tale

Comment

listen to skwerly... the last post is pretty good in my humble opinion!hehe

Comment

Additional tips.

1.If you can sacrifice a pawn to expose his king under pressure in the center then do it.
                        2.When ahead in material exchange pieces not pawns.
                        3. Bishop is better than knight in open position.
                        4. If the center is close the usual course of action is the wings
                        5. To improve study(basics first) tactics, endgames, and middle games.
                        " Deep calculation is not what distinguishes the champions. It does not matter how far ahead you see if you don't understand what you are looking at. When I contemplate my move, I first must consider all the elements in the position so that i can develop a strategy and develop intermediate objectives"

-- Garry Kasparov--

"Tactics must be guided by strategy"

--- Garry Kasparov--

Comment

Great everyone...thanks a lot

I suppose I will just play, have fun, learn and practice

Comment

Originally posted by hello people View Post
                            Opening:

- I aim to protect pieces...for example...if I see a double threat on a piece, I look to place double protection on it. Not very dynamic I know...but at this stage I treat the opening very carefully.
                            I'm a beginner too, and this had been the approach I adopted. However, I'm only now seeing that this isn't enough. It's good to focus on development, but you really do need to give your opponent something to think about to - as the experts put it, 'develop with a threat'.

If you don't do that then the initiative is with your oppo, and that can be enough to lose a piece before you regain the initiative, if you ever do - it might just snowball into a rout that you can't contain.

I'm not saying go mad with a knight or bishop with a lone attack, but don't just passively develop your army. All you need is developing movement that can put a seed of doubt in your oppositions mind - enough to make him develop more quietly and maybe even lose a tempo.

Just the thoughts of another beginner!
                            "The most significant contribution to civilization since the invention of the wheel" Irving Chernev, on castling.

Comment

Open up with a center pawn. It's best to have two center pawns flanking each other, but always have at least one getting a foothold in the center.

Connect your rooks by move 10. Rapid development means everybody is ready to crash your opponent's party.

Always gangfight - use all your pieces and attack en masse. Never send one piece in to do a Rambo - it never works.

The king should be protected with the minimal number of pieces - mainly 3 pawns. No one stays home. Just like in Starship Troopers: "Everyone fights - no one quits!"

Whatever you do, fight for control of the center. It is the only area that is closest to every corner of the board.

Always grab the initiative. It means you have control of the game. Having control means pushing your will upon your opponent.

Tactics: it's not just for attack and breakfast anymore. It can be used as a defensive weapon - it makes the game so much easier when you know exactly what your opponent is up to, doesn't it?

Quick rule for piece activity (in order) in the endgame: Q - R - K - B/N. ALWAYS be active in the endgame.

Active Library (updated 07/11/15)
                              *I found I needed a change in study material as what I felt there was a difference in 'just studying chess' and 'studying chess for tournament play'.

The King In Jeopardy
                              Perfect Your Chess
                              Sharpen your Tactics
                              The Middlegame, Book I
                              ICC Tactical Trainer bot

"It's not the book. It's what you can understand and learn from it."

Comment

Working...
                              X